Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anthracite wrote: »
    Listening to Sammy Wilson prattling away with nonsense, backed up by Kate Hoey, it really is a disgrace that Sinn Fein can't be arsed to represent the other 50% or so of people in NI in these debates. This debate is completely one-sided.

I absolutely detest Sinn Féin, but they don't refuse to take their seats because they "can't be arsed".

They should take them however, for the same reconciliatory reasons as McGuinness meeting the Queen, Unionists being allowed in the Seanad and so on. It's one of the points they haven't folded on yet but probably will have to at some point for reasons such as this.

Enzokk wrote: »
    I couldn't make out, did he just say the only reason there is a frontier on the island is because of the GFA? I am sure he said that this is the reason why there is the debate now and it seems that if there was no GFA, there would be no border to sort out?

Can't really remember exactly.. I think he was saying that the only reason there's a problem on Ireland's end is because it recognised NI as separate in the GFA. If that sounds stupid, don't shoot the messenger.

He was a bit of a clown overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

A country at war with itself, crazy stuff, unlikely to end in anything but disaster the way the cards lay, and we may well be bearing the brunt of it, along with Belgium and Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

it really is a disgrace that Sinn Fein can't be arsed to represent the other 50% or so of people in NI in these debates.

Have you ever even bothered trying to predict what would happen if SF were in the British parliament arguing against a hard Brexit?

Try thinking it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭trellheim

Vicky Ford needs a boot up the behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Have you ever even bothered trying to predict what would happen if SF were in the British parliament arguing against a hard Brexit?

Try thinking it out.
    So it's important that their constitueunts' views are not heard? Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,190 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I`m not a Sinn Fein supporter, but they are following the mandate given to them by those that voted for them not to attend Westminster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

charlie14 wrote: »
    I`m not a Sinn Fein supporter, but they are following the mandate given to them by those that voted for them not to attend Westminster.

Aye, but they could do our country a great service as things are?

• Advertisement

Mel Stride seems to be saying its locked with the amendments looks like its doubling down and thats the opening position for the negotiations. its gonna be a hard border lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

axer wrote: »
    This is exactly what Theresa May is hoping for...

She's the bloody PM - she shouldn't be 'hoping' for something at this stage. She should be leading and actively making things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

How do you think it would go down if 'those IRA terrorist guys' were in the British parliament calling for a soft Brexit?

Try thinking it out.

Right here we go.... divisions .... there's a rake of amendments to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The whole things a mess.

The real important fact to know is that about 65% of constituencies voted leave. So in any general election there’s up to 50%+ of the electorate in 65% of constituencies who could defect to UKIP - we’ve seen UKIP grow at the expense of the Tories already in the polls.

The remainers on the other seem more loyal to their party.

The result of this is an election where the two main parties will probably be pro Brexit. Which leaves remainers bereft.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Just heard read out that they are going to now break Parliament up a week early.

Not like they have anything important to discuss is it?

It's a laughing stock at this stage, since the vote we've had distractions of elections, and all this in-fighting and various other things and anything to actually avoid tacking the issues at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,190 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye, but they could do our country a great service as things are?

I do not see how. Their 6 seats in Westminster numerically would make no difference.

The party whose seats could make a difference though are the DUP, yet they seem happy enough to screw their constituents plus those of everyone else in NI and the Republic on Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just heard on Sky News that someone/ some group have proposed to Parliament that they bring the summer recess forward.

So... things are getting difficult? Let's go on holidays! FFS! There should be no summer recess.

We need new words for unbelievable. We need a new GUBU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

trellheim wrote: »
    Right here we go.... divisions .... there's a rake of amendments to do so.

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1018948684367695873

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Just heard on Sky News that someone/ some group have proposed to Parliament that they bring the summer recess forward.

So... things are getting difficult? Let's go on holidays! FFS! There should be no summer recess.

Just posted the same, couldn't believe it when I heard it for the first time. History is not going to be kind to this group of politicians, it's anything to deflect from the issues at hand, any distraction that they can possibly find whatsoever. The sad thing for the British people is this is not Carry On Governing, it's actually for real.

If I was resident in the UK right now, I would be very worried, it seems all sense of common sense has gone out of the window here and nothing would surprise you anymore whatsoever, it's totally surreal.

And Corbyn doesn't come out of this scot free either, the fact that there is no proper credible opposition to this complete shower enables them to get away with a lot of stuff they wouldn't with proper opposition.

Wilful dereliction of duty of governing pretty much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Does that mean Amendment 37 (NI/GB Customs Border legality) doesn't go to a vote, or is later on tonight?

Does that mean Amendment 37 (NI/GB Customs Border legality) doesn't go to a vote, or is later on tonight?

Other two ERG amendments must be tomorrow.

No it is scheduled for third reading and off to the Lords . Amendments 37 and 73 will break it if they get passed through.

Government wins first vote 316-289.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Do the MPs vote from their office or in the chamber?

Do the MPs vote from their office or in the chamber?

It's like the Dáil, in that they go through Yes and No lobbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Nody wrote: »
    The deal was signed in January already; basically UK gets to pay more for the pleasure of keeping their immigration controls as now. Here's a video of the signing.
    one can take a lot of no notice of any written agreement concerning the uk, they are inclined to tear them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's like the D, in that they go through Yes and No lobbies.

OK thanks and forgive my ignorance. The lobbies must be out of view on the live TV so. Unless I am doubly ignorant and am missing that also! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

J Mysterio wrote: »

Not someone; May is trying to bring it forward to reduce the potential time for a leadership coup or revolt... Yes, she's that desperate...
    The government has tabled a motion to bring forward MPs' summer break amid growing pressure on Theresa May, The Independent understands.

Ministers want Parliament to rise on Thursday rather than next Tuesday as originally scheduled.

It comes amid mounting pressure on Theresa May over her Brexit strategy, with Tory Brexiteers having threatened to trigger a vote of no confidence in her.
    flutered wrote: »
    one can take a lot of no notice of any written agreement concerning the uk, they are inclined to tear them up
    France got the UK choppers directly deployed in Mali to support them and more cash up front; if UK wants to pull out they already paid the piper on that one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

She's the bloody PM - she shouldn't be 'hoping' for something at this stage. She should be leading and actively making things happen.
    She has lost control of the party I think given the circumstances its the smartest thing I have seen her do since she became PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement