Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess the Village/Town/City Thread 3 (read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Guill wrote: »
    The Maharees in Kerry?

No, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Castlegregory?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

blackwhite wrote: »
    The bunting gave a starting point for google

But... but... my tired old eyes thought the bunting was yellow and purple :( and so I spent waaaay too much time farting around in WX. Excellent catch, BW.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

6 consonants and 5 vowels. That was refreshing.

Castlegregory?

Nope afraid not!

• Advertisement

niley wrote: »

How, just how, I picked the most remote spot I could find from said 11 letter location as I camped in the field beside that caravan park as a teenager

I genuinely don't know how anyone works these out unless you've been there (like I did with Mahon Bridge)

Do people go through a lot of Google Streetview images or have you got encyclopedic knowledge of every road in Ireland? I'm genuinely impressed how quickly these are gotten

lassykk wrote: »
    How, just how, I picked the most remote spot I could find from said 11 letter location as I camped in the field beside that caravan park as a teenager

I genuinely don't know how anyone works these out unless you've been there (like I did with Mahon Bridge)

Do people go through a lot of Google Streetview images or have you got encyclopedic knowledge of every road in Ireland? I'm genuinely impressed how quickly these are gotten

On this occasion... because I drove to and from said 11 letter location quite often. I lived in that county for 10 years & friends lived in that place. It's the mountains in the background that pop out along with the angle of viewing them. The rest is just Googling.

On this occasion... because I drove to and from said 11 letter location quite often. I lived in that county for 10 years & friends lived in that place. It's the mountains in the background that pop out along with the angle of viewing them. The rest is just Googling.

That's an amazing memory you have though. I camped there a few times and barely recognised when I googled mapped it!

Fair dues to your googling skills. I'm always in awe at how quickly you and others in here work them out. I tried to Google the monument I put up and couldn't get anywhere!

https://streamable.com/iustda

Click play on the video above (If it works). Something as distinct as a monument could be found in seconds. This is why I've said in the past it's hard to find a location that meets the criteria, but is not easily searchable. A caravan park is good, it's not distinct enough to be searched for. My new favorite is buildings surrounded by scaffolding (thanks TMBS!), there's not much hope of searching those. Monuments are a different story.

P.S. I'm in no way saying that's how anyone finds locations. I just do that search on my own locations first to try make it google-proof.

https://streamable.com/iustda

Click play on the video above (If it works). Something as distinct as a monument could be found in seconds. This is why I've said in the past it's hard to find a location that meets the criteria, but is not easily searchable. A caravan park is good, it's not distinct enough to be searched for. My new favorite is buildings surrounded by scaffolding (thanks TMBS!), there's not much hope of searching those. Monuments are a different story.

P.S. I'm in no way saying that's how anyone finds locations. I just do that search on my own locations first to try make it google-proof.

Wow, thank you for sharing that. I've been genuinely stumped so many times by people finding such obscure places!

• Advertisement

(Vid is fine, Niley. I feel under-equipped with a lowly tablet :/)

Sigh. So, has Niley/Sean Lock/Jon Richardson cracked it, Lassy?

(Vid is fine, Niley. I feel under-eqipped with a lowly tablet :/)

Sigh. So, has Niley/Sean Lock/Jon Richardson cracked it, Lassy?

I think so based on their cryptic answer. I had to type out the place to check it added up but I should never have doubted it.

Given that it's not openly out there feel free to guess until Niley throws up a new one

lassykk wrote: »
    ...feel free to guess until Niley throws up a new one

Hmmmm. Given the compass direction, lay of the land, and the likelihood of caravan parks being coastal, I'd hazard it's east coast?

Hmmmm. Given the compass direction, lay of the land, and the likelihood of caravan parks being coastal, I'd hazard it's east coast?

Afraid not, until Niley replies I'll start giving clues to narrow it down

Co Kerry is the first rather large clue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Ballyheigue

Ballyhaigue

That's the one :)

Ok;532034.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It should be very hard except for I have cousins around those parts.
    That's Poulmucka, near Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.

To thine own self be true

It should be very hard except for I have cousins around those parts.
    That's Poulmucka, near Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.

Well done Purple,
    I had hoped it would take a bit longer,
    but at least you beat Niley to it!
    (or did you?)

Well done Purple,
    I had hoped it would take a bit longer,
    but at least you beat Niley to it!
    (or did you?)

Yes, 100%!

• Advertisement

Try this one, peeps.

That was quicker than my previous guess by 3 minutes :)

Ryath, take the floor.

Oh I see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I pass it fairly regularly, Hamillton's is always a place I think I must drop into someday. Looks like a decent spot for a pint.

Hopefully you can't find the clue with google lens Niley!
    532043.png

Ryath wrote: »
    Hopefully you can't find the clue with google lens Niley!

If I did, I wouldn't play the round. I'm self-policing that way :) I enjoy the search, and you'll only hear from me if it took me effort to find the place :p

Do I need to post a clue yet? I'll just say for the moment the structure on the right is distinctive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Looks like a handball alley?

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    Looks like a handball alley?
    Correct

Advertisement