Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Two things:

Firstly, why does May seem to think the EU should come up with alternative plans. It is like if I said to my gym, "I want to cancel my membership but still enjoy some benefits of membership. Please tell me how to achieve this?"

Secondly, May seems to be packed into a corner and a second referendum may be the best way forward. If Leave wins again, she can conclusively say she has the public's mandate. If Remain wins and Brexit is cancelled, she can fall back to the "will of the public" argument she's been using and claim that continuing with it would be undemocratic.

No matter what happens, Brexit or no Brexit, I can't imagine the reputation of her premiership can be salvaged. It is quite an achievement to be despised by Leavers, Remainers and members of her own party.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Apologies if this has already been discussed but some of the carry-on on the part of the non-elected people in these negotiations is unhelpful to say the least. Tusk's instagram post about cherries yesterday was insulting. Unless he is an idiot he must have known the UK tabloid press would have jumped on this. You think these people would be aware of their history and the consequences of humiliating a country. So much of what is going on seems to be a desire to say 'I told you so' - you Brits thought you knew best but you didnt so now suffer'. Understandable I guess because even EU technocrats are human after all. But I worry about it and I worry about our cheerleading. Whatever our differences with the UK we wont find a greater ally in the EU once they leave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Penn wrote: »
    May won't back down. If ever she was going to do that, it would have been half an hour ago.
    May could never back down before the Tory conference; I think she will be able to towards the end of the year when how badly things will go (and the companies announce their Brexit plans in private to her on how many jobs are going away) is better known. She can then act on behalf of UK even though it's unfair bla bla bla.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,262 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

revelman wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been discussed but some of the carry-on on the part of the non-elected people in these negotiations is unhelpful to say the least. Tusk's instagram post about cherries yesterday was insulting. Unless he is an idiot he must have known the UK tabloid press would have jumped on this. You think these people would be aware of their history and the consequences of humiliating a country. So much of what is going on seems to be a desire to say 'I told you so' - you Brits thought you knew best but you didnt so now suffer'. Understandable I guess because even EU technocrats are human after all. But I worry about it and I worry about our cheerleading. Whatever our differences with the UK we wont find a greater ally in the EU once they leave.

It was a joke. Political humour and satire are important elements of British culture or at least they used to be.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Sorry mods, but did anyone else read this in Microsoft Sam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭swampgas

Rubbish, IMO. She asked for it. She has been insulting the intelligence of everyone else in the EU with her half-baked and frankly insane proposals for years. A gentle political joke at her expense is pretty tame.

Maybe TM (and the rest of the UK) need to wake the hell up and realise that this is not a game? Whinging about an instagram post that skewers the UK Prime Minister's delusional approach to Brexit shows a lack of understanding of what is at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If Leave wins again, she can conclusively say she has the public's mandate.

The EU are not giving her the finger because she has a weak mandate. The EU are dealing with the sovereign government of the UK, the question of a mandate is utterly irrelevant to the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Penn wrote: »
    May won't back down. If ever she was going to do that, it would have been half an hour ago.

I agree with that.

Whatever about her delivery, her words were chosen carefully. She will not have said anything which leaves her a hostage to fortune domestically.

I think at this stage it would be churlish to think that Theresa May doesn't understand the issues from the EU point of view - she may well underestimate or miscalculate the relative importance of elements of their position.

I don't think you are going to hear her use the word "Chequers" again.

I think she will pivot this argument back on to the NI border issues. After all, they are the only things which actually need to be sorted out for a withdrawal agreement.

She wanted the moral high ground with the domestic audience and I think she will get that. She has probably succeeded in stopping the "victim of salzburg" narrative in it's tracks.

Can't see that it will make a blind bit of difference to the EU, unless they really are worried about no deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

She talks about respect, but Tm herself has been attacking the role of the ECJ for years, blaming on everything.

She took over the leadership of the negotiations when Davies left, and yet she has the gall to come out and blame the EU for not letting her know why they have a problem with Chequers.

FOM, trying to split goods and services. There 2 of the top of my head. Yet she and HMG are claiming they have no idea!

She feel humiliated? How did she think Barnier was going to feel if the EU leaders had sidelined him after all his work? How did she think people felt when she went to Macron directly to try to get around the process?

How do you think Leo and Simon feel after takin her at her word back in December only to be told now that she was only messing and hadn't even bothered to come to a different solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Two things:

Firstly, why does May seem to think the EU should come up with alternative plans. It is like if I said to my gym, "I want to cancel my membership but still enjoy some benefits of membership. Please tell me how to achieve this?"

Secondly, May seems to be packed into a corner and a second referendum may be the best way forward. If Leave wins again, she can conclusively say she has the public's mandate. If Remain wins and Brexit is cancelled, she can fall back to the "will of the public" argument she's been using and claim that continuing with it would be undemocratic.

No matter what happens, Brexit or no Brexit, I can't imagine the reputation of her premiership can be salvaged. It is quite an achievement to be despised by Leavers, Remainers and members of her own party.

On your points, firstly it is more like telling the gym manager that you want to leave the gym and you will eat what you want, but still expect them to make you fitter.

On the second point, she did this herself. She has to get herself out of this. She has red lines, she needs to let them go for this to move forward. The EU cannot loosen the four pillars for a third country.

