Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭trellheim

Fair play for having a go at the phrase "Garda Siochana"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Fascinating the difference in the comments sections when Tusk or Juncker say something that the Mail/Express people don't like as opposed to when Leo says something.
    They don't get stereotypically derogatory towards the entire population of Luxembourg, or suggest threatening their military power against Poland. I understand it's partly that Leo is the serving PM whereas the other two are exPMs with different roles now, but there does seem to be a healthy dashing of anti-Irish racism in there.

In fairness, the comments towards Juncker are pretty vitriolic, labelling him a drunk (helped by The Sun front page today) and are little more positive towards Tusk, albeit a bit more generic -since they don't really have anything to throw at him.

I take your point though that the comments generally haven't widened to slurs on their respective nations, though they sometimes refer to Luxembourg as a nothing country/tax haven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

In her speech today TM stated
    "The seamless border is a foundation stone on which the Belfast Agreement rests, allowing for the just and equal treatment for the identity, ethos and aspirations of both communities.

"Anything that undermines that is a breach of the spirit of the Belfast Agreement - an agreement that we have committed to protect in all its parts and the EU says it will respect."
    "It is now for the EU to respond, not simply to fall back on previous positions which have already been proven unworkable but to evolve their position in kind."

So, the UK had a solution, being part of the EU, decided to opt out of that, which the EU is still offering, but according to her it is up to the EU to come up with a solution, rather than stick to the agreements that she herself had already entered into.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,837 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Barnier press conference pushed back to 12:30. No doubt digesting Theresa May's speech.

Question is to what extent the EU will push back here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Leroy42 wrote: »

So, the UK had a solution, being part of the EU, decided to opt out of that, which the EU is still offering, but according to her it is up to the EU to come up with a solution, rather than stick to the agreements that she herself had already entered into.

The EU's solutions are only unworkable to the point the UK doesn't want to agree to it.

• Advertisement

Barnier press conference pushed back to 12:30. No doubt digesting Theresa May's speech.
    I suspect at the same time Raab had given in an advance copy , so that chats could be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Breathtaking really. "We are committed to the open border but we're doing somethiing that will change that and it's all your fault because it just is"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They can be quite choosy and unpredictable when it comes to deciding which agreements they fancy adhering to today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think this will be like the White Paper itself, the EU will stick to harmless language like "We look forward to hearing at the negotiations how this paper/speech affects the British position" blah blah, ignore it until it goes away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

judeboy101 wrote: »
    A by election can be triggered by 4000 signatures in north Antrim due to paisley suspension. He has a large majority but it fluctuates from 18k to 28k, if the other parties agreed on a compromise uup candidate who was pro eu the might squeeze him out. They could make it a "vote on brexit" in the unionist heartland.
    Extreme wishful thinking, north Antrim is as safe a seat as you'll get.

• Advertisement

"If your activity relies on certificates, licenses or authorisations issued by UK authorities or by bodies based in the UK – or held by someone established in the UK – these may no longer be valid in the EU post-Brexit. You may need to transfer or seek new ones issued by an EU27-based body or authority. This is the case, in particular, for certificates, licenses and authorisations issued for goods (for example in the automotive sector, or the medical devices sector) and for services (for instance in the transport, broadcasting, or the financial sector). You should now take all the necessary steps to transfer certificates, licences or authorisations issued in the UK to the EU27, or obtain new ones."

http://europa.eu/rapid/attachment/IP-18-4545/en/IP-18-4545%20Brexit%20Preparedness%20Factsheet.pdf

Barnier press conference will be live here

https://ec.europa.eu/avservices/ebs/live.cfm?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Any idea where we can watch it?

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Any idea where we can watch it?

https://ec.europa.eu/avservices/ebs/live.cfm?page=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

swampgas wrote: »
    Theresa May sems to be the personification of the Tory party, and maybe the UK as a whole. I was about to say that anyone else with the tiniest hint of self-respect or integrity would have resigned already, but the two contenders to succeed her, Boris and Rees-Mogg, are just as unprincipled and mendacious.

IMO even Jeremy Corbyn is complicit, as he won't state his own position on the EU honestly, instead ducking and diving while he hopes the Tory party self-destructs, and he is refusing to hold the government to account.

Is this the new normal, the new British post-truth politics?

Even if Brexit is averted (which I very much doubt) the reputational damage already done to the UK is staggering, and will not be undone easily.

The British state has shown itself on the world stage to be unreliable, untrustworthy, unprincipled, dishonest, disrespectful, rude, insulting, boorish, incompetent, arrogant and lazy, to an extent that is really quite amazing.

They have alienated many of their erstwhile EU allies and don't seem to care.

It seems hard to avoid the conclusion that the UK is rapidly becoming a failed state.

To be fair while I agree with most of the post, the good news is Boris won't be replacing May.

I have also said before in other threads there is absolutely ZERO chance of Mogg replacing May, ignore betting odds etc.

The fact is the party MPS are remainers in the majority and if its a brexiter replacing May it will be Javid, Gove (not as unreasonable as Mogg tbf) who will replace her. Small mercies etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

In the meantime, France is disgruntled, to put it mildly, with the ERG amendments:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/20/france-minister-nathalie-loiseau-brexit-concessions-theresa-may-commons

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Delayed press conference always worries me, you never know what the delay is about.

Looking at the BBC coverage of Theresa May this morning the message is very much that they have moved their position and its now up to the EU to do the same. That doesn't make sense but that is the message.

The second message is very much still that there will be no border between Ireland and NI and there will be no border between NI and the rest of the UK. Once again that circle needs to be squared and the white paper will not do it. Add into that the ERG amendments and it is complicated even further. We will have to see what the message is from Barnier to the white paper, although I am getting nervous that the EU will go a little nuclear on the UK to get things going as at the moment nothing constructive is happening.

The talks should be suspended simple as that.

The UK agreed to the structure of negotiations and now Theresa May is saying effectively there will be no contingency/backstop. This breaks red line for EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The UK agreed to the structure of negotiations and now Theresa May is saying effectively there will be no contingency/backstop. This breaks red line for EU.

Nah - she can say what she likes at a speech to plamas the DUP.

It is what Olly says at the negotiations which matters.

Nah - she can say what she likes at a speech to plamas the DUP.

It is what Olly says at the negotiations which matters.

Yes, I get that, but at what point does she have to start to take responsibility and understand that she isn't just talking to the DUP, or the Tories or whatever.

They keep going on about Global Britain, yet seem totally unaware that they impact on the rest of the world.

The UK, and in particular TM, seems to have been given a free pass to say whatever she wants on the basis that "she is talking to the domestic audience". Even the white paper starts off clearly aimed at the UK rather than the EU.

• Advertisement

Press conference delayed again to 2.25

Is that local time (which is now) or 14h25 our time, an hour away?

Enzokk wrote: »
    Is that local time (which is now) or 14h25 our time, an hour away?

Not sure, but it was put back from 13.30

I think, based on nothing really, that there is clearly a fight going on within the 27. Some of them are probably of the opinion that the UK are simply taking the P at this stage and enough is enough. Others will be of the opinion that let things simply drag on.

I'd say the speech by TM was a breaking point, it really throws the whole thing back to square one. She is ripping up the December agreement and saying that she has unilaterally changed it and its up to the EU to come up with a new agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

I don't know why, but I'm getting a feeling they're going to attempt to light a fire under the UK government.

Delayed press conferences, in these circumstances is rarely a good sign.

Backstop is still the difficulty?

TM has just ruled out the backstop. There is no backstop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Backstop is still the difficulty?

TM has just ruled out the backstop. There is no backstop.

Well, technically, there's the UK interpretation of the backstop, but that's useless to either us or the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Trasna1 wrote: »

I don't know why, but I'm getting a feeling they're going to attempt to light a fire under the UK government.

Delayed press conferences, in these circumstances is rarely a good sign.
    Taking time to fine-tune the wording of the EU ‘solution’ requested by Theresa May earlier today.

Which is that the U.K. is being retrograded to the phase 1 pre-December stage (rather than a call off/walk out of the talks by the EU).

I can but hope.

But from my school of negotiations at least (learned in contentious IP situations), when the other side backtracks from agreed position(s), the approach for promoting cop-on is to practice asymmetry: hit them back twice as hard. But package it nicely enough.

• Advertisement

Press conference has started. The EU is still backing Ireland, no backstop means no transition. The EU is still staying together, in short it seems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement