Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread IV

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Meanwhile, a no-deal Brexit would apparently see a flotilla of barges carrying generators shipped to Norn Iron, because of the danger to the single electricity market:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/11/whitehalls-potty-plan-to-keep-ni-lights-on-if-no-brexit-deal
    WTF ?

Would it not be would be cheaper to mothball Kilroot and Ballylumford for a few months next year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,269 ✭✭✭✭briany

Meanwhile, a no-deal Brexit would apparently see a flotilla of barges carrying generators shipped to Norn Iron, because of the danger to the single electricity market:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/11/whitehalls-potty-plan-to-keep-ni-lights-on-if-no-brexit-deal

Not to downplay the seriousness of a no-deal, but the amount of bad things that will happen in the event are starting to meld into one big abstract collage. I don't think the average Brexiteer is interested in what might happen until it happens. A bit like showing a teenager who's just started smoking a picture of a cancerous lung, telling them that they're more likely to go blind in old age, and that they probably won't even live to old age, the warnings can fall on deaf ears. What the Remain campaign has been unable to do so far is explain to Brexit voters how their lives will become unlivable if the UK crashes out of the EU.

Then again, I suppose that even if this could be done, so many Brexit voters would just blame it on political ineptitude and intractability rather than how right or wrong it was to vote for Brexit in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jesus, is there any thought to what the long term solution is and how long would it take implement. How long will NI have to run off barges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,609 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

briany wrote: »
    You do wonder why, at some point, May doesn't just say 'sod this!', write a conciliatory about being unable to unite the party, but God save the Queen and all that and head back into private life, laying low for a few years.

Mogg has even less of a chance of uniting the party. He's more of an ideologue than May, so I fail to see how his hard line won't prompt a rebellion in the other direction. He does have the dead man's switch of simply missing the deadline and allowing the country to slide into no deal - a situation he maintains is more agreeable than some other alternatives. However, having the preside over the potential ensuing chaos will soon take much of the shine off of the smooth-talking 'Moggster'.

Where's Spitting Image when you need it?

Because she has absolutely no legacy?

She doesn't want to go down as the weakest PM in British History?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

WTF ?

Would it not be would be cheaper to mothball Kilroot and Ballylumford for a few months next year ?

?
    Why would you mothball facilities when you don't have enough generation capacity. That would just compound the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Trasna1 wrote: »
    ?
    Why would you mothball facilities when you don't have enough generation capacity. That would just compound the problem.
    Because of the single market.

The UK wants to trade goods and services freely in the EU, doesn't want a border in Ireland, but has a problem with the Single Electricity Market on this island, that they signed up to ? Yeah. That's Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Because of the single market.

The UK wants to trade goods and services freely in the EU, doesn't want a border in Ireland, but has a problem with the Single Electricity Market on this island, that they signed up to ? Yeah. That's Brexit.
    I'm sorry but I still don't understand how closing two major power stations in NI prevents electricity rationing in an event of the destruction of the all island electricity market.

In the event of a hard Brexit the circuit breakers which connect the republic to NI will be thrown open. NI will have to produce enough on it's own and/or import over Moyle IC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I can’t see the circuit breakers being thrown open, but I would probably say you’d see the costs going up, weaker £, tariffs etc etc

Given that ESB owns NIE and various energy companies operate on an all island basis, it will have to be worked around.

I can’t seriously see a scenario where the circuit breakers are thrown and NI is plunged into darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

It's easy to say "I can't see it hapening", obviously no one want's it to. But when the legal framework for something evaoprates, the thing stops. This is true of the all island eletricity market, pilots licences, trade, and a host of other vital and everyday operations that are the bedrock of everyday life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Im really interested to see how things are going to go down with Gibraltar. The Spanish have said that they cannot continue as part of the EU, no matter the Brexit outcome. But if they're not part of the EU, they will be destroyed. There are only around 20k people on the damn peninsula. It will be effectively a blockade untill such a time as they recognise they cannot continue.

The Spanish are particularly strong against Gibraltar. They harass their vessels if they stray outside of 'UK waters' (a patch of sea surrounded by Spanish controlled water). Equally, the Gibraltararians have been very strong in their equivocations around the Spanish entering their space. These are skirmishes which have been going on - on a small scale - for some time, and are quite aggravating for those involved.

