Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over weight baby - Child abuse?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

They could start here:

TUSLA: Contact a social worker

Or make a report in their local Garda station.

If the social worker or the Garda agreed with the OP then an investigation would be carried out, the Gardaí would liaise with social services (for all the criticism they receive as organisations, there are some fantastic people working in both the Gardaí and social services), and both the parents and the children would be offered the help they need if it was decided they actually needed help. Sometimes it's decided that it's in the best interests of the child to temporarily remove them from the family home, but always with the intention that the child or children will return to the family home at some point.

Exactly, they're more concerned for their own welfare than they are the welfare of the child, so nothing is done and the child in their eyes continues to be neglected and abused while they know about it, and do nothing.

Sorry to trouble you garda but my neighbour has a fat child, a good way to be laughed out of the station.

Yes it is abuse.
    If you're fat as a child it's likely you will spend your whole life fighting with weight gain.

Not always true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

But measurements are just measurements. Size 12 is not a healthy size, as are not size 8 or 18. I know for myself at what size approximately I am healthy weight and when I am slim but it's different for everyone else. On average we are also about 10cm taller so comparing ourselves with people 70 years ago is a bit pointless. People then also had a lot harder lives and they were not necessarily healthier. Audrey Hepburn almost died of starvation during ww2 and was plagued by health problems for the rest of her life.

Height through time:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/height-irish-2899850-Jul2016/

There is no denying we are getting more overweight and that it's becoming more normalised. However historical comparisons are only relevant if we take into account factors as height, health, sometimes even malnutrition.

I was thinking about this thread driving home from work yesterday and really noticed, for the first time, just how many people are overweight nowadays. I'd say over half the people I drove past were overweight or obese. It definitely wasn't like that years ago.

There's a video on YouTube made in Ireland in the 1930's, only one overweight person in the whole video and he is American but is cast as an Irishman in the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Clothes sizes aren’t a valid indication of anything. A 10 in one shop is an 8 in another or a 12 in a third. I miss being able to buy trousers in inch measurements.

Secondly, it is dead easy to eat healthily and quickly on a budget. I shopped for myself and himself and will feed 2 adults on under €50 for the week. And both of us work full time, so there’ll be no spending hours over a stove. We’re even having homemade pizza tomorrow: I'll make the dough tonight and cold rise it in the fridge, and I’ll throw a couple of tins of tomato into the slow cooker before work tomorrow and come home to tomato sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Everything is child abuse lately. Smoking in the car, teaching religion, letting them go for a run outside. All f*cking child abuse according to the tweeting mobs

And EVERYONE thinks they know how to raise other people's children, :rolleyes:

Neyite wrote: »
    A lot aren't unfortunately.

Dressmaking patterns have even veered in sizing from couture days and even those differ hugely from what sizes are in the shops. An 8-10 in high street shops translates to maybe a 14-16 on some dressmaking patterns if you go by actual inches or centimetres:

vintage_sizing_large.png?2346

But if you grab a tape measure and measured actual inches, it's a very interesting (if depressing!) experiment. Start with the hip size which you measure as 9" below your waist point, and that's your basic pattern 'size'. You adjust all other measurements such as bust, height etc on the pattern but the pattern size you buy will be the one that will fit your hips as that's the widest part of the female body.

I think those sizing charts refer to US sizing, a Euro size 10 is equal to a US size 14. There's no way a size 14 has a 26 inch waist - which is quite slim - in Euro sizing, but certainly could be with US sizing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Neyite wrote: »
    A lot aren't unfortunately.

Dressmaking patterns have even veered in sizing from couture days and even those differ hugely from what sizes are in the shops. An 8-10 in high street shops translates to maybe a 14-16 on some dressmaking patterns if you go by actual inches or centimetres:

vintage_sizing_large.png?2346

But if you grab a tape measure and measured actual inches, it's a very interesting (if depressing!) experiment. Start with the hip size which you measure as 9" below your waist point, and that's your basic pattern 'size'. You adjust all other measurements such as bust, height etc on the pattern but the pattern size you buy will be the one that will fit your hips as that's the widest part of the female body.

