Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2005 Yaris value

• 28-06-2018 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭

A good friend has a 2005 Yaris (mk1) with 40k miles, 1 previous owner, very clean inside and out etc.

Out of NCT and tax however since 2014/15.

Any ideas of its current value?

He doesn’t have a figure in mind at the minute. Not a car person at all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can view similar cars like this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Toyota/Yaris?year_from=2004&year_to=2006
    https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/cars-motorbikes-boats/cars/toyota/yaris/52270/year_2004-2006/
    Without tax and NCT it might be trickier so cut a bit off on the price for that, or take it to NCT and get a fresh cert.

Has the car been sitting idle for years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Yeah, its been idle four years or so.

I suppose with a new test and considering the mileage it would be worth €2k?

Would it be silly to start at a grand as is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Values of them have started to fall now because insurance on anything of that age is becoming harder. With a fresh NCT I'd say a good one would fetch around €1700, without maybe €900/950?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The NCT is key, with it I'd say could be worth double or triple without. It's a minefield with a car with no NCT for over 3 years, most people would assume it's been off the road for 3 years so lots of seized parts, mould, rust etc.

As AD said - a car sitting idle for several years could have developed all kinds of issues.
    Essentially it is not worth anything in its current state, at least to someone who knows anything about cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

bazz26 wrote: »
    With a fresh NCT I'd say a good one would fetch around €1700

Not if someone checks the car history and sees that the car hasn't been taxed for 4 years. Big red flag.

Noone wants to buy a car that hasn't been used for the past 4 years. Unless there's a huge discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I really think your average Yaris buyer will be more impressed with the mileage and won’t care that it was sitting up once it’s tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

A good friend has a 2005 Yaris (mk1) with 40k miles, 1 previous owner, very clean inside and out etc.

Out of NCT and tax however since 2014/15.

Any ideas of its current value?

He doesn’t have a figure in mind at the minute. Not a car person at all

He should be happy for anyone to take it off his hands, period.
    Nothing to loose by sticking it up on Done Deal, the right person may pick it up for a few hundred.
    Cars are not designed to be left idle for that amount of time. The repair bill will likely be massive, particularly if you can not do the work yourself, it's a gamble.

If you are trying to establish a price for you to buy it off him.... I would keep friendship and business apart and just say thanks but no thanks.

Change all the fluids (incl brake fluid) and put it up for NCT, go from there.

I don’t think he will go to the bother of NCTing it. I gather he will be happy with just about anything for it. Tempting but I have too much as it is.

Will be advertising it for him, thinking of starting at 7ish now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I have bought a few if these in the last year. In private sales mk1 yaris over 2k are not selling that easily.
    With a Nct 1600 to 1800 would be the price to sell at. Advertise @ 1950. If it's as good as you say it will sell.

No Nct 600 would be the price.
    Regardless of it been off the road for 4 years they are very easy to put thru the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

500 snots on a good day

I don’t think he will go to the bother of NCTing it. I gather he will be happy with just about anything for it. Tempting but I have too much as it is.

Will be advertising it for him, thinking of starting at 7ish now?
    What county is the car located?

Based in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Put it through the NCT and try to get a grand for it, or even better put 3 months tax on it as well

Based in Dublin

I'm too far away otherwise i would have it.
    Advertise it for 850 you will get 600 for it. You have a huge market for it in Dublin. Someone will buy it and Nct it and flip it for 1600 to 1800.

Duke you know cars, buy it yourself, Nct it and flip it. If you feel as get the guy half the profit. Better for you to make a profit than a stranger.
    They are bulletproof anyway

I have two yokes I'd need to get rid of first, but I'm just waiting to pick up an NCT cert for one of them on Monday and it'll be up on Donedeal.

I hadn't really considered buying it to be honest but will think about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Has it been stored in a garage? Does it actually run okay?

Its actually been under a carport thing since being parked. Don't see why it won't run to be honest, he hasn't said otherwise

Have put it to him about the NCT and he's going to go with that anyway. I did say he might get around €2k for it with NCT and three months tax. Hopefully I don't disappoint!

• Advertisement

I’d love to see a thread on the restoration.

Can do!

I stopped by to have a look at this today. Turns out there’s 40k KILOMETERS on the clock! It’s like new. Tyres don’t seem to have perished at all, engine mounts look good too.

I’m going to give a hand on the weekend cleaning it up

Heres a couple of photos I took today. A mechanic is hopefully dropping down later to give it a once over, will hear what he reckons it'll need for a test. Will maybe start a tidy up thread when things get off the ground

Do we reckon the mileage will add any more value to it?

43156055631_0e5d8bcabe_c.jpg

43156055131_b441c43013_c.jpg

42438083724_1ec84585e3_c.jpg

Heres a couple of photos I took today. A mechanic is hopefully dropping down later to give it a once over, will hear what he reckons it'll need for a test. Will maybe start a tidy up thread when things get off the ground

Do we reckon the mileage will add any more value to it?

43156055631_0e5d8bcabe_c.jpg

43156055131_b441c43013_c.jpg

42438083724_1ec84585e3_c.jpg
    Don't put money or parts into it before the test. I hope it's a mechanic you know well. It could go straight thru but would need some driving to get the back brakes working.
    The only issue with value i can see is insurance companies clamping down on older cars.
    Keep us updated

I think you’ll be eaten alive for it. Needs proper wheel trims!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Dibs!

I know the mechanic, he's fair. He's going to do a service, fluids and unstick the back brakes (handbrake was left on!) and bring it to an NCT on the owners behalf. Not an awful lot of money involved yet but it will be nice to get a to-do list from that, or a new cert!

I've told my friend to dig out all of the paperwork he has for the car and I'll call down for a look. It really is one of those cars that only every went to the shop and to mass and then home. His father bought it new and had it until 2010. My friend bought it from his estate when he died and only kept it for the convenience of having it, hardly drove it in the four years he had it on the road apparently.

Nice as all that is I was wondering if any of it will really help with selling it, so Colm I hope you are right!

How is she coming along?

• Advertisement

kermitpwee wrote: »
    How is she coming along?

Will hopefully have an update from the mechanic tomorrow, was a bit slow getting things off the ground!

How is she coming along?

Update a bit later than anticipated, failed an NCT on something minor relating to one tyre; I dunno what it is yet; but hoping to have a new cert early next week. There’s been a bit of work done to it that I’ll post up when I know. I’m keen to clean it!

M

Signs of mould in some of the photos, I'd say get a good fabric cleaner like Autoglym Interior Shampoo on the seats and carpets, will get rid of any mould smell and will freshen it up, I'd do the carpets in the boot too.

Now NCT’d till March 2019. Hoping to get it cleaned up and on donedeal by the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Now NCT’d till March 2019. Hoping to get it cleaned up and on donedeal by the weekend

How much are you thinking of putting it up for? I might have a potential buyer, in the true sense of the word.

I'll most likely advertise and sell it on my friend's behalf, and start with a chancy €2250 maybe. Really not sure yet!

• Advertisement
    M

I'd say the finish of the car could still come up great, a clay bar should bring it up fresh. Not sure if it's worth going out and buying a new set of original Yaris hubcaps, could be talking €50-€60 from a main dealer but it would put a nice finishing touch, at that end of the market though people might just want a shiney reliable car.

I'd say the finish of the car could still come up great, a clay bar should bring it up fresh. Not sure if it's worth going out and buying a new set of original Yaris hubcaps, could be talking €50-€60 from a main dealer but it would put a nice finishing touch, at that end of the market though people might just want a shiney reliable car.

I wonder are there any mobile detailers in Dublin who'd come out and give it a good going over? I've never even clay bar'd one of my own cars, and my friend in question would be happy to go at it with a bucket of soapy water and a dish sponge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I like the idea of getting it valeted and OEM hub caps, it'd do the car great justice but I think it will cross the line of money you wont get back in the sale, unlike the service and NCT which will add value. Whoever buys that car will most likely be a cute hoor anyway and will be able to see past the spurious hub caps and patina.

Is she gone?

Is she gone?

Ah he’s thinking about keeping it now! I haven’t been down in a while, must do in the next few days for a look

• Advertisement
Advertisement