Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portmarnock Beach

• 27-06-2018 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭

Never seen anything like this before.

And going to the beach 20 years. Well, maybe I'm thinking bout 20 years ago -but has anyone gone to a beach in Ireland lately. Dublin.

Life is strange out there these days . Strange - different.

Was genuinely like someone had removed me from North Dublin and placed me in Runaway Bay in Jamaica.

There was a bunch of about 200 to 300 in the age group of 16 to 18 - they were doing this tribal dance - about 25% girls - 75 % lads , it was like something you would see in a program where they find a tribe hidden in the amazon.

This was north Dublin.

It was at least 800 M before I came across a white.

I'm not sure if that is racist - but when you have milk bottle legs in Portmarnock - you expect to not stick out. :D

Was a very strange feeling - feeling out of your own home in Dublin.

Then further on was them strange girls who look eastern European - who go to the beach to stick their arse out and do like cheap Fashion TV shoots. In fairness it was a nice arse - but where is Dublin gone.

Anyway - not sure if a college exchange or if they are Irish - but they are not exactly mixing in with the locals or mixing at all. Was all a bit intimidating and not sure where the police are these days.

There was drinking - rubbish - fires - I'm fairly sure none of that is allowed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Good lad, youve hit at least 3 lightning rods there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Then further on was them strange girls who look eastern European - who go to the beach to stick their arse out and do like cheap Fashion TV shoots. In fairness it was a nice arse - but where is Dublin gone.

Need photographic evidence in advance of accurate discussion

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I blame the greeks

They invented Gayness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I blame Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most of the population with smart phones, not a single photo to document it on Twitter, zero coverage on any media, I call fake news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Garda in Balbriggan May as well be stationed on the beach. It’s a joke at this stage. The sun seems to bring out the arsehole in people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

To be honest - I don't know if I would prefer scumbags from Coolock and Kilbarrack or these black gangs doing their dance.

The dance was cool in some ways - sort of a hop moving about 300 M connect with a chant

I didn't get robbed or stabbed - it could be an upgrade.

But we need Garda on the beech.

Most of the population with smart phones, not a single photo to document it on Twitter, zero coverage on any media, I call fake news.

Dublin is a small town.

Another poster will have seen it.

All also with towels over their head - not sure if this was sun block or a carry on from Fashion Shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Sounds like the new RTE show from
    pat Shott “Beach Guards”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just visit these places from 10am until about 3pm if you can.

The teenagers wake up about 2 o'clock and then get going after that.

Walked over Howth Head today. Got 3.15 DART back, honest to god there must have been about 10thousand mad teenagers on the train pulling in. But there we are. Got out in time! Timing is everything as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

When was this?

I ran 5km on Portmarnock Beach this afternoon and could probably count on one hand the amount of dark skinned people on the beach.

I ran from the carpark at the Links Road to the Baldoyle end.

Some fine ass, seen one black lad and one Indian couple about 300m south of the life guard container.

My route earlier.

454413.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sort of a hop moving about 300 M connect with a chant
    seen one black lad and one Indian couple about 300m south of the life guard container.

Just be glad everyone is using the metric system. That's what makes us us and them them. Any slip backwards and we'll be eating our young. #FightImperialism

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

When was this?

I ran 5km on Portmarnock Beach this afternoon and could probably count on one hand the amount of dark skinned people on the beach.

Some fine ass, seen one black lad and one Indian couple about 300m south of the life guard container.

My route earlier.
    What app is that? Does it compare to Strava?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

When was this?

My route earlier.

454413.jpg

Looks a bit like a droopy mickey with small balls tucked in under the fat at the base

The map that is. Don't know about yourself :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Never seen anything like this before.

And going to the beach 20 years. Well, maybe I'm thinking bout 20 years ago -but has anyone gone to a beach in Ireland lately. Dublin.

Life is strange out there these days . Strange - different.

Was genuinely like someone had removed me from North Dublin and placed me in Runaway Bay in Jamaica.

There was a bunch of about 200 to 300 in the age group of 16 to 18 - they were doing this tribal dance - about 25% girls - 75 % lads , it was like something you would see in a program where they find a tribe hidden in the amazon.

This was north Dublin.

I'm not sure if that is racist - but when you have milk bottle legs in Portmarnock - you expect to not stick out. :D

Was a very strange feeling - feeling out of your own home in Dublin.

Anyway - not sure if a college exchange or if they are Irish - but they are not exactly mixing in with the locals or mixing at all. Was all a bit intimidating and not sure where the police are these days.

There was drinking - rubbish - fires - I'm fairly sure none of that is allowed.
    When was this?

My route earlier.

What app is that? Does it compare to Strava?

Its Polar.

I used Strava for cycling for a long time but I don't really use my cycle computer anymore and just upload from my Polar M400 GPS watch.

I keep my profile on private but I find it better than strava for recording just about everything whilst I wear the watch (except faps :p ).

How accurate is it I really don't know. I do a parkrun every Saturday and it usually comes in pretty close to the 5km mark +/- a few meters (but then some say you've to factor in losing the sats due to tree cover).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I haven't been there for years. It's a lovely beach. Have so many fond memories of it.

When was this?

My route earlier.

454413.jpg

And what time was that.

These lads could be faster runners than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Haven't been to Portmarnock in two years. Last time I was there there was no serious trouble but enough antisocial behaviour to make it uncomfortable. But it's a fabulous beach. It's a nightmare to get to though so not worth it for the hassle on hot days. Never seen anything like you describe though OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But we need Garda on the beech.
    What for? Are you planning on committing a crime?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Garda in Balbriggan May as well be stationed on the beach. It’s a joke at this stage. The sun seems to bring out the arsehole in people.
    Haven't been to Portmarnock in two years. Last time I was there there was no serious trouble but enough antisocial behaviour to make it uncomfortable. But it's a fabulous beach. It's a nightmare to get to though so not worth it for the hassle on hot days. Never seen anything like you describe though OP.

I was there Tuesday evening. It was grand. It was the evening though, past 7pm so maybe it’s worse during the day? But there were a few groups of boisterous teens who were causing absolutely no trouble. There was a very relaxing vibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Two maybe three years ago there was a riot on Portmarnock beach that strangely enough involved 2 massive gangs of black youths,
    Iv no problem with any race or cred but it was just very strange to see,
    There was about 70-90- people involved fighting with each other, Its just not something you see much of in Ireland,
    I think its on youtube ,
    Its nothing new for the residents as for years and years whenever there has been good weather there is a spike in crime in the area, robbed car's , fights ,assaults and what not , due to people from all area's of Dublin ending up in the same spot drinking and lying in the sun to long ,
    The old saying when the sun comes out the scum comes out ,
    I'm sure its similar on most beaches in Dublin ,

When was this?

My route earlier.

454413.jpg
    That end of the beach always tends to be quitter and mostly locals.
     Most of the trouble is up the other end as the teens like to be close to the shops .

Most of the trouble is up the other end as the teens like to be close to the shops .

Your spot on - that run is nowhere near the problem area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Never understand people who come across impromptu sessions and don't just join in. That's the entire purpose of that sneaky naggin you keep hidden in your jocks FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

You dont need sunshine for some people. They'll still be assholes when its starts raining again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Dublin forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Just back from a run on the Strand Road in Sandymount. Didn't see any brown legs, but did see plenty of redskins. Must be no brown people in South Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Those of darker skin come from nations / heritages that know its stupid as all f**k to go out in the strongest sun of the day.