Why does everyone keep focusing on measurements?

I’m saying that there are enough healthy weight folks around that the point of reference is there for us all to see, every day. Despite the dire warnings, we all still see plenty of people who are a very healthy weight and they are not all being called “too thin”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Candie wrote: »
    I think those sizing charts refer to US sizing, a Euro size 10 is equal to a US size 14. There's no way a size 14 has a 26 inch waist - which is quite slim - in Euro sizing, but certainly could be with US sizing.

Uk size 10 is equal to US size 6. Euro size would be 38 or 36 depending what is considered Euro size. I wouldn't be surprised if those were sizes then. When I was growing up in 80's and 90's ideal hourglass would be 90-60-90 or approximately 35.5 -23.5-35.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

....... wrote: »
    How?

I spend 200 per week on the shopping - now granted it, that includes booze, cleaning products, personal hygiene products as well as food - but we would spent 70 euro in the butchers alone each week.

How many people are you feeding? What are you feeding them as well that it costs almost 30 euro a day?

How?

I spend 200 per week on the shopping - now granted it, that includes booze, cleaning products, personal hygiene products as well as food - but we would spent 70 euro in the butchers alone each week.[/quote]
    Vegetarianism. And we don’t drink at all at the moment and much generally. Even when I ate meat regularly i’d Never have spent near that much!
    Mon: roast asparagus cous cous with feta
    Tue: pizza
    Wed: omelette and sweet potato chips
    Thur: veg curry w/rice
    Fri: veg fried rice
    Sat & Sun: TBD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

You obv just have expensive taste! I spend approx €60 in Lidl (inc wine) and €20 ish in the butcher and that does two adults for all dinners and most lunches for a week.

How?

I spend 200 per week on the shopping - now granted it, that includes booze, cleaning products, personal hygiene products as well as food - but we would spent 70 euro in the butchers alone each week.
    You obv just have expensive taste! I spend approx €60 in Lidl (inc wine) and €20 ish in the butcher and that does two adults for all dinners and most lunches for a week.
    I am genuinely struggling to understand how 2 people can spend that much in food in an average week. I can only assume they’re buying top of the range everything, are the size of houses, have rampant alcoholism, or there is massive food wastage every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I order from a butcher, spending about €70 each time. That meat does my husband and me for a fortnight, sometimes more. And my husband eats a LOT of meat. The meat order does us for dinners, lunches and cooked weekend breakfasts. So that’s approximately €35 a week on good quality meat. Add in veg, fruit, milk, butter, sugar, eggs and other fiddly bits and we wouldn’t spend more than €70-€80 a week as a couple. I choose pork chops, chicken legs, rib mince, pork fillet and other tasty cheaper cuts for the bulk of the order with a few more expensive cuts of meat thrown in.

I wonder could you have a word with my wife? 😀😀😀

kylith wrote: »
    I am genuinely struggling to understand how 2 people can spend that much in food in an average week. I can only assume they’re buying top of the range everything, are the size of houses, have rampant alcoholism, or there is massive food wastage every week.

You'd be surprised, if you are running in and out of shops every day and not tracking your spending and going into expensive shops you wouldn't be long spending a lot of money on little products.

Dakota Dan wrote: »

You'd be surprised, if you are running in and out of shops every day and not tracking your spending and going into expensive shops you wouldn't be long spending a lot of money on little products.
    Could be. I stocktake every Sunday, do up a menu for the week, shop, stock up alternately on store cupboard staples or cleaning supplies. I take leftovers for lunch a fair amount of the time too.

Sometimes I find it’s worth paying more to eventually spend less. I’ve bought a roll of bamboo kitchen paper, which was 5 times the price of a roll of paper in the shop, but can be laundered and reused hundreds of times. Good for the bank account, good for the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Yes, definitely not, no (at least, I hope not), not really.

