Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant and Tree ID

Options
  • 27-06-2018 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi guys, anyone know what these two are?

The first I am very curious about as it came in a pot with a blueberry plant I bought a couple of years ago and I doubt that it's some other blueberry variety - the leaves are definitely different. My guess is it got mixed in by mistake.

The second is a young tree that was planted outside my house and for the first time in 10 years it developed flowers (it was broken in half by some scumbags a few years back and made a miracle recovery). It's a really lovely tree with beautiful leaves, and the flowers also have a sweet scent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The second one is Robinia pseudoacacia.

Not sure about the first. Wild guess at honeysuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think it is honeysuckle, the leaves would be opposite. Could be willow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, my first guess would be willow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The Robinia is a particular variety (size of leaves is unusual) and if/when I can remember it I'll let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

So I couldn't remember it and looked it up and I came up with Robinia pseudoacacia Unifolia. Robinia pseudoacacia normally has something like 13 pairs of leaflets on each petiole where as the variety Unifolia often has only 2 or less.

Robinia pseudoacacia normally have spines but Uniflolia tends not to, so you may find some but nothing like as many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Anakena

my3cents wrote: »
    So I couldn't remember it and looked it up and I came up with Robinia pseudoacacia Unifolia. Robinia pseudoacacia normally has something like 13 pairs of leaflets on each petiole where as the variety Unifolia often has only 2 or less.

Robinia pseudoacacia normally have spines but Uniflolia tends not to, so you may find some but nothing like as many.

Just looked it up now and you're right, it's definitely this type. I noticed that even the flowers are slightly different on this variety than the other Robinia mentioned.

Thanks everyone! :)

Advertisement