We (white Celtic) Irish count a trip to the E.D. on the way home with severe sunburn as part of the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just read elsewhere that Portmarnock beach yesterday evening was a mess for regular folk, but a dream for the youth.
    I'm actually heading there this evening so I'll see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Two maybe three years ago there was a riot on Portmarnock beach that strangely enough involved 2 massive gangs of black youths,
    There was about 70-90- people involved fighting with each other, Its just not something you see much of in Ireland,
    I think its on youtube ,
    Its nothing new for the residents as for years and years whenever there has been good weather there is a spike in crime in the area, robbed car's , fights ,assaults and what not , due to people from all area's of Dublin ending up in the same spot drinking and lying in the sun to long ,

It was a fight between white and black kids, a long-standing thing in Dublin among the youth.
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB5NzdeSQ40

EDIT: Just to note that's just what kids do, they form tribes, 20 years ago this might be north side and south side, skangers and rockers and so on. Unless you are pretty naive black and white is an obvious one kids will go for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Portmarnock getting a taste or what life is like in Dublin city.

The city is unrecognisable from the way it was only a few years ago. I feel like i am the foreigner when im in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

*clicks in to thread*
    *realises it's about xenophobia*

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People enjoying themselves in the sun. It's an outrage!

scopper wrote: »
    Two maybe three years ago there was a riot on Portmarnock beach that strangely enough involved 2 massive gangs of black youths,
    There was about 70-90- people involved fighting with each other, Its just not something you see much of in Ireland,
    I think its on youtube ,
    Its nothing new for the residents as for years and years whenever there has been good weather there is a spike in crime in the area, robbed car's , fights ,assaults and what not , due to people from all area's of Dublin ending up in the same spot drinking and lying in the sun to long ,

It was a fight between white and black kids, a long-standing thing in Dublin among the youth.
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB5NzdeSQ40

EDIT: Just to note that's just what kids do, they form tribes, 20 years ago this might be north side and south side, skangers and rockers and so on. Unless you are pretty naive black and white is an obvious one kids will go for.
    Oh ye I know this but I was there that day and it was just something id never seen in Dublin before, So many black youths in one place, nothing wrong with the fact there black youths but it was a first in Ireland for me,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

thebull85 wrote: »
    The city is unrecognisable from the way it was only a few years ago. I feel like i am the foreigner when im in town.

No you don't, you just like exaggerating on the internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

No you don't, you just like exaggerating on the internet.

Its no exaggeration, only i have to work in Dublin1 i wouldnt step foot in it. I take it you dont frequent the north inner city too often yourself, either that or you're blind.

I'm a local, and I run on the beach winter and summer.

We do get a lot of anti social behavior in the summer months, but its usually confined to the public toilets end. Which is why I use the Links Road end, but if the tide is in I've no choice but to run up towards the public toilets end.

I'm a big guy, and I mind my own business. But sometimes I'm cagey enough to just skirt the teens out drinking, and God bless their jail bait GF's in their G-strings (teens weren't like that back in my day lol).

If the tide is in and I want to get a 5k in this is my route from the Links Road (posh locals end lol).

454473.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Eh you can see the whole length of the beach from one end to the other more or less.

if there were 200-300 people doing a dance on the beach at the time theres no way he would have missed them.

Im calling bs on the OPs post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fires, rubbish and drinking on a beach eh?

Also women flaunting it a bit - shocking! What do you find intimidating about a bit of arse?

• Advertisement

And what time was that.

These lads could be faster runners than you.

The time is on it, 14:16 (2:16pm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Actually last night it might have been the spanish students but there was a lode of them doing some kind of mad tippietoe knees bent arms in the air tribal dance type thing - realised as I passed they all seemed to be streaming the same song - might be some new Rhianna groove or a new version of a Ketchup song - every summer has its song - and dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Actually last night it might have been the spanish students but there was a lode of them doing some kind of mad tippietoe knees bent arms in the air tribal dance type thing

Tai chi practice probably

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

thebull85 wrote: »
    Its no exaggeration, only i have to work in Dublin1 i wouldnt step foot in it. I take it you dont frequent the north inner city too often yourself, either that or you're blind.

The sun brings out the scangers. In the city and on the beach.

And on the internet.

I work and lived in Dublin 1... it's not that bad. Calm down, you're getting excited.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When was this?

Your sunglasses probably weren't as tinted as the OP's

Advertisement