As I said, thats not just food, thats food, cleaning stuff, personal hygiene stuff, booze, pet food etc... Neither of us has any spend on food outside of the house during the week, ie, we both bring breakfast and lunch to work and then have dinner at home.

Very little wastage, my husband eats for several, but he is hugely active, cycles quite a distance to and from work each day and goes to the gym 5 times a week - on top of all the meat/greens/rice he consumes he buys protein shakes/bars/peanut butter that are not in the weekly shop etc. I often joke that its like feeding a large pedigree dog the very highest quality food. Absolutely bottomless, wont touch junk food and weighs everything he preps so no waste at all from him. I think he brings 4 meals to work - outside of his breakfast and dinner I mean.

I probably only eat 1/4 of the food shop. But yes, top of the range everything, free range eggs, local honey, he eats a good bit of expensive steak and turkey, we only use turkey mince, no cheap cuts of meat as neither of us tolerate fatty meat well or have the time to slow cook, he likes his "good" coffee etc. Now that I see it written down I see he costs me a fortune ;) I think in salmon darnes from LIDL alone it costs us 20 ~euro a week.

But even if I were just feeding myself, Id struggle to do it on 25 quid a week. Dinners maybe, but not breakfasts/lunches and dinners.

You should have started with the fact that he's abnormally physically active and eats enough for 2 or 3 people.

You should have started with the fact that he's abnormally physically active and eats enough for 2 or 3 people.
    It certainly explains a lot! That much money makes a lot more sense when you’re essentially feeding 5 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

It's not child abuse. It's probably wrong, and it raises major questions about responsibility, but legitimate child abuse? Not for me.

If the parent(s) was purposely and consciously trying to make the child obese then yeah it's absolutely abuse, but if you can't prove a malicious intent by the mother or father then I'd be hard pressed to go along with the abuse angle. Intent is key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sometimes I find it’s worth paying more to eventually spend less. I’ve bought a roll of bamboo kitchen paper, which was 5 times the price of a roll of paper in the shop, but can be laundered and reused hundreds of times. Good for the bank account, good for the planet.

Where'd you buy it, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

Thank you for telling me what I should and shouldnt say. Helpful.

However, you conveniently missed my last point. Im not abnormally active and I couldnt eat on 25 quid a week.[/quote]
    I find that economy of scale really helps. A big bag of brown rice from the Asia Market works out a lot cheaper than the equivalent weight in small bags from Tesco. I buy teabags in bulk too, and I buy own brand whenever possible. I also make a lot: flatbread from a shop are a few euro, but cost literally pennies if you can afford an hour for them to prove, and the same dough will do pizzas too. As I said upthread, i’ll put 4 tins of tomatoes, a diced onion, and a bulb of minced garlic in the slow cooker and make a pile of tomato sauce for €2 that would cost 4 or 5 times that to buy Ragu.

Dial Hard wrote: »

Where'd you buy it, if you don't mind me asking?
    Amazon.

Could be. I stocktake every Sunday, do up a menu for the week, shop, stock up alternately on store cupboard staples or cleaning supplies. I take leftovers for lunch a fair amount of the time too.

Surely a tea towel would be cheaper, multiple uses and not disposed of?

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Surely a tea towel would be cheaper, multiple uses and not disposed of?

It's a pain in the arse to wash a tea-towel every time you need to wipe up a spill cos you don't usually have a pile of 50 tea towels around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It's a pain in the arse to wash a tea-towel every time you need to wipe up a spill cos you don't usually have a pile of 50 tea towels around.

I am one of these crazy people with a horrendous amount of towels and tea towels :pac:

I gotta agree with pretty much everything you say though, cooking from scratch and significantly reducing your meat intake really takes a lot of weight from your wallet. That and not buying booze (I'm not a drinker and he buys in bulk but rarely drinks) and not buying fizzy drinks or a big load of convenience food really helps.
    A long time ago I started cooking a lot of Asian food, I got so good at it that we never ever have Chinese takeaway. If I feel frisky I do the sweet&sour chicken at home with a sauce that's surprisingly easy to mix yourself with some basic Asian condiments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement