Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa debit in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 28-06-2018 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Hi BOI,

I'm buying a car in Northern Ireland and wanted to know if I can use my debit card and is there a sterling limit?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Hi BOI,

I'm buying a car in Northern Ireland and wanted to know if I can use my debit card and is there a sterling limit?

Many thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

There should only be a limit on ATM cash withdrawal using your Visa Debit card. So once you're using the card directly with the retailer and they have checked that they checked that there card system can accept a payment of this sixe you should have no problem making this transaction.
    As it is in a different currency, I'd ask that you place travel notice on your card before using it and you can do this through the "Service Desk" tab of your 365 online profile.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

All done as suggested by you and no issues today. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Are you seriously suggesting that people notify the bank when travelling to Northern Ireland?

Can I just confirm that this is official Bank of Ireland policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bank of Ireland: Tara C

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your post.

If a customer is using card for a large transaction that would be out of usual course we would advise to give notice on account.

Thanks,
    Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your post.

If a customer is using card for a large transaction that would be out of usual course we would advise to give notice on account.

Thanks,
    Tara C

Which is what i did and no issues at all.
    Simple bit of additional security is fine by me. Rather that than someone using my stolen card abroad. Thanks BOI

• Advertisement
Advertisement