Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess the Village/Town/City Thread 3 (read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

Truckermal wrote: »
    Well fcuk me.....

I've cycled past that shop many a time in my youth :pac:

Try this...

530713.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

niley wrote: »
    I've cycled past that shop many a time in my youth :pac:

Try this...

530713.jpg

Do we win that jackpot if correct?!

Do we win that jackpot if correct?!

There's only one way to find out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

Try this...

Deceptively difficult, Niley, and I've come to expect nothing less :)

That pretty wee park is obviously nothing that I've thought of yet, including: a memorial of some sort; a salute to tidy towns; a viewing platform... of a field; or the entrance to something bigger, conveniently off-screen.

This is another view of the same place, and I'll give an anti-hint: the colour of bunting should be ignored :P

531086.jpg

• Advertisement

Niley, notes:

1. Outstanding perspective work on the bar's renaming.
    2. A shout-out for leaving the compass visible: north/south so.
    3. I nominate a new word, "nileyesque" for any image that includes flags, bunting, banners and/or pennants that may or may not be indicative of the image's location.

A punt: the buildings' corner brick architecture makes me think of CW, KK or WX...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The bunting looks like there was a confirmation looming.

To thine own self be true

The bunting looks like there was a confirmation looming.

Purps, if only that helped :( I'm flummoxed on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Very familiar think I’ve cycled passed it, in the Gordy area

Purps, if only that helped :( I'm flummoxed on this one.

It does have a midlands whiff about it :)

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Very familiar think I’ve cycled passed it, in the Gordy area

Gorey, Ted?

In a fit of frustration, I'm off to find the Int'l GTL thread :)

Not CW, KK or WX (Which I think includes Gorey or its little known parallel universe version Gordy?). Someone do let me know if Gordy is a place!)

Also yes TBMS, I do like to keep things in perspective! :)

It does have a midlands whiff about it :)

Maybe! (Or definitely, depending on what definition of "Midlands" I look at)

Cloughjordan?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Gorey, Ted?

Bloody auto correct...

Cloughjordan?

Nope!

Is it in Tipperary?

Is it in Tipperary?

Nope! Nowhere near it either.

... a viewing platform... of a field...

Before I go (even further) down a rabbit hole, is it the site of an historic battle, Niley? And a commemorative/memorial park for said skirmish?

• Advertisement

Before I go (even further) down a rabbit hole, is it the site of an historic battle, Niley? And a commemorative/memorial park for said skirmish?

I've checked, and it's just the village chillout zone, not a bit of history seems to be associated with it. The most significant thing nearby probably is a rabbit hole.

... just the village chillout zone...

*googles ireland "village chillout zone" -wexford -carlow -tipperary -kilkenny* :)

*googles ireland "village chillout zone" -wexford -carlow -tipperary -kilkenny* :)

had already googled "village chillout zone" to be sure that phrase was not used to describe it anywhere :D:D:D

Third view, should be able to get it with this one (I hope :P)

531255.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is the town on the Shannon-Erne waterway? It looks like somewhere I passed through briefly on a river cruise a few years ago, but I don't remember the stoney park - any idea how old that is?

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is the town on the Shannon-Erne waterway? It looks like somewhere I passed through briefly on a river cruise a few years ago, but I don't remember the stoney park - any idea how old that is?

Ok, so it's not on the Shannon-Erne waterway, but you're on the right track for sure. It's within 10km of one end of the link, and even closer to one of the rivers itself. The stoney park is less than 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well, I was thinking of in or around Ballinamore, I think, and we stopped off somewhere for a shopping before we picked up a boat. My internet is the pits, so I've only done a brief google explore through the town, and don't think I was on the right track.

But I stumbled across this pub, which is amusing (or at least I'd not seen anything like it on googlemaps before).

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0526453,-7.8010777,3a,75y,207.13h,78.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3q7RtyRbGlvyqougckNKXA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It's a bit of a trek to Ballinamore alright, greater than the other distances previously mentioned. That pub is very...purple?

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, I was thinking of in or around Ballinamore, I think, and we stopped off somewhere for a shopping before we picked up a boat. My internet is the pits, so I've only done a brief google explore through the town, and don't think I was on the right track.

But I stumbled across this pub, which is amusing (or at least I'd not seen anything like it on googlemaps before).

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0526453,-7.8010777,3a,75y,207.13h,78.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3q7RtyRbGlvyqougckNKXA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Definitely not Ballinamore. That pub is owned by the Reynolds family, Pat Joe Reynolds was a Fine Geal TD for years.
    His father Patrick was also a TD, but was shot dead in the 1932 election, his wife Mary won his seat & sat in the Dail for around 30 years.

But off topic!

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Definitely not Ballinamore. That pub is owned by the Reynolds family, Pat Joe Reynolds was a Fine Geal TD for years.
    His father Patrick was also a TD, but was shot dead in the 1932 election, his wife Mary won his seat & sat in the Dail for around 30 years.

But off topic!

Were getting a geography lesson and a ll today :D

Advertisement