Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    WHy don't they care for the regions?

They were in some cases cobbled together teams.
    I imagine a comparison would be Tipperary and Limerick forming a new hurling team. Not ideal.

The IRFU were very fortunate that the provinces always existed and therefore the refocus from club to province was so smooth.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    WHy don't they care for the regions?

The answer to that question has been written about ad infinitum......

T he fault lies squarely with the wru and the clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Typical yank...he's watching the cheetahs on a 96" tv...makes everything look bigger ;)

Oops, brainfart. Meant the kings. Bear with me, I quarantined with the pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm not sure what the solution was though. The WRU acquiesced to the clubs and put them forward to compete in Europe and the Celtic League initially but it became very clear that some of those sides had no business being involved in a professional competition. A team like Caerphilly was further off the provinces than the likes of the Kings are today.

How the WRU were to bring together the resources and propose a solution that was palatable to the clubs is something that would make the Good Friday Agreement look straightforward. It was an unwinnable situation. The clubs were proud traditionalists and simply refused to accept the fact that they were nowhere near as good or important as they thought.

If they could go back and do it all again, the WRU would have been better off pushing representative regions forward for the European Cup when it came along in 1996 in the same manner that Ireland put forward the provinces rather than club teams. The fact that many saw the European Cup as a bit of a nothing tournament at that point would have made it somewhat easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Benetton 12 12 Scarlets 45 min gone

Benetton 12-12 Scarlets at the start of the second, McKinley is starting at 10.

Very big game in Conference B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Buer wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the solution was though. The WRU acquiesced to the clubs and put them forward to compete in Europe and the Celtic League initially but it became very clear that some of those sides had no business being involved in a professional competition. A team like Caerphilly was further off the provinces than the likes of the Kings are today.

How the WRU were to bring together the resources and propose a solution that was palatable to the clubs is something that would make the Good Friday Agreement look straightforward. It was an unwinnable situation. The clubs were proud traditionalists and simply refused to accept the fact that they were nowhere near as good or important as they thought.

If they could go back and do it all again, the WRU would have been better off pushing representative regions forward for the European Cup when it came along in 1996 in the same manner that Ireland put forward the provinces rather than club teams. The fact that many saw the European Cup as a bit of a nothing tournament at that point would have made it somewhat easier.
    They would have been better off but finding/deciding on what would be the areas the representative sides would represent would be/still is issue.
    If there was rugby in the north of the country it would have been something but it doesnt really exist too much above half way up the country.
    Yeah it would have been easy but clubs especially a few had(still have) too much power on issues over there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Whatever about the Welsh clubs being good enough the majority couldn't compete financially.

The WRU were paying off the Millennium Stadium, or whatever it's called, so were of little help.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Whatever about the Welsh clubs being good enough the majority couldn't compete financially.

The WRU were paying off the Millennium Stadium, or whatever it's called, so were of little help.

Yeah, that stadium may be fantastic, but it’s been a real issue for the game over there as it’s soaked up so much money that could and should have gone elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

17 all in Connacht v Cheetahs. 62 min.

• Advertisement

25-19 to Benetton. 71 gone. Scarlets have a man in the bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Scarlets look done, throwing away penalties now.

Commentators need to stop calling players brave for throwing their heads in on the wrong side for a tackle. It’s stupid and dangerous and needs to be highlighted where seen.

25 - 19 to Benetton v Scarlets, 72nd min.

Eod100 wrote: »
    25 - 19 to Benetton v Scarlets, 72nd min.

FT score

That is clutch! A Billy Holland play wins it for Benetton.

Benetton win. Stolen a line out on their own 5m with the clock in the red.

Wales Online about to go into meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

They were in some cases cobbled together teams.
    I imagine a comparison would be Tipperary and Limerick forming a new hurling team. Not ideal.

The IRFU were very fortunate that the provinces always existed and therefore the refocus from club to province was so smooth.

I'm not giving the WRU a pass on that. Munster had to get Shannon, Garryowen and Young Munster players and supporters on board. It's possible under the right identity.

And there are identities alive in Wales that the WRU could have drawn their regional lines, such as the split of language (Welsh, English Welsh, English) or geography (North, West, South-East) but they elected to concentrate the teams along the Bristol channel. Rugby people I know from the North of the country would bite your hand off for a Pro14 team in a town like Bangor or Colwyn Bay. And I can tell you the derbies between a team from up there, and team from Cardiff, would be pretty heated to say the least.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm not giving the WRU a pass on that. Munster had to get Shannon, Garryowen and Young Munster players and supporters on board. It's possible under the right identity.

And there are identities alive in Wales that the WRU could have drawn their regional lines, such as the split of language (Welsh, English Welsh, English) or geography (North, West, South-East) but they elected to concentrate the teams along the Bristol channel. Rugby people I know from the North of the country would bite your hand off for a Pro14 team in a town like Bangor or Colwyn Bay. And I can tell you the derbies between a team from up there, and team from Cardiff, would be pretty heated to say the least.
    Its not compareable though. Munster and all the provinces already played and always had. They just started playing more often.
    There always was an identity in playing for Munster/Connacht etc,
    They elected to concentrate teams where all the teams were.
    Ive family in Colwyn Bay but there isnt anywhere near the interest in rugby up there compared to down south.

Benetton into 3rd on points difference. Ulster 4th. Scarlets 5th. Will be some battle for 3rd/4th spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Yeah it's great to see the competition. Whisper it quietly around these parts but maybe just maybe somebody in the Pro14 are doing a good job.

OldRio wrote: »
    Yeah it's great to see the competition. Whisper it quietly around these parts but maybe just maybe somebody in the Pro14 are doing a good job.

Guess if Italian team qualifies at expense of Welsh team, it shows system is working. Not sure Welsh will agree though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Its not compareable though. Munster and all the provinces already played and always had. They just started playing more often.
    There always was an identity in playing for Munster/Connacht etc,
    They elected to concentrate teams where all the teams were.
    Ive family in Colwyn Bay but there isnt anywhere near the interest in rugby up there compared to down south.

Exactly, and concentrating regional identity around the teams was a terrible mistake. Imagine if the IRFU did the same? Connacht would basically never exist, and the IRFU would now face the unenviable task of generating support from outside Dublin and Limerick for the Dublin Dudes and the Limerick Lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Some win for Benetton today. Can't believe they are level with Edinburgh.

Glasgow almost go coast to coast, premier sport wales just want to go back and chat about an Evans mini break for Cardiff.

Decent enough game though

Cardiff punished for a poor crossfield effort. Kick wasn't good but the winger made a hash of it. If he had just kicked it on, Cardiff could have been the ones getting in. Instead he completely fluffed it and ran past the ball leacing Glasgow with a free run.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Exactly, and concentrating regional identity around the teams was a terrible mistake. Imagine if the IRFU did the same? Connacht would basically never exist, and the IRFU would now face the unenviable task of generating support from outside Dublin and Limerick for the Dublin Dudes and the Limerick Lads.
    You can see why they did it. It would be more like if in Ireland they had put inter county teams which would have been forced together entities never have played before/no history but even then irish could get behind it.
    Welsh had to concentrate identity on some of the teams as there simply isnt the regions to use to create teams over there.

Thought Premier Sports couldn't be watched here? Or is that only when the matches they have are on TG4 or EirSport? Or did I imagine that?

Glasgow 24-7 up after 30

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

My understanding is that the vast majority of the Welsh population live in the bottom right corner of the country.

When you look at the clubs that used to compete in old HEC (Caerphilly, Bridgend, Pontypool, Pontypridd, Newport, Swansea, Neath, Cardiff) they're all from that area too. Ebbw Vale was the most Northern of teams in Wales in the Celtic League but even they were only 40 or 50km from Cardiff and less from Newport.

So it's different than Ireland where back in the AIL days you had clubs from Leinster, Ulster, and Munster competing at the top end of the league. With Galwegians and Buccaneers in the mix too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thought Premier Sports couldn't be watched here? Or is that only when the matches they have are on TG4 or EirSport? Or did I imagine that?

Premier is Eir Sports 2.

• Advertisement

Grigg going well, if imagine Townsend will want him hooked shortly into the second half.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    My understanding is that the vast majority of the Welsh population live in the bottom right corner of the country.

When you look at the clubs that used to compete in old HEC (Caerphilly, Bridgend, Pontypool, Pontypridd, Newport, Swansea, Neath, Cardiff) they're all from that area too. Ebbw Vale was the most Northern of teams in Wales in the Celtic League but even they were only 40 or 50km from Cardiff and less from Newport.

So it's different than Ireland where back in the AIL days you had clubs from Leinster, Ulster, and Munster competing at the top end of the league. With Galwegians and Buccaneers in the mix too.
    Yeah pretty much. All welsh pro teams are playing in area size about half that of Munster.
    Yeah majority of population are in south east bar corner at top around wrexham and thats all soccer up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Yeah pretty much. All welsh pro teams are playing in area size about half that of Munster.
    Yeah majority of population are in south east bar corner at top around wrexham and thats all soccer up there.
    You could go Newport -> Cardiff -> Swansea -> Llanelli in nearly the same time it takes me to go from Cork to Thomond Park (albeit no motorway)

Premier is Eir Sports 2.

Ah really? Thought it was just that streaming service..

Bit of a comeback on here
    Cardiff 22 - 24 Glasgow

If Cardiff pull this off it would be a terrible result for Connacht.

If Cardiff pull this off it would be a terrible result for Connacht.

And a good result for Munster.

And a good result for Munster.

Indeed but the way things have gone, I think Munster are going to top the pool comfortably enough. Glasgow have fallen away since the autumn and still have to go to Limerick.

But Cardiff getting a win here (and potentially a 5 pointer) could have a huge impact for Connacht.

Indeed but the way things have gone, I think Munster are going to top the pool comfortably enough. Glasgow have fallen away since the autumn and still have to go to Limerick.

But Cardiff getting a win here (and potentially a 5 pointer) could have a huge impact for Connacht.

Glasgow have already played in Limerick.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45985794

Munster were beaten in Glasgow in September.

Glasgow should get an absolute flogging for taking their foot off the gas in the second half

• Advertisement

Cardiff lucky to just give away a try and not lose a man there

Oh that's not ideal at all. Glasgow have looked fantastic on occasion tonight.

Glasgow have already played in Limerick.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45985794

Munster were beaten in Glasgow in September.

Well shut my mouth. BP try for Glasgow.

Munster are f*cked.

Oh that's not ideal at all. Glasgow have looked fantastic on occasion tonight.

And another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tank u Glasgae

Well shut my mouth. BP try for Glasgow.

Munster are f*cked.

Luv u Buer.

Bit of a comeback on here
    Cardiff 22 - 24 Glasgow
    Didn't last long................

Cardiff get a TBP. That could be big come May.

Absolutely mad finish!

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ.

This game is the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

Advertisement