Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carpet replacement

Options
  • 27-06-2018 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

I got a carpet put in last October. After 3 months in the piling on the carpet, stairs has gone down a lot.

I went back to the place I got it from and have been told it won't be replaced due not having underlay on. I was told I wouldn't need to underlay for the carpet. It is under a 10-year guarantee.

Do I have rights to get it replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Who fitted it? The retailer (or a contractor for same) or someone you hired direct? Presumably not DIY from your wording

If you could prove they said underlay wasn't required they're in no position to insist it was needed after the fact. Getting someone else to go in and ask about the same carpet to see what they say now would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

L1011 wrote: »
    Who fitted it? The retailer (or a contractor for same) or someone you hired direct? Presumably not DIY from your wording

If you could prove they said underlay wasn't required they're in no position to insist it was needed after the fact. Getting someone else to go in and ask about the same carpet to see what they say now would be interesting.

They had a guy put it in. I had two guys down, one was the owner of the place I brought it from.

They also got the rep from the carpet company to look at it. So 3 different people looked at. The owner told me underlay was not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Given that the owner said no underlay was required, I'd be looking at the shop to sort it out. The problem for him is that the manufacturer warranty is probably voided by the lack of underlay, but you've gone with his advice which was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

As the shop fitted the carpet and you followed their recommendations, you do have a case. You should be entitled to one of the 3 r's (repair , replace, refund). but there is no guarantee the shop will see it that way, given that they have refused to assist so far.

so you need to follow the small claims count procedures. Write a registered letter to the shop, laying out the facts, i bought the carpet, you fitted it, and i followed your recommendations. Ask them to resolve the issue to your satisfaction under the sale of goods and supplies act, and tell then what your preferred outcome would be, eg they replace the carpet.

Ste out what has happened so far, eg i called you on x date.

Set a reasonable time frame for them to come back to you, eg 14 days. Explain that if you don't get a reasonable response you plan to file in small claims court.

then file a claim against the store, assuming they don't back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good practical advice.

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement