Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But there are a lot of instances were ROI is treated as a province of the UK is terms of setting up HQ, and distribution.

Will these companies look to set up a separate HQ in Ireland, or through their EU office rather than continue through the UK?

And as mentioned already, in technical terms we are very close to the UK in things like plugs, driver side etc. We are not a bog enough market on our own for companies to have two centres so won't this have a knock on effect, both in terms of price and availability, in the ROI market?

The Tory front bench are speaking like they're nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But there are a lot of instances were ROI is treated as a province of the UK is terms of setting up HQ, and distribution.

Will these companies look to set up a separate HQ in Ireland, or through their EU office rather than continue through the UK?

And as mentioned already, in technical terms we are very close to the UK in things like plugs, driver side etc. We are not a bog enough market on our own for companies to have two centres so won't this have a knock on effect, both in terms of price and availability, in the ROI market?
    Time go fully metric including continental plugs then. Nothing to do with Brexit UK. Eliminate any dependence on them. Move away from the common law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Vote taking place now.

• Advertisement

I reckon it'll pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

I do think our government (ROI) need to start being open about the real possibility of a hard brexit and what plans they are putting in place to reduce the risks and/or effects.

What are government departments doing?
    One website I came accross just recently is the Enterprise Ireland "Prepare For Brexit" website.
    Irish companies can and should be taking immediate action to mitigate the potential risks and position themselves to take advantage of the opportunities
    It includes details of a grant to help companies develop an action plan, a Brexit SME Scorecard and details of Brexit Advisory Clinics that EI are holding around the country.

As someone who believes that as a country we should be trying to wean ourselves off the one-trick-pony that is FDI and encouraging indigenous industry, this, IMO, is good to see.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I reckon it'll pass.

Nothing would surprise me at this stage to be honest, so I wouldn't bank on it.

The whole thing is so tragic that it's like from one unbelievable event to the next.

devnull wrote: »
    Nothing would surprise me at this stage to be honest, so I wouldn't bank on it.

The whole thing is so tragic that it's like from one unbelievable event to the next.

If nothing else, I'm just amazed that parliamentlive.tv is better than Netflix these days.

Tory Whips apparently the busiest they've been for a while tonight is being reported in a few places, apparently as well there are behind the scenes efforts being made to get some kind of concession to make people have a last minute change of heart to vote against.

Personally if it was me who was voting I'd not allow myself to be bought with some hollow promise that probably doesn't mean an awful lot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

McGiver wrote: »
    Time go fully metric including continental plugs then. Nothing to do with Brexit UK. Eliminate any dependence on them. Move away from the common law.

The problem with electric plugs is the enormous cost of change with just this one item.

Just to give an example. In my house I have about 50 plugs and about the same number of sockets. Now I would guess the cost of changing a plug at ten euros and 100 euros per socket. Now that assumes that the basic wires are Ok, but the house is wired according to the standards of the time of the last rewire. Now the new plugs would require a different layout which might more than double the cost. I would buy a few electrical items a year so it would take more than a decade for the changeover to occur by osmosis.

As for change over to driving on the left, well we should have done this forty years ago when we were planning all these new roads and motorways. It is a bit late now. It might be doable in the case of a UI but even then it is unlikely to be worth it.

The problem with electric plugs is the enormous cost of change with just this one item.

Just to give an example. In my house I have about 50 plugs and about the same number of sockets. Now I would guess the cost of changing a plug at ten euros and 100 euros per socket. Now that assumes that the basic wires are Ok, but the house is wired according to the standards of the time of the last rewire. Now the new plugs would require a different layout which might more than double the cost. I would buy a few electrical items a year so it would take more than a decade for the changeover to occur by osmosis.

As for change over to driving on the left, well we should have done this forty years ago when we were planning all these new roads and motorways. It is a bit late now. It might be doable in the case of a UI but even then it is unlikely to be worth it.

It all sounds very complicated. And as you state, apart from the basic change plugs, there is the roll out, wiring standards etc.

Would make you think that this one change is very difficult and we would probably need quite an extension review and planning period.

But I'm sure Brexit isn't as tough as that! I mean, nobody has even mentioned changing regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

I presume you mean driving on the right (?), but in fairness the other poster didn't mention it.

As you imply, we couldn't have done it without a United Ireland at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,491 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

serfboard wrote: »
    I presume you mean driving on the right (?), but in fairness the other poster didn't mention it.

As you imply, we couldn't have done it without a United Ireland at any rate.

We could phase it in. Trucks and buses first and so on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

serfboard wrote: »
    One website I came accross just recently is the Enterprise Ireland "Prepare For Brexit" website.It includes details of a grant to help companies develop an action plan, a Brexit SME Scorecard and details of Brexit Advisory Clinics that EI are holding around the country.

As someone who believes that as a country we should be trying to wean ourselves off the one-trick-pony that is FDI and encouraging indigenous industry, this, IMO, is good to see.

It might be this, but I signed up -somewhere- to the Irish government's Brexit bulletin. Get it by email every fortnight I think it is. I'll figure out where I got it and stick the link in here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It all sounds very complicated. And as you state, apart from the basic change plugs, there is the roll out, wiring standards etc.

Would make you think that this one change is very difficult and we would probably need quite an extension review and planning period.
    Simply require over let's say a 10 to 20 year period that all products come with both types and all new houses, changes to power etc. follow the new standard while providing discounts for the work to be done via tax deductions (will keep people employed during downtime etc. to get such work done). Add in with better insulation and similar to remove heat loss etc. and society in general will benefit on top of it. But that requires leadership to look beyond the next 6 months which is rare in politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

At this point they should just say go ahead if you want, if they do lose they wont be the ones who can be blamed when the idiots cause it to all go to shyte.

Heaven forbid some of the MPs might risk their seat for the sake of their nation.

Seeing a few places now where accusations of bullying have been made against the Tory whips.

This is getting very very ugly, I'd love to say I'm surprised, but really I am not.

It says it's all about what a mess Westminster is now that this carry-on is being used by the government.

The lot of them should be ashamed of themselves.

• Advertisement

At least the medicine one passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,837 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tory rebels being threatened with General Election if they defeat the Govt.

There's no way in hell TM is going to call a general election, it's going to be political suicide for her with latest poll numbers and it isn't going to leave her any better off than she is now. This is a pure stunt to try and talk some of them down from voting against the government.

If the remainers have any shred of dignity they should face this down and stand up for themselves. For too long though they've caved in under government pressure whereas the Brexiteers haven't backed down so much and got more of what they want.

The question on the vote may be as well be for these guys:
    Party or Country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

With any luck the sensible ones will suck it up and realise that not all of their constituents are as stupid as their representatives.

I don't think a second referendum would reaffirm the result of the first.

But then, never doubt the staunchness of a Brit who feels their sovereignty is threatened. Spun the wrong way and if people who wanted to remain don't turn out, it could veer in the other direction.

Any General Election would be an analogue of this.

devnull wrote: »
    Seeing a few places now where accusations of bullying have been made against the Tory whips.

This is getting very very ugly, I'd love to say I'm surprised, but really I am not.

It says it's all about what a mess Westminster is now that this carry-on is being used by the government.

The lot of them should be ashamed of themselves.

Really no different than any crunch vote in any parliament though is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,427 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Infini wrote: »
    At this point they should just say go ahead if you want, if they do lose they wont be the ones who can be blamed when the idiots cause it to all go to shyte.

They are more concerned about their seats I'd expect

Well that's that dead then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The Government has just averted defeat on the customs bill with a majority of six (307 vs 301).

John Major was interviewed by ITV's Robert Peston, oh how the calibre of UK politician has declined since he was in power.

Makes so many points skewering the Brexit argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzJBoSrIW04

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Doubt it, they will cave like they have done throughout.

Party first.

You called it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,427 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The Government has just averted defeat on the customs bill with a majority of six (307 vs 301).

That Parliament is way too closely split on Brexit. Every vote is now a case of the government winning by a handful of votes.

It's crazy to think that something with such far reaching ramifications for everyone in the UK is on such a knife edge.

Can the government really claim a mandate to do this?

Surely for any government to have moral authority on this at this stage, a handful of votes is nowhere near enough..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement