Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess the Village/Town/City Thread 3 (read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Moo :)

St Augustine's Church of Ireland, Swanlinbar, County K'yavan.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/y67PjpB1jSPKvKu87
    Well done,
    A village name made up of the bits of 4 men's names.
    QUOTE;
    'Sw' stands for Swift (Swift's uncle, Godwin Swift,), 'And' stands for Sanders (Robert Saunders of Dublin), 'Ling' for Darling (Richard Darling of Dublin), and 'Bar' for Barry (Richard Barry).

Well done,
    QUOTE;
    'Sw' stands for Swift (Swift's uncle, Godwin Swift,), 'And' stands for Sanders (Robert Saunders of Dublin), 'Ling' for Darling (Richard Darling of Dublin), and 'Bar' for Barry (Richard Barry).

I never knew this & I'm from up that way!
    Always wondered where the name came from, the Irish is An Muilean Iarainn, so guessed it had something to do with local mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Well done,
    QUOTE;

Are you sure of that? I read Swan(n), Lynn and Barr.

feargale wrote: »
    Are you sure of that? I read Swan(n), Lynn and Barr.
    This from Wiki
    Quote;
    Jonathan Swift in his 1728 essay On Barbarous Denominations In Ireland wrote:

"There is likewise a famous town, where the worst iron in the kingdom is made, and it is called Swandlingbar: the original of which name I shall explain, lest the antiquaries of future ages might be at a loss to derive it. It was a most witty conceit of four gentlemen, who ruined themselves with this iron project. 'Sw' stands for Swift (Swift's uncle, Godwin Swift, for whose memory he had no special regard, was the instigator of the ironworks and the person named. He lost his fortune due to the mismanagement of the business), 'And' stands for Sanders (Robert Saunders of Dublin), 'Ling' for Darling (Richard Darling of Dublin), and 'Bar' for Barry (Richard Barry). Methinks I see the four loggerheads sitting in consult, like Smectimnius, each gravely contributing a part of his own name, to make up one for their place in the iron-work; and could wish they had been hanged, as well as undone, for their wit."[8]

But you know Swift!
    Your version makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

531701.jpg

Ok if ye insist! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

The one and only The Swan, where if you've not built something with red bricks, you're not supporting local industry :)

niley wrote: »
    The one and only The Swan, where if you've not built something with red bricks, you're not supporting local industry :)

Don't forget the 'chimbley' liners and pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Sorry chaps, but can you please elaborate on where this is??!!

To thine own self be true

Sorry chaps, but can you please elaborate on where this is??!!

Sorry Purple, it's The Swan, Co. Laois. Truckers image is taken just down the road from here...

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.8880332,-7.1591748,3a,75y,129.37h,84.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKtooHy8HTP61vcVHkKegPQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is the village actually called The Swan? :D

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Yes. It is.

Joins an illustrious list;
    The Hague,
    The Gambia,
    The Bronx,
    The Congo,(the democratic republic of..).
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Some of these colourful village or hamlet names derive from old coaching inns e.g. Blue Ball in Offaly, Blacklion and Horse and Jockey.
    Maybe The Swan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Would anyone mind if I threw one up. I'm never gonna get one right here but I came across something really random on my travels over the summer and think it might keep Niley busy for a few seconds at least.

As Niley has just got the last one right I won't upload unless they are OK with it.

OK I can take this down later if people aren't happy but I'm going offline for a few hours so see what ye make of this:

jyNXWyI.png

I'd be impressed if anyone picks it out unless they are from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

531750.JPG

Even left the road signage uncensored :D

blackwhite wrote: »

I don't know how people do it. That's literally a back road between piltown and kilmacow, two tiny villages in south Kilkenny

531750.JPG

Even left the road signage uncensored :D

Mahon Bridge or something like that near Mahon Falls in Waterford?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Feck, I knew those two! Technically, Mahonbridge isn't even a hamlet, I'd say, the nearest village is Lemybrien.

• Advertisement

Is everyone sitting down for this revelation? ... I've no idea where it is.

lassykk wrote: »
    Mahon Bridge or something like that near Mahon Falls in Waterford?

The coffee shop gives it's address as Kilcomeragh - but Mahon Bridge is what's I've always know it as

GWFq3SG.png

Hoping this might be more of a challenge but I doubt it

Secretly delighted I got one right that Niley didn't know with Mahon Bridge - 1 out of maybe 5,000 :D

The coffee shop gives it's address as Kilcomeragh - but Mahon Bridge is what's I've always know it as

Yep I've only ever known it as Mahon Bridge too

It's also what I google mapped to make sure I was right!

Rossknowlagh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

The Maharees in Kerry?

lassykk wrote: »
    I don't know how people do it. That's literally a back road between piltown and kilmacow, two tiny villages in south Kilkenny

The bunting gave a starting point for google

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Rossknowlagh ?

Afraid not

Advertisement