Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bfl mule vs llynn/belclare scotch mule

• 27-06-2018 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hav flock of swale /scotch ewes on hill farm ive rented.thing is in the process of buyin place with better ground(still not fantastic but grass).my plan is to either buy a bfl or llynn or belclare ram and cross wit the scotch for replacements.anyone any opinions of experience on doing same?from what im hearing from talkin to few lads is llyns are easier kept sheep than belclare and would make a hardier cross,better feet and dont eat as much.any truth to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nagshead

I think a good lleyn ram would beat a good ram of any other breed in terms of profitability any day. I would love to see Teagasc run a trial using different breeds of ewes say mule , Lleyn and Suffolk x or Texel x all on the same farm with the same management with the aim being to find out which type of ewe produced the most kgs of deadweight sold per hectare with the least cost assuming that the cost of producing the kgs of deadweight would include labour which I feel farmers and even Teagasc can fool themselves about too often, ie they dont put enough value on their time. Ive no doubts the Lleyn ewe would win hands down . From my own experience the best Lleyn x ewe is from a Lleyn ram crossed to a bigger fleshier type of ewe like a Borris ewe or Texel/suffolk x ewe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

nagshead wrote: »
    I think a good lleyn ram would beat a good ram of any other breed in terms of profitability any day. I would love to see Teagasc run a trial using different breeds of ewes say mule , Lleyn and Suffolk x or Texel x all on the same farm with the same management with the aim being to find out which type of ewe produced the most kgs of deadweight sold per hectare with the least cost assuming that the cost of producing the kgs of deadweight would include labour which I feel farmers and even Teagasc can fool themselves about too often, ie they dont put enough value on their time. Ive no doubts the Lleyn ewe would win hands down . From my own experience the best Lleyn x ewe is from a Lleyn ram crossed to a bigger fleshier type of ewe like a Borris ewe or Texel/suffolk x ewe.

Should always be measured in euros ....deadweight is only suiting lleyn coa she wont have lambs fit when price is high....labour is difficult to measire in a spot like teagasc because of the amount of people working there.

Even if they done that triall,peopel would be saying that they used bad llyens,bad mules etc.. Unfeasable imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Well it would be better use of resources, then the 3-5 years their wasting of tax payers money at the moment finding out if a nz Suffolk is better then an Irish Suffolk. I think we all know the answer to that one with the genetic improvements they’ve been making in nz for the last 30 years.
    Separately,
    Even though I like and run Lleyns, I don’t know how much they’d improve your black face mountain ewe. I think as mentioned above they work best crossing with the bigger lowland ewe. Maybe your ewes would give higher scanning when moved to the lowlands without you doing anything ?

Well it would be better use of resources, then the 3-5 years their wasting of tax payers money at the moment finding out if a nz Suffolk is better then an Irish Suffolk. I think we all know the answer to that one with the genetic improvements they’ve been making in nz for the last 30 years.
    Separately,
    Even though I like and run Lleyns, I don’t know how much they’d improve your black face mountain ewe. I think as mentioned above they work best crossing with the bigger lowland ewe. Maybe your ewes would give higher scanning when moved to the lowlands without you doing anything ?

I dont know what they can go looking at now...will probably be looking at heritability of traits like growth rates and tendency to go lame and mastitis etc. Bigger difference within breeds than beyween them so no point comparing them in that sense imo

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nagshead

Should always be measured in euros ....deadweight is only suiting lleyn coa she wont have lambs fit when price is high....labour is difficult to measire in a spot like teagasc because of the amount of people working there.

Even if they done that triall,peopel would be saying that they used bad llyens,bad mules etc.. Unfeasable imo

Your right i agree I should have explained it a bit better , What I was trying to say was that I feel the Llyen ewe will outperform other ewe types in a simple input/output calculation if the cost of labour is properly accounted for ,In other words she will be more profitable which at the end of the day is what its all about and will be more important in the future when the money from Europe starts to dry up.

• Advertisement

I dont know what they can go looking at now...will probably be looking at heritability of traits like growth rates and tendency to go lame and mastitis etc. Bigger difference within breeds than beyween them so no point comparing them in that sense imo

Maybe a better use of resources might have been comparing a flock of high index nz Romney’s ewes (because that’s what best of nz has to offer ) against something like the belclare (that they developed) and maybe the Lleyns. Put them all to the same rams and see what gets on the best. Let farmers know what maternal sheep perform the best in a lowland setup, as their campus is on a lowland farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Teagasc seem to be stuck on the same aul system of belclare cross ewes 5 to the acre high input high output, lots of labour indoor lambing, paddocks bla bla bla, think they need to look at new zealand systems more

Teagasc seem to be stuck on the same aul system of belclare cross ewes 5 to the acre high input high output, lots of labour indoor lambing, paddocks bla bla bla, think they need to look at new zealand systems more

Exactly, so they picked the nz Suffolk, a breed that’s only used as a terminal sire in nz and ignored the most popular breed of sheep in nz and the world, the Romney.

Only way for small farmers to survive is with high input/output.
    Tbh not enough land available for low enough price to be very extensive unless you inherit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭joe35

The llyen cross with a horned ewe leaves a small lamb both for breading and fattening. I baught a few lanarks last year and was asking theese questions in other links.
    Think i'm gonna buy a BFL this year to run with them. They were run with a cheviot last year and some nice lambs out of them but want to breed a few mules now.
    Would love if someone had a difinitive answer but think the all have pros and cons.

On another note anyone know were to get a good BFL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What part you in joe35

joe35 wrote: »
    The llyen cross with a horned ewe leaves a small lamb both for breading and fattening. I baught a few lanarks last year and was asking theese questions in other links.
    Think i'm gonna buy a BFL this year to run with them. They were run with a cheviot last year and some nice lambs out of them but want to breed a few mules now.
    Would love if someone had a difinitive answer but think the all have pros and cons.

They generally bought up north at ballymena mart iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

joe35 wrote: »

Sale in Ballinrobe. I think the same day as the first mule sale.

Lambman wrote: »
    What part you in joe35

North east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Know a breeder in Donegal a neighbour bought 1 off he's a good sheep... came from Malin head Suffolks herd they run a purebred BFL herd aswell...

Thanks lambman

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

nagshead wrote: »

Not a complete study but though you might find this study helpful.

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2010/IrishBreedComparisonStudies.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

Ended up buying a bfl ram.really happy with the lambs so far.growing well and lovely shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Any pictures?

Advertisement