The Spanish are, and will continue to be quite strong on this point.

The time is gone where the British will threaten to go to war over the remnants of empire as they once did with the Malvinas (for British people, read 'the Falklands', motto: "Desire the Right"). At least in current circumstances where they cannot afford to make any more enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Im really interested to see how things are going to go down with Gibraltar. The Spanish have said that they cannot continue as part of the EU, no matter the Brexit outcome. But if they're not part of the EU, they will be destroyed. There are only around 20k people on the damn peninsula. It will be effectively a blockade untill such a time as they recognise they cannot continue.

The Spanish are particularly strong against Gibraltar. They harass their vessels if they stray outside of 'UK waters' (a patch of sea surrounded by Spanish controlled water). Equally, the Gibraltararians have been very strong in their equivocations around the Spanish entering their space. These are skirmishes which have been going on - on a small scale - for some time, and are quite aggravating for those involved.

The Spanish are, and will continue to be quite strong on this point.

The time is gone where the British will threaten to go to war over the remnants of empire as they once did with the Malvinas (for British people, read 'the Falklands', motto: "Desire the Right"). At least in current circumstances where they cannot afford to make any more enemies.

I haven't heard of any mention of Gibraltar in the reports around the negotiations and it will certainly be interesting to watch. Given that they voted 96% to remain in the EU, and as they are not part of the UK, it will be a highly symbolic vestige of Empire that JRM and his ilk will find it very difficult to explain in terms of hardening Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,116 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm calling BS on this one.

There is no way the lights are going to be switched out on NI if there isn't a deal. Think about it logically, are they going to take away power from hospitals, schools, homes, etc?

Of course they aren't, something would be worked out.

And anyway, surely if a product like electricity is supplied on an all-Ireland basis, borders don't come into it? electricity doesn't need to be inspected at the border ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,774 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

People keep saying that something will be worked out but the likes of JRM seem to be totally set against anything being worked out.

They fully believe in a no deal. That implies nothing being worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Leroy42 wrote: »
    People keep saying that something will be worked out but the likes of JRM seem to be totally set against anything being worked out.

They fully believe in a no deal. That implies nothing being worked out.

There's only a decent chance of a no deal right now. That being said the pragmatists and the saner parts of the government know the chaos of a no deal and are likely trying to push the idiotic Bullshyteers outta the way. What's a joke is that its been allowed to last so long but the saner elements need to start being far more assertive and facing down these fools by making clear the consequences of a no deal arent fearmongering but a matter of fact and if the fools have no viable alternative then they put up and shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Panrich

Infini wrote: »
    There's only a decent chance of a no deal right now. That being said the pragmatists and the saner parts of the government know the chaos of a no deal and are likely trying to push the idiotic Bullshyteers outta the way. What's a joke is that its been allowed to last so long but the saner elements need to start being far more assertive and facing down these fools by making clear the consequences of a no deal arent fearmongering but a matter of fact and if the fools have no viable alternative then they put up and shut up.

The big problem is that the consequences are not being outlined properly and the media is complicit in this. You can expect the rags like the Express and Mail to ignore the calamities of no deal but the BBC is in dereliction if it’s duties.

Corbyn is also doing his country a disservice by ignoring the no deal consequences and just nibbling around the edges of the issue. Any self respecting opposition leader should be a hero to remainers at this stage of the fiasco.

The upshot of all this ignoring of the no deal elephant is the UK is sleepwalking to a potential disaster scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm calling BS on this one.

There is no way the lights are going to be switched out on NI if there isn't a deal. Think about it logically, are they going to take away power from hospitals, schools, homes, etc?

And anyway, surely if a product like electricity is supplied on an all-Ireland basis, borders don't come into it? electricity doesn't need to be inspected at the border ffs.

If hard brexit happens the GFA is likely also then torn up so any agreements based on the GFA like the all ireland electricity market are also similarly gone too, therefore theres no agreement to continue sending them electricity which means we need to stop, not because were being d1cks or anything, but because that's how international agreements between 2 different countries work.

Also the lights wont be switched off they will have electricity, just not enough, hospitals and other critical services will obviously prioritised for what they will have.

The attitude that "something will be worked out" is pretty naive considering the current situation regarding food potentially rotting on trucks in the result of a hard brexit. They have not started planning for how to process any imports in the case of that eventuality which they should have been starting this time last year. Weve been hiring for a year to deal with it as well as getting infrastructure in place along with most of the other countries that have ports that sail to the UK. So far the UK have done nothing for this.

Electricity you can get by without its food that will be the real issue come a hard brexit. Look what happened after a week of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

NIMAN wrote: »

Yes, of course, and this something would be what we call a deal.

But there is no sign of that deal actually being made.

The no-deal catastrophe with the lights out and the planes grounded and the port at Dover closed happens on April 1st unless this deal is ready for approval in October, and the UK Government are planning to publish their opening position paper on that deal... today.

Yes, of course, and this something would be what we call a deal.

But there is no sign of that deal actually being made.

The no-deal catastrophe with the lights out and the planes grounded and the port at Dover closed happens on April 1st unless this deal is ready for approval in October, and the UK Government are planning to publish their opening position paper on that deal... today.

It's apparently been extended to December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I haven't heard of any mention of Gibraltar in the reports around the negotiations and it will certainly be interesting to watch. Given that they voted 96% to remain in the EU, and as they are not part of the UK, it will be a highly symbolic vestige of Empire that JRM and his ilk will find it very difficult to explain in terms of hardening Brexit.

Gibraltar is more than symbolic. There is a strong military presence on (and in) the rock. It's a foothold and an airfield in the Mediterranean and an outpost at the very southern tip of Europe.

The Spanish would love to have it and would go to extremes to bring that about. It's not that long ago that the border was sealed between Spain and Gibraltar. It wouldn't be beyond possibility that it would be closed again. The Madrid government don't really care that a large percentage of the people of La Linea earn their crust on The Rock. The prize is worth the cost.

I really don't think so.

The only way they could still be talking in December about a deal that comes into effect in March is if the deal is that nothing happens in March. Nothing at all.

There simply wouldn't be time for 27+ parliaments to ratify anything more complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭trellheim

There has been no request on either side for an A50 extension , unless I am missing something ? May stood up last week and said end of March.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Gibraltar is more than symbolic. There is a strong military presence on (and in) the rock. It's a foothold and an airfield in the Mediterranean and an outpost at the very southern tip of Europe.

The Spanish would love to have it and would go to extremes to bring that about. It's not that long ago that the border was sealed between Spain and Gibraltar. It wouldn't be beyond possibility that it would be closed again. The Madrid government don't really care that a large percentage of the people of La Linea earn their crust on The Rock. The prize is worth the cost.

I remember that last year, that right wing Brexiteer Redwood threatening Spain with all out war over Gibraltar, https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/02/britain-and-eu-worse-off-without-brexit-deal-says-michael-fallonalong with Michael Howard.

I do not think Spain need worry too much as I doubt they would stand alone over Gibraltar.

Besides, what would the UK do without their Spanish food imports?

I remember that last year, that right wing Brexiteer Redwood threatening Spain with all out war over Gibraltar, https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/02/britain-and-eu-worse-off-without-brexit-deal-says-michael-fallonalong with Michael Howard.

I do not think Spain need worry too much as I doubt they would stand alone over Gibraltar.

Besides, what would the UK do without their Spanish food imports?

Yep, I remember laughing at the thought of the UK going to war with Europe over Gib.

It's still an important asset to the UK, and Spain have always been very serious about getting their hands on it. That means that it's another fair sized wrinkle that needs to be ironed out in the Brexit deal, and it hasn't really been talked about, that I'm aware of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yep, I remember laughing at the thought of the UK going to war with Europe over Gib.

It's still an important asset to the UK, and Spain have always been very serious about getting their hands on it. That means that it's another fair sized wrinkle that needs to be ironed out in the Brexit deal, and it hasn't really been talked about, that I'm aware of.

I think that Spain will close the border and throw away the key until they get it back. The Gib lot will prefer the Spanish to the Brits if it costs them their livelihoods.

There is a LOT of people who commute to work in the Rock from La Linea and Algeciras .... this is a very charged situation not dissimilar to NI

and the leaking begins.... twitter beginning to heat up #howlongwillthewhitepaperlast

trellheim wrote: »
    There is a LOT of people who commute to work in the Rock from La Linea and Algeciras .... this is a very charged situation not dissimilar to NI

Which is why I find it odd that it isn't seen as something to be included in the Chequers love-in.

There are a lot of UK ex-pats commuting to Gib from as far away as Estepona, San Pedro and even further. I know there is huge concern among this group over what might happen with Gib.

From what I'm reading, it appears the White paper will simply be simply rejected by the EU.

Then we will be back to choosing Norway or Canada, with the clock ticking.

Which is why I find it odd that it isn't seen as something to be included in the Chequers love-in.

There are a lot of UK ex-pats commuting to Gib from as far away as Estepona, San Pedro and even further. I know there is huge concern among this group over what might happen with Gib.

Because it doesn't involve the mainland. Simple. They hardly care about NI, why would any of them care one jot about Gibraltar.

It will just be sorted out is there expectation, no need to actually do something about it.

I do wonder will the likes of Kate Hoey etc be so quick to dismiss the concerns over Gib, when they finally getting around to thinking of it, as they were with NI.

Chequers was about PR, getting something out. It didn't cover the actual details - that might start to come out in the white paper but to be honest I'm not to expectant.

• Advertisement

From what I'm reading, it appears the White paper will simply be simply rejected by the EU.

Then we will be back to choosing Norway or Canada, with the clock ticking.

I will be surprised if it is rejected outright. The noises coming from the EU the last few days is that it is a basis for negotiation, that it signals the UK have reached a position and that is a start.

From the actual negotiations, I don't think it will make one jot of difference. The EU understand that possible rejection will see May forced to leave and thus they are faced with at best a delay due to another campaign and/or leadership contest and at worst the likes of JRM taking over with is never, never attitude.

The NATO thing from trump will do the headlines I'd say today and this may come out to a fairly calm response

JRM taking over with is never, never attitude.
    It is great to be the hurler in the ditch !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1017353041354350593

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1017338055211003904

Within 12 months, very likely to see a pro-Indy majority, given that starting point, unless it's the softest of Brexits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

It is great to be the hurler in the ditch !

Id say he is glad he is RC, he'll never will hv to take charge and responsibility

• Advertisement

what catholic ? Tony Blairs a catholic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

AFAIR, he didn't convert to Catholicism until he'd already stepped down.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    AFAIR, he didn't convert to Catholicism until he'd already stepped down.

That said, unlike with the monarchy, there's no constitutional requirement for the PM to be an Anglican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

That said, unlike with the monarchy, there's no constitutional requirement for the PM to be an Anglican.

True, but doesn't the Prime Minister appoint Anglican Bishops? Would there possibly be an issue with a Catholic doing this?

Although, I think this conversation is moot - JRM won't be PM any time soon.

After he left office.

• Advertisement

Catholics can't appoint non Catholics to positions in churches not in communion with Rome. Otherwise any catholic could create their own bishops, priests etc.

I read the headline and stopped.

Mutual recognition and harmonisation. Feck sake. That argument has been put to bed ages ago and this is the big idea.

Take GDPR for example. Will the UK sign up or not, and if not what is the alternative and doesn't that impose additional costs to all business.

So they completely agree that standards, known and accepted, and inherent in any frictionless trade. Which they have at the moment. But they want to get out of that so that they can set up the same, but now totally separate regulations which just happen to have the same end point as the EU ones. And they are going to have to comply in the EU timelines.

This is what the voters voted for. Taking back control by massively increasing bureaucracy and costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1017353041354350593

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1017338055211003904

Within 12 months, very likely to see a pro-Indy majority, given that starting point, unless it's the softest of Brexits.

not much movement on the indie question really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Panrich

It reads as though written for a domestic audience rather than negotiating with the EU. It re-emphasises the UK red lines at every opportunity just in case anyone might forget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And a lot of those works are dependent on Gibraltar being part of EU; once that goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

White paper stresses that the backstop wont need to be used, might indicate that the UK is preparing to accept the supposedly unacceptable and agree a backstop that would keep NI in the Single Market and Customs Union on the basis that the backstop will never be needed anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement