Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BA transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick

• 27-06-2018 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭

Hi guys so yesterday I booked flights for the gf and i. I used ebookers and didn't notice s change
    in airport until it was too late. We arrive at LHW at 12:00 noon. Our flight is due to take off in LGW at 3pm

My gf isn't from the EU so has to do immigration and we have to collect our bags before going off in transfer to LGW.

My question is, is it enough time? How should we go about transfer? Private taxi?

Why would ebookers suggest flights in different airports with a 3 hours gap?

The whole booking looks to be operated by BA.

Dub to LHW says:
    British Airways 845

LGW to Doha says:
    British Airways 4482 operated by QATAR AIRWAYS

Any information would be great. The flights aren't until December, they're part of a journey to Bali as the destination so I'm sick to the stomach because of the stress of this :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Arrivals from Ireland aren't subject to passport control at Heathrow - though there are occasional spot checks.

There is a coach between the two airports that takes just over an hour, the fastest option as rail involves numerous changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

If you're flying from Dublin to London then you don't need to worry about immigration. However, you will have to reclaim bags.

Heathrow to Gatwick is around an hour by road if you're lucky. Private taxi on that route will cost you serious money; cabs in London are expensive.

There are buses between the two and that would make more sense, though I would allow ninety minutes for one of those.

It's going to be close. If you can do hand luggage only you'll have a better chance of making your flight.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

£60 and 35/40 minutes using a preboked cab, I'd go for that if you're cutting it really fine.

Say you have bags by 12:30, you'll be there by 13:15, nearly the 2 hours early they say, that's not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Might do no harm to book the premium security line in Gatwick in case you're tight for time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Arrivals from Ireland aren't subject to passport control at Heathrow - though there are occasional spot checks.

There is a coach between the two airports that takes just over an hour, the fastest option as rail involves numerous changes
    Noxegon wrote: »
    If you're flying from Dublin to London then you don't need to worry about immigration. However, you will have to reclaim bags.

Heathrow to Gatwick is around an hour by road if you're lucky. Private taxi on that route will cost you serious money; cabs in London are expensive.

There are buses between the two and that would make more sense, though I would allow ninety minutes for one of those.

It's going to be close. If you can do hand luggage only you'll have a better chance of making your flight.

The OPs partner is from outside the EU so is subject to immigration when arriving into the UK. Only Irish or UK citizen are exempt from immigration checks, but you need to be able to prove that you are an Irish or UK citizen to avoid the checks.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OPs partner is from outside the EU so is subject to immigration when arriving into the UK. Only Irish or UK citizen are exempt from immigration checks, but you need to be able to prove that you are an Irish or UK citizen to avoid the checks.

Not when flying from Ireland.

My partner is American and we go to the UK all the time. The only time we've had a check on arrival was when they were spot checking the whole flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

But my gf is from Philippines, she need to apply for a UK visa, won't she be stopped at some stage? Wasting time for us.

I think a taxi is best option too, £70 pound is alot but splitting it and knowing every minute is precious, I will just go that option.

I'm just worried we may still miss the flight, should I look up different flights to London and accept a loss on the price we paid on the Dublin to London part? (I don't know the price, it was all paid as one big fare from Dublin to Bali)

Does it matter if it's all operated by BA? I'm sure I read before that if it's all done with the same airline, it's their responsibility to book you a new flight for free?? Since I'm going to a different airport, I doubt that policy stands in my case.

Someone mentioned hand luggage only...we can't, we will have 2 X 20kg bags as we will be going to Bali for a week, Philippines for 3 weeks then back to Dublin (thankfully were in Heathrow arriving and departing on our return journey)

So what would you guys do personally? A trip advisor post said 5 hours minimum is suggested between landj g and setting off between both airports which really stressed me out.

I'll do whatever you guys collectivism agree on. I've travelled alot but never had to transfer airports so it's all new to me.

My partner is American and we go to the UK all the time. The only time we've had a check on arrival was when they were spot checking the whole flight.

She's from Philippines but not an Irish citizen yet. Just a resident until another year or so unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

A quick check show £63-80 in an Uber.

3 hours it tight. Like really tight. Factor in flight delays with bad weather and you are screwed!

I really would email ebookers and ask how much the change fee is or you could be spending Christmas in London!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Jeez ..... just one word

M25

Could be ok , or you could be on there for 3 hrs

• Advertisement

Very mixed advice here. I think it's best if I try change my flight with ebookers or book a new flight to London.

Kayak never Warner about airport change like they did last year when booking similar flights so I just went on my way to their link to ebookers. Ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Very mixed advice here. I think it's best if I try change my flight with ebookers or book a new flight to London.

Kayak never Warner about airport change like they did last year when booking similar flights so I just went on my way to their link to ebookers. Ffs

I'd contact ebookers, look at it this way if it costs 200 to change flights it's only costing 120 plus saving a load of stress due to transfer costs. I think you could do it, however the road itself is notoriously bad, one tip on the road and tail backs begin

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd contact ebookers, look at it this way if it costs 200 to change flights it's only costing 120 plus saving a load of stress due to transfer costs. I think you could do it, however the road itself is notoriously bad, one tip on the road and tail backs begin

I sent them an email just there.

I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and pay for a change of flight. The stress and £70 taxi would be alot anyways.

I'll let you guys know how I get on anyway over the weekend regarding my new plan

• Registered Users Posts: 40 formernyer

If it's all booked on one BA ticket, you may need to change it rather than just book another flight to London. If you don't take the first leg, they may cancel your other flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Most places have a 24 hour cancellation policy.

Personally, I would cancel and get an Aerlingus flight into Gatwick.

What was the price difference that you are going via london instead of Emirates/Etihad/Qatar out of Dublin?

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Jeez ..... just one word

M25

Could be ok , or you could be on there for 3 hrs

Just saw a mate post on instagram. Crash on M25. 8 mile tailback!

formernyer wrote: »
    If it's all booked on one BA ticket, you may need to change it rather than just book another flight to London. If you don't take the first leg, they may cancel your other flights.

This is correct. If you don't take the first flight in your booking then you won't be able to join part way through the itinerary in London.

It gets worse - though your GF (probably) won't be checked entering the UK, if she doesn't have a UK visa she would potentially be entering the country illegally. That means that you'll be in serious trouble if there's a spot check.

I concur with the people who said you should change your flight – that's what I would do.

What was the price difference that you are going via london instead of Emirates/Etihad/Qatar out of Dublin?

I just used kayak trying to get cheap prices while taking 24 hours or less to Bali with a flight home from Manila to Dublin.

Emirates looked very expensive. I'm okay with connecting flights etc. Backpacker life lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Kayak never Warned about airport change like they did last year when booking similar flights so I just went on my way to their link to ebookers. Ffs

Definitely the best option but I do not understand why you were offered this option by the BA booking system - it is bordering on unrealistic.

If you do get hit for a change fee then certainly push it with ebookers and BA to obtain a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If it can't be changed, take the risk out, don't bother with the dub-lhr ticket and fly to Gatwick with Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

CeilingFly wrote: »
    If it can't be changed, take the risk out, don't bother with the dub-lhr ticket and fly to Gatwick with Ryanair.

If the trip was bought as one ticketed itinerary (i.e. not separate bookings for each separate flight) you cannot do this.

If you do not show for the first flight, all following flights will be cancelled.

MoeJay wrote: »
    If the trip was bought as one ticketed itinerary (i.e. not separate bookings for each separate flight) you cannot do this.

If you do not show for the first flight, all following flights will be cancelled.

It it was a one ticketed trip, it would not have switched airports, hence I'm assuming it was booked as two separate trips by ebookers.

And that's a good point - if their system recommended this as an ideal ticket, they are responsible to change it as there very little chance that 3 hours is enough to get through Heathrow, travel to Gatwick and be on time.

Hence it may be that ebookers are at fault for their system being programmed that 3 hours is sufficient

It was booked as one ticket from Dublin to Bali. 100%.

It does seem a little unfair on my part but I should have looked at little closer at the airports.

I wasn't aware that if I isn't show up for the original flight then I can't take my London flight. That makes my issue a little harder to solve. I'll try and get information from ebookers and BA directly.

Thanks for all the help guys. I didn't anticipate many comments but I got so many so quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It it was a one ticketed trip, it would not have switched airports, hence I'm assuming it was booked as two separate trips by ebookers.

BA will sell trips that change airport betwwb legs on their own site.

So email sent to both BAcand ebookers. Waiting game from now until they reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your partner can enter the UK on the US passport but if they don't have it they can be in trouble. The OPs partner needs a visa so can't enter the UK, they'd also be issues when the present at Gatwick having no entry stamp into the UK

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/freedom_of_movement_within_the_eu/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

hots wrote: »
    £60 and 35/40 minutes using a preboked cab, I'd go for that if you're cutting it really fine.

Say you have bags by 12:30, you'll be there by 13:15, nearly the 2 hours early they say, that's not bad.

As someone who drives to both to pick up my parents. (I live in Kent)

It's 35 mins on the M25 just to get to the M23 turn off for Gatwick. It's then another 15 minutes there.

Assuming no delay, if you are lucky you will be out into arrivals in 45 minutes. (Time of day is massive for this)

Walk to car park for non black cabs is about 10-15 minutes. (Black cab will charge you 100+ where as a pre-booked car can be relatively okay)

So I would be thinking you are looking at around 2 hours between landing and arriving at Gatwick at a minimum.

Since you are collecting bags I assume you are also checking them in, alot of desks close 1 hour before the flight.

• Advertisement

MoeJay wrote: »

I always thought this until recently, you can have the airline cancel a leg of the ticket. You don't get a refund but it allows the other leg to be flyable.

I was flying to Athens from LHR with BA and return when I couldn't make the outgoing flight.
    They wanted 300 for the next day but Ryanair was 100. So when I called up they said they can cancel the initial leg and that's what I went for.

Not sure how this works with an OTA in the middle though.

L1011 wrote: »
    BA will sell trips that change airport betwwb legs on their own site.

yes, but I doubt with just a 3 hour window.

You'd need to be sure of clear traffic and no airline/airport delays

yes, but I doubt with just a 3 hour window.

You'd need to be sure of clear traffic and no airline/airport delays

They have plenty flight connections from different airports with too short connections - they offer you City Airport for flights connecting at LHR or LGW as well - saw it recently when booking with Avios on BA.

Was going to take an option that looked like a good, quick transfer time and a great price (lower points required) and then realised it was from another London Airport and would have been impossible to make the connection.

Surely BA must get lots of people contacting them to change flights once booked and would something about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

IM flying from Venice Saturday 2 weeks to LGW and then getting a pre booked car for 55 pound to transfer. the train is 28 pound each so its a no brainer.

Thankfully i land at 14.10 and take off at 18.15 so its 4 hours.

On hold with ebookers on the phone ATM

Quoted at over £1000 pound EACH to simply cancel the flight to London.

On hold as she tries to find new flights from Dublin to Doha. No doubt I'll be quoted at some stupid price.

This is ****ing insane.

On hold with ebookers on the phone ATM

Quoted at over £1000 pound EACH to simply cancel the flight to London.

On hold as she tries to find new flights from Dublin to Doha. No doubt I'll be quoted at some stupid price.

This is ****ing insane.

They offered different arranged flights with a total of just under €400. I took it just to get the stress away.

So flying into Heathrow and leaving from Heathrow to Doha.

I'll be paying extra attention when booking long haul connecting flights in future.

• Advertisement

So that's an expensive resolution to my problem but I feel relieved all the same.

Question:

All our flights are still operated by BA, does this mean we don't have to collect our baggage? Meaning we won't deal with immigration so my gf won't need a UK visa?

As I'm sure we will not be leaving the connections area, it makes sense to me that a visa isn't needed.

So that's an expensive resolution to my problem but I feel relieved all the same.

Question:

All our flights are still operated by BA, does this mean we don't have to collect our baggage? Meaning we won't deal with immigration so my gf won't need a UK visa?

As I'm sure we will not be leaving the connections area, it makes sense to me that a visa isn't needed.

possibly baggage can be booked through, but I suspect you'll have to transfer to terminal 5

this will give you details
    https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

I would have fought for a free rebooking as three hours is simply not enough to
    travel between two totally different airports and thus the booking system was at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Question:

If your ticket is a BA ticket and all flights have BA codes, then you shouldn't need to collect your baggage.

As you'll only be transiting through LHR your GF probably won't need a UK visa, but you should check this.

possibly baggage can be booked through, but I suspect you'll have to transfer to terminal 5

travel between two totally different airports and thus the booking system was at fault.

BA Dub to LHR lands at T5

May be fault free on OPs part but the fare paid may have reflected the hassle of a major airport change and been low, hence when booking an alternate route get credit for fare paid but new fare cost must be covered and hence a top-up.

BA will argue it was clear when booking that different London airports were involved.

There was still an option with an end-end ticket to simply make best time to LGW after landing and having probably missed the flight ask BA what they intend to do about it - either a re-route or next available flight and accommodation at BA expense - all with no additional cost to OP for a ticket change.

Of course that would severely cut into holiday plans.

If booking BA via london just be aware - they use City/LGW and LHR from Dublin and offer all as transit options somehow!

thebiglad wrote: »
    BA Dub to LHR lands at T5
    If that's the case, then it will be very much hassle free for the op and give time to relax.

• Advertisement

My new flight BA827 for 17:40 doesn't show up. When I type in BA827, I only get a time for 19:10 for that BA827. Strange.

But good news...were flying into terminal 5 and leaving from terminal 5. Still not sure if the GF needs a UK visa or not. Finding it hard to know for definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

You should always book with the airline where possible.

By all means use Skyscanner to check prices, but when the whole booking is with BA it is really, really silly not to book directly.

Mokuba wrote: »

By all means use Skyscanner to check prices, but when the whole booking is with BA it is really, really silly not to book directly.

I did search for flights for then days in BA and I was getting different flights at over €2000. I've no idea why but BA didn't show what kayak showed even though all my flightw say BA in the tickets

My new flight BA827 for 17:40 doesn't show up. When I type in BA827, I only get a time for 19:10 for that BA827. Strange.

But good news...were flying into terminal 5 and leaving from terminal 5. Still not sure if the GF needs a UK visa or not. Finding it hard to know for definite.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

That will tell you.
    Pretty certain that since you won't pass border control she shouldn't need one but it's straight forward to check on that site.

Mokuba wrote: »

I did search for flights for then days in BA and I was getting different flights at over €2000. I've no idea why but BA didn't show what kayak showed even though all my flightw say BA in the tickets

Sometimes the OTA's can have access to fare classes that the airline isn't selling on their website.

I flew to NY recently on American on a very cheap fare via Travel Up. Both legs were flown by American.

However...ticket booked on the way out was Finnair stock with AA flight number and the return was again Finnair stock but the Finnair codeshare flight number.

I couldn't find the same fare with either of the airlines so took the booking with the agent.

Advertisement