I am not cheerleading. I am sad that we are where we are. I am more upset that we are where we are because of lies told that were so easily debunked by critical thinking, and by one campaign cheating by overspending. I am also sad that people in the UK still believe this is the way to go even with all the indications being there that it will not end well. I can however only be sad for so long and if stubbornness will mean the UK will harm themselves and us then why should I not be angry with them? We will be harmed by Brexit, whichever one it is. But if you keep warning someone that touching a warm surface will hurt them and they still want to touch it, what emotion should we feel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Headline from the Express:
    Theresa May's FINEST HOUR: Furious PM goes to war with EU for 'making a mockery' of UK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Headline from the Express:

Quote:
    Theresa May's FINEST HOUR: Furious PM goes to war with EU for 'making a mockery' of UK

the mockery from TUsk-
    He followed it up by posting a photograph on Instagram of he and Mrs May looking at cakes with the caption: "A piece of cake, perhaps? Sorry, no cherries."

The EU has argued that the UK cannot "cherry-pick" elements from its rulebook.

Sorry mods, but did anyone else read this in Microsoft Sam?

Read what? My post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Since when is telling someone that you can's have your cake and eat it, and that you can't cherry pick only the rules you like, an insult? Do the Brits have some god given right to whatever deal takes their fancy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I think she would be better served in demanding respect from within her own party before lecturing those within the EU. Maybe a bit of self-examination wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The EU are not giving her the finger because she has a weak mandate. The EU are dealing with the sovereign government of the UK, the question of a mandate is utterly irrelevant to the EU.

Well I was thinking from the viewpoint of the Remainers in the UK. They would be silenced if a second referendum yielded a Leave result.

It was a joke. Political humour and satire are important elements of British culture or at least they used to be.

I seem to be in a minority of one here in thinking that Donald Tusk should have better things to be doing than antagonising half the British population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Well I was thinking from the viewpoint of the Remainers in the UK. They would be silenced if a second referendum yielded a Leave result.

If I was a UK citizen in the UK and Brexit actually happened, I'd be joining the Rejoin the EU campaign the next day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

I seem to be in a minority of one here in thinking that Donald Tusk should have better things to be doing than antagonising half the British population.

is it still half?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,262 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

17.4 million is not half of the British population.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

To be fair Tusk has been pretty fair with May throughout the process, I just read as a bit of harmless banter between friends. Nothing more than that.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Since when is telling someone that you can's have your cake and eat it, and that you can't cherry pick only the rules you like, an insult? Do the Brits have some god given right to whatever deal takes their fancy now?

Of course those words are not an insult. And I would expect him to say that to her in negotiations. But a public instagram post of that sort was unhelpful and was clearly going to rile the UK tabloids up and makes things even more intractable. Again it appears that this is a minority view on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭cml387

First response from European sources very mild, as I expected:
    Lisa O'Carroll, GuardianEU sources were relaxed about May’s speech. They see it as as a “positioning” ahead of the Tory party conference after what they see as a self-inflicted wound in Salzburg.

Of course those words are not an insult. And I would expect him to say that to her in negotiations. But a public instagram post of that sort was unhelpful and was clearly going to rile the UK tabloids up and makes things even more intractable. Again it appears that this is a minority view on here.

As anyone who's lived here will attest, the UK tabloids live in a state of permanent irascibility. This Instagram post will be soon forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Compelling viewing, if only for how she played up the "Iron Lady" persona for the home audience. As somebody mentioned, this is the performance that she wished she had given yesterday.

However, this has more or less made a No Deal Brexit the most likely outcome, for she threw the toys right out of the pram with this display. Hopefully not too many of the British people will have bought it, but it really was a pathetic speech that the EU could rip to shreds mercilessly.

The pound is sliding, May is stumbling and all the while the UK is heading for the precipice of a nasty divorce.

As for Northern Ireland and the backstop - our Government can feel rightly duped by the British, they clearly have no intention of adhering to what they signed up for late last year.

If only she hadn't called that election and the DUP weren't in the tent, we would more than likely have had the Northern Ireland border issue sorted. If only...

A truly crazy speech and performance, Mr Tusk et al must have been watching in a state of bewilderment...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bar_Prop

If I was a UK citizen in the UK and Brexit actually happened, I'd be joining the Rejoin the EU campaign the next day.
    I'd join the campaign to adopt the Euro, the campaign to enter Schengen, the campaign to fully metricate road signs and the campaign to give Gibraltar to Spain first.

From Angela Monaghan, a tweet on the guardian:

The pound is on course for its biggest one-day drop in 2018 against the dollar, after Theresa May said Brexit negotiations with the EU had reached an “impasse”.

Traders took fright as May’s comments were taken as a sign that a no deal Brexit is an increasingly likely outcome of talks, creating uncertainty which unsettles traders.

Sterling’s losses accelerated as the prime minister spoke and the pound is now down 1.5% or two cents against the dollar at $1.3062 and down 1.2% against the euro at €1.1131.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Another tweet that brings up an interesting question, although we know the answer to this already.

https://twitter.com/RichardHaass/status/1043090347621076992

Also, for interest the court case on whether article 50 can be withdrawn will go to the ECJ for a judgement.

Andy Wightman MSP and others v Secretary of State for Exiting the EU
    The Court of Session has ruled that a question about whether the United Kingdom’s decision to leave the European Union can be revoked should be answered by the Court of Justice of the European Union. The following is a summary of the court’s judgment.

There is also a potential case where the courts in the UK are asked about the validity of the EU referendum with the facts that there was illegal action from one side and whether there should have been better legislation to ensure fairness with the referendum. I am not sure whether this case would win as in the end the referendum was still only advisory and not to be acted on. At any time can the PM back out of her choice, but she seems determined to screw us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

If the British PM is so beholden to a bunch of tabloid newspapers, then what is the point of the EU talking to her, they should just invite the edititor of the Sun and Daily Mail to Brussels and cut out the middle woman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement