Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity Leave

Options
  • 28-06-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, we're due a baby in about 4 and a half weeks. My OH has been trying to sort out paternity leave, he filled in a form that work gave him and they told him to drop it to social welfare, as he was working all week he got his mum to drop it in for him- where they informed her they no longer deal with that and it's all done online now.

So OH went online and it's telling him he has to go to the social welfare office to be verified with his ID and phone number before he can apply, the problem is he's working the hours they're open all week, is there a way around this, can he be verified online or something of the like?

He is booking off a holiday day next week so he could do it then but we would prefer to do it before hand if possible as it's supposed to be applied for 4 weeks before baby is due and by his day off it will be past that.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, I know it's a complete pain, but the initial registration has to be done by appointment at an Intreo centre.

He doesn't have to go to the one local to home though; is there one he can go to near work? That's what I did, I used my lunch break to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

hazelZzz wrote: »
    Hi, we're due a baby in about 4 and a half weeks. My OH has been trying to sort out paternity leave, he filled in a form that work gave him and they told him to drop it to social welfare, as he was working all week he got his mum to drop it in for him- where they informed her they no longer deal with that and it's all done online now.

So OH went online and it's telling him he has to go to the social welfare office to be verified with his ID and phone number before he can apply, the problem is he's working the hours they're open all week, is there a way around this, can he be verified online or something of the like?

He is booking off a holiday day next week so he could do it then but we would prefer to do it before hand if possible as it's supposed to be applied for 4 weeks before baby is due and by his day off it will be past that.

Thanks!

He has to get a PSC in order to avail of Parernity Leave . This requires his to present himself with photo I’d proof of address and a birth cert if he wasn’t born in Ireland. As soon as he does that he can go ahead with his paternity benefit application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Hi all,

just jumping on board here, I had my Paternity leave a few weeks ago and my wages today had a minus figure on it, so effectively down a good lump in wages.

Work never advised me I had to do anything and I just thought you put the paternity leave through and that was it.

Can someone advise of the process please? am I still entitled even though I never applied before?

I also assume that I get the full amount back through Social is that right?

Paternity leave from work and paternity benefit from the state are separate.

You will need to apply for paternity benefit. You're supposed to do it 4 weeks before you're due to take the leave, but as far as I know you can do it retrospectively. You'll need to contact them.

You don't get the full amount back, you get €480 (€240 per week).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/paternity_benefit.html

Thanks Seamus, yes the amount made sense (€480) 2 weeks leave.

Work never advised of the process so was none the wiser

Thanks I'll get onto them and have it looked into.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My OH did this a few months ago...:rolleyes: Took weeks to explain to him (ie, for him to listen to me:D) that you can apply for paternity leave in work alright, but you have to inform the State separately to get the money.....

That said, they only do it online, and don't explain the process very well, until you get it wrong. OP, my husband had to get a new driving licence last year, so they actually informed him they could use the driving licence info to give him a public services card, if he was ok with that. He said he was, so they sent the card out to him with no need for him to go in (it did take quite a while), and then he could go head and verify himself online etc. Does your husband have a new licence - maybe he could ask about that??

fitzparker wrote: »
    Thanks Seamus, yes the amount made sense (€480) 2 weeks leave.

Work never advised of the process so was none the wiser

Thanks I'll get onto them and have it looked into.
    Ah right, I'm guessing that your company were offering you paid paternity leave, minus the benefit.

This is not universal, but relatively common. They should have explained to you that you'd need to claim the €480 yourself.

seamus wrote: »
    Ah right, I'm guessing that your company were offering you paid paternity leave, minus the benefit.

This is not universal, but relatively common. They should have explained to you that you'd need to claim the €480 yourself.

Yes this is exactly it. That's why I was asking if I got the full amount back as i was confused, but the penny dropped its the €240 x 2 weeks. I will follow the process online and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

fitzparker wrote: »
    Yes this is exactly it. That's why I was asking if I got the full amount back as i was confused, but the penny dropped its the €240 x 2 weeks. I will follow the process online and go from there

There’s no onus on the employer to inform the employee about benefits at all. I think people who have never applied for anything at all before are at a serious disadvantage in this aspect.

Advertisement