Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale agreed on our house - Attic conversion holding things up

Options
  • 28-06-2018 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    We are sale agreed on our house. The previous owners Converted the attic 9 years ago. In our ad we advertised it as storage room.
    While we and the couple who are buying it are happy, they are worried about drawing down the mortgage. They feel the bank may not give the mortgage. Their surveyor was happy but they've asked about certs of compliance. We have no literature for the conversion and anyone I've asked about the cert are not comfortable giving it as it's not their own work.
    We are stuck and I don't know how to proceed at this stage.
    The conversion has 1 velux window to the rear and one to the front. I'm told the one to the front could cause issues.
    Any advice would be gratefully appreciated here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dapop

Is it simply the purchaser who is concerned or has their solicitor raised concerns?

If their solicitor is happy that should be sufficient.

Same applies to the lender - if the conversion is an issue with the lender address it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The velux window in the front would have required planning permission. There is no real risk if it can be proved it was done at least 9 years ago.
    Sounds like your solicitor and surveyor when you purchased the house let you down. They should have pointed this out back then and got the vendors to sort it out.
    There really isn't a certificate of compliance unless it is being sold as a habitable room. As you said it isn't then it doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There really isn't a certificate of compliance unless it is being sold as a habitable room. As you said it isn't then it doesn't apply.

This is not what we were told in a similar situation. We needed it as structural changes had been made to the property, so your purchaser will require compliance documents certifying planning exemption and also compliance with building regulations. Not sure how it stacks with the velux.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The velux window in the front would have required planning permission. There is no real risk if it can be proved it was done at least 9 years ago.
    Sounds like your solicitor and surveyor when you purchased the house let you down. They should have pointed this out back then and got the vendors to sort it out.

It was a bank sale when we purchased which basically meant it was buy as seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Even at that, you should have been advised of the issues and how they might be sorted out. You may be able to get a statutory declaration that the velux has been there for at least 7 years and make it a special condition in your contract for sale that the purchaser accepts it as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

And the same applies to potential purchasers. It will depend on their solicitor and a possible condition of the purchasers mortgage contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

And the same applies to potential purchasers. It will depend on their solicitor and a possible condition of the purchasers mortgage contract.

The Law Society standard contract requires the vendor to state that the property in question complies with planning permission. If this has to be modified, because the property does not have planning permission either for its construction or for alterations it is quite possible that a bank would refuse a mortgage. It is not like selling a second-hand car.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Having the same issue on a house we’re sale agreed on, Surveyors report flagged some sagging of the roof and this could be directly related to the converted attic! The attic was done in 2005 with no planning but has an architects cert for the work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Even at that, you should have been advised of the issues and how they might be sorted out. You may be able to get a statutory declaration that the velux has been there for at least 7 years and make it a special condition in your contract for sale that the purchaser accepts it as is.

The seven years refers to the time limit for a prosecution by the planning authority. The passage of the seven years does not validate any unauthorised development

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Having the same issue on a house we’re sale agreed on, Surveyors report flagged some sagging of the roof and this could be directly related to the converted attic! The attic was done in 2005 with no planning but has an architects cert for the work

Was the architect report from the time it was done or at a later stage.
    Basically our buyers are happy to preceded and want to quickly. They are worried about drawing down the mortgage. All I want is to get something that says it's a safe structure. Is an architect the best person to go for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Was the architect report from the time it was done or at a later stage.
    Basically our buyers are happy to preceded and want to quickly. They are worried about drawing down the mortgage. All I want is to get something that says it's a safe structure. Is an architect the best person to go for that?

It’s the current Surveyors report (we’re buying the house) you’ll need to get a certificate from the architect saying it conforms to building regs! But if they carry out a Surveyors report like mine their solicitor may not let them sign contracts if there’s a hint of any structural instability!

Mark1916 wrote: »
    It’s the current Surveyors report (we’re buying the house) you’ll need to get a certificate from the architect saying it conforms to building regs! But if they carry out a Surveyors report like mine their solicitor may not let them sign contracts if there’s a hint of any structural instability!

There surveyor highlighted that no steel bee s were used. But according to our estate agent he will still sign off on the house. He has asked for cert of compliance though. To get that we may have to go through planning. We obviously don't want to do that, nor do the other couple, due to time constraints. Basically I want something to say the conversion is safe, and then give them the option of planning permission retention in the future if they so wish.

There surveyor highlighted that no steel bee s were used. But according to our estate agent he will still sign off on the house. He has asked for cert of compliance though. To get that we may have to go through planning. We obviously don't want to do that, nor do the other couple, due to time constraints. Basically I want something to say the conversion is safe, and then give them the option of planning permission retention in the future if they so wish.

Is their solicitor aware of the issues at this stage? They might be gullible first time buyers but might have a good solicitor.

Is their solicitor aware of the issues at this stage? They might be gullible first time buyers but might have a good solicitor.

They are first time buyers. I imagine their solicitor will know from the copy of the surveyors report. Didn't think we would have this much stress over essential storage space in the attic which we advertised as such.

Your attic was converted illegally. You have a velux window which was installed without planning permission, which is a criminal offence. You have had 3 years to sort this out before now and didn't bother. Not every purchaser will tolerate such a situation and many solicitors will be anxious to protect their clients from the consequences of an illegal conversion. Many banks will not accept the qualified certificates of title, particularly where planning permission is concerned. Architects are, understandably, quite reluctant to certify something that they were not involved with at the time the work was done. In some cases their professional indemnity insurance won't allow it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

is it the velux window in the front that is causing the issue? without that planning permission wouldnt be required? I didnt get planning for my attic conversion but all the windows are in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Just block up the velux

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Didn't think we would have this much stress over essential storage space in the attic which we advertised as such.
    If it's just "essential storage" then why does it have two sets of velux windows?

My "essential storage" is a windowless room with a light bulb hanging from the ceiling.

"Storage" when it is being sold. Wink. Wink. A Bedroom normally. Also, a firetrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Lads. There's two different "compliances" in question here:

1. Planning compliance. The front window doesn't comply with the relevant planning permission and is unauthorised. In the normal course of events the vendor applies for retention and the professional they employ for that purpose certifies compliance with planning when the retention permission is obtained. It is correct that after 7 years (or in some cases 12) the local authority cannot force the owner to remove the offending velux but it is still unauthorised.

2. Compliance with the Building Regulations which means compliance with ALL aspects of the building regulations including fire safety, structural safety, appropriate access sizes, insulation levels, etc. The architect and or structural engineer who oversaw the conversion would usually provide an opinion on compliance with the buildings regulations. Two opinions may be required because most architects would not have sufficient structural engineering qualifications to sign off on the structural changes.

Finally: No estate agent would ever sign of on either of the above so there is some sort of miscommunication if anyone expects an estate agent to act as anything other than an intermediary in such circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

as mentioned above the certification required for solicitors to comply with law society guidelines is not the same as a building regulation one. I had this done recently and some engineers tried to convince me I needed to pay up to 7000 for the service. It was not that they were trying to rip me off but they were just ignorant of the new regulations. People get these letters all the time for about 300-500. it just says that the architect cannot see anything against regulations (on the surface, it is not a guarantee that it meets regulations - which will cost about 5-7000). Most solicitors should be able to recommend an architect that will fill out the form.

In the OP case the building does not comply with regulations so their best bet may be to apply for retention planning. It may be refused as velux to the front are very rare.

It appears that this conversion was carried out by a person who: –
    1. Did not seek or obtain planning permission
    2. Did not pay the repayments on their mortgage to the bank.
    3. Did not put in steel supports.
    The chances of this being compliant with regulations are slim to none.
    Most likely it is structurally unsound and is a fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

AlanG wrote: »
    the architect cannot see anything against regulations

The problem in this case is that the architect WILL see something against the regulations. I guarantee you the previous owner did not upgrade all the doors accessing the corridors on the other two floors with fire doors as per regulations.

This is apparent to the naked eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you panacking here a bit, go for retention and add 50k to the asking price or tell them buy it as is or it's been taken off the market and will be relisted at a higher price in a few months, up to them.

Are you panacking here a bit, go for retention and add 50k to the asking price or tell them buy it as is or it's been taken off the market and will be relisted at a higher price in a few months, up to them.

The OP's purchasers want to buy as seen. The problem is that their solicitor or bank may not allow it. It is not a second-hand car.

The OP's purchasers want to buy as seen. The problem is that their solicitor or bank may not allow it. It is not a second-hand car.

I understand that, hence get it ok'd and relist it at a higher price as it now has an extra room. I'd make contact with the local bank valuer and get them to have a look and see what they say. If they can find out what bank the buyer is with it should be easy get them out for a look.
    If the solicitor is worth their salt they won't let them buy as is without covering themselves.

I understand that, hence get it ok'd .
    How much do you think that would cost and how long would it take?

4ensic15 wrote: »
    How much do you think that would cost and how long would it take?

Not 100% but I didn't bother going for planning convertintg the attic as one of the rooms wouldn't have met height regulations, we done it by the book otherwise, proper structural plans, reinforced the whole house with steel beams all around etc. Architect said it woud be easier just do it that way and go for retention if we ever want to sell, think he said it might cost about 1k. Was something around that figure.

I don't know what bank your with but ask them who the local valuer is, you might get lucky and it's a one stop shop so they could help with the retneton. Stay local with what ever your doing as they may have a lot more history than you know for example the velux could already be signed off but the local area manager it could be in the notes of the plans somewhere, the locals lads will know where to look. Even having a word with the estate agent you bought it from might be worth a call for advice.

Not 100% but I didn't bother going for planning convertintg the attic as one of the rooms wouldn't have met height regulations, we done it by the book otherwise, proper structural plans, reinforced the whole house with steel beams all around etc. Architect said it woud be easier just do it that way and go for retention if we ever want to sell, think he said it might cost about 1k. Was something around that figure.

I don't know what bank your with but ask them who the local valuer is, you might get lucky and it's a one stop shop so they could help with the retneton. Stay local with what ever your doing as they may have a lot more history than you know for example the velux could already be signed off but the local area manager it could be in the notes of the plans somewhere, the locals lads will know where to look. Even having a word with the estate agent you bought it from might be worth a call for advice.
    Planning permission is given by local authorities, not banks. The agent who sold it was acting on behalf of a bank who contracted out of any liability. There is zero channce of any plans, notes or sign off turning up. This is the adult world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

My parents tried to sell their house years ago. Was sale agreed until surveyor pointed out there was no steel supports and was very dangerous. Said if we got heavy snow then roof could've come in (not sure this is true or not). Anyway the sale fell through and mam and dad got the attic sorted.
    They weren't aware of the steel bolt thing because builder was a cowboy but they found out too late

Advertisement