Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question on road etiquette

Options
  • 28-06-2018 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve noticed a lot of cyclists out in the evenings since the fine weather started, which is great.
    One thing I’ve noticed where I live (Clare) is groups of 4-6 cyclists together (I’m assuming they’re pretty experienced as they were pretty quick) but cycling 3 abreast so as to use up the entire lane. These would be main roads but without hard shoulder in 3 out of the last 4 examples.

What is the consensus on this? Is it encouraged to take up the full lane so that motorists will excercise more caution when overtaking? Maybe they’re just being assholes, I genuinely don’t know.

Not aiming for a cyclists vs motorists thread by the way, just genuinely curious as to what’s considered normal or acceptable.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As a car driver I give the same width as overtaking a car as I do one cyclist, so on the right side of the road effectively. If I do come across a group as you've described, it makes it very difficult to overtake whilst giving the space for their protection. Anything beyond two abreast is bad etiquette in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Would you overtake a car without crossing completely into the other lane?

Give cyclists the same courtesy you would a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

delly wrote: »
    As a car driver I give the same width as overtaking a car as I do one cyclist, so on the right side of the road effectively. If I do come across a group as you've described, it makes it very difficult to overtake whilst giving the space for their protection. Anything beyond two abreast is bad etiquette in my opinion.
    Would three cyclists be the same width as a car? So you have to overtake like you would a car, on the other side of the road after checking it's safe to do so.

I've been both, and as a driver it's annoying if stuck for a while, like being stuck behind a tractor.

But as a cyclist, it's terrifying if a car flies past you too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you sure they are three abreast ?
    More often it’s just your angle that makes it look that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you sure they are three abreast ?
    More often it’s just your angle that makes it look that way.

The outermost cyclists would have been close to the white centre line, yes.

It’s not something I really noticed happening before, but this is the 4th time in the last 10 days. There’s an outside chance it’s the same group!

I was just wondering if it’s a thing to do this, if it’s a safety in numbers thing. I’d always give cyclists plenty room when overtaking them, and give them space when it’s not safe to overtake yet, but it’s hard to give them the space the RSA recommends if they’re out so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TBH its not great as things go, the law says no more than two unless o/t then three, by going three up you block any others that may be potentially faster than you.

Would also destroy the up'n'over setup so I'd wonder if they're actually that experienced. We run groups of less than 16 (ideally 8-12) and two up so you'll only pass 6x2 at the largest. Going 4x3 wouldn't happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'd say 90% chance it's actually 2 abreast but looks like 3 from a following/ overtaking car. It's a very common illusion. There are several videos and pics that illustrate it.
    Pass them as you would a car, that's the point of riding 2 abreast.
    ETA: if it wasn't so late I'd add a video. Plenty out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

colm_mcm wrote: »

Is it encouraged to take up the full lane so that motorists will excercise more caution when overtaking? Maybe they’re just being assholes, I genuinely don’t know.

Both are possible, but 'taking the lane' is a common tactic for safety, whether it's a cyclist on their own or cyclists in a group.

Given you're posting here asking about this, it's obvious you're a conscientious driver, but unfortunately when a cyclist or a group of cyclists keep right in left and in single file, you will frequently get 'buzzed' very closely by those who aren't as courteous, which is quite the experience, especially on high speed rural roads.

Having said that, decent cyclist(s) should try and help out/be courteous in accommodating a pass if and when they can. Unfortunately, it doesnt always happen that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

3 abreast is legal, as long as the cyclist(s) is overtaking the two cyclists cycling 2 abreast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As Lapierre said, but most likely they were only two a breast but the second (or subsequent) rows were not in line.

But again, as others said, on most roads you cannot leave a safe distance without crossing the centre line even if they were singled out. You could only do so by doing a close, unsafe pass.

I'd make the comparison of passing a tractor rather than a car, which is also pretty frequent this time of the year on rural roads.

Judging by around Wicklow, they could also be taking different lines to avoid the worst of the melted tar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Given the time of year and current weather there'll be a lot of inexperienced cyclists out on the road. There will be groups of mates who will be cycling 3 or 4 abreast having a natter not realising what they are doing, especially on narrower/quieter roads.

Given that there is more inexperienced cyclists out who are more likely to do something silly or unexpected, I'd give them a bit more space than you normally would. Generally if you hang back for a few seconds they'll hear you and "tidy up" for you to pass safely.

There is always the "friendly beep" option but this has the risk of going badly!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my friendly beep car horn is broken at the moment.

Advertisement