Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any interesting liver recipes

Options
  • 28-06-2018 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭

Seems to be the marmite of meats but I like it taste wise and was hoping to include it again once a week or other week. Apart form the standard liver and onions and some kind of sauce, any other ways? the only other interesting variant I came across was to have it with bacon which sound like it could be good.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not really a summer dish but a liver and bacon casserole is nice. I don't really have a recipe as such but it involves liver, bacon or pancetta, onions, tinned tomatoes sage and a good dash of worcester sauce. The finer livers like lamb or calves liver are a bit wasted on it so I usually use pigs liver.

Being an English West Country boy, I'd also like to put in an honourable mention for fagg0ts! Not 100% liver as there's pork mince in them too but the liver is a vital ingredient in them. Again not really a summer dish though.

I remember having calves liver in an Italian restaurant once with marsala and sage too which was good and quite light. Probably just some butter with chopped sage in it, sautee the liver and flambe with the marsala I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

How about some pate? Really easy to make and soooo tasty!

Livers
    Loads of butter
    Shalots
    Port or brady

Cook the livers in a pan with 150g of butter until brown, finely dice the shalots, add the booze.

Blitz in a blender until smooth, place in containers and leave to cool in the fridge.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

davo2001 wrote: »

Livers
    Loads of butter
    Shalots
    Port or brady

Cook the livers in a pan with 150g of butter until brown, finely dice the shalots, add the booze.

Blitz in a blender until smooth, place in containers and leave to cool in the fridge.

Done.

Drool! Love homemade liver pate and so do kids as long as you don’t tell them what it’s made off. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

In this weather, this would be nice: https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/liverandbaconsalad_86845

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Not mad on liver myself , but how about a risotto with liver , pancetta and sage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Not mad on liver myself , but how about a risotto with liver , pancetta and sage?

And mushroom !

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I love the smell of liver cooking detest the taste

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks, some great ideas there, it wouldn't have occurred to me in a millions years to make pate, i'd guess shop bought liverwurst etc has a lot of crap in it so wouldn't be the best. The others sound great as well, I was vaguely aware that there was a dish called ******s, I had a look on youtube and a youtuber Keef Cooks had a recipe for it , also called Savoury Ducks apparently

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

My mam used to make liver and stuffing wrapped in bacon. Used to love it as a kid, haven't had it in years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

silverharp wrote: »
    The others sound great as well, I was vaguely aware that there was a dish called ******s, I had a look on youtube and a youtuber Keef Cooks had a recipe for it , also called Savoury Ducks apparently
    Yes, they're gorgeous, well I think so at least! They're an English West Country / Welsh thing and down there you'll see them for sale in butchers shops, so no real need to make them yourself. Lovely with lashings of onion gravy, creamy mash and peas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With a good chianti.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, they're gorgeous, well I think so at least! They're an English West Country / Welsh thing and down there you'll see them for sale in butchers shops, so no real need to make them yourself. Lovely with lashings of onion gravy, creamy mash and peas :)

its weird how English food seemed to have a poor reputation in media land back in the day yet has regional dishes that everyone would be commending if it was somewhere in France or Italy?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Livers
    Loads of butter
    Shalots
    Port or brady

Done.

Damn it, I got everything but liver in the butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Owryan wrote: »
    My mam used to make liver and stuffing wrapped in bacon. Used to love it as a kid, haven't had it in years though.

My Lancashire childhood....liver and bacon casserole with onions .The gravy was superb..

Livers
    Loads of butter
    Shalots
    Port or brady

Done.

I did above, but had no brandy or port. Would it soften the taste? As just on crackers, irs a bit strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

beertons wrote: »
    I did above, but had no brandy or port. Would it soften the taste? As just on crackers, irs a bit strong.

It's still lovely without Brady or port.

I'm all for less is more. But maybe it was missing something.

Advertisement