Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looks like the rumours of proposal of the Pro14 adding 2 SA team won't happen

https://twitter.com/SuperRugby/status/1108927928996265985

Not neccessarily. The rumour was that two more teams (Griguas and Pumas) would be brought up to Super rugby/Pro14 level, leaving SA with 8 franchises. 4 in each league. That statement names no teams other than the Jaguares. It just says 4 SA teams. Now that doesn't mean that we're going to Pro16, but it doesn't rule it out either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not neccessarily. The rumour was that two more teams (Griguas and Pumas) would be brought up to Super rugby/Pro14 level, leaving SA with 8 franchises. 4 in each league. That statement names no teams other than the Jaguares. It just says 4 SA teams. Now that doesn't mean that we're going to Pro16, but it doesn't rule it out either.

Sure it's too early to be even mentioning things like that, of course it'll be left until the very last minute and completely squashed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sure it's too early to be even mentioning things like that, of course it'll be left until the very last minute and completely squashed in.

Hadn't head that proposal so was gonna say would be surprised if it happened in the next season or 2 but judging by how it happened last time who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭PMC83

If it does end up being the Griguas and Pumas its a bit of a nightmare for the PRO14 in my opinion. Neither team would bring much to the league, if compared to a decent sa super rugby side like the sharks or bulls.

Basically we would be adding two division two teams to pad out the league out.

Bring Georgia in all day. If its pretty much the Georgia national team with a few stars tacked on, then great. Its worked well for the Jaguars in super rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Well the 'Top 4' SA teams moving to the Pro14 is dead anyway. Pity.

As for the Pumas and Griquas, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’d imagine the word got out about SA looking north again so as to put pressure on the other SANZAAR unions to play ball in the SR negotiations.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

molloyjh wrote: »
    I’d imagine the word got out about SA looking north again so as to put pressure on the other SANZAAR unions to play ball in the SR negotiations.

in a nutshell......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

They....they...used us

I feel so dirty

Cardiff leading 17-0. They are using all their Welsh players, Scarlets are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Scarlets need to be put out of their misery. Just not by Cardiff tonight.

• Advertisement

Scarlets need to be put out of their misery. Just not by Cardiff tonight.

Scarlets are still well in contention even if they're hockeyed tonight. Their run-in is very easy.

24-0 now, three tries

Mata is some big man

31-0, yikes. BP in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hate Scarlets and your stupid Enzo's Homes-ridden jerseys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Scarlets seem to have morphed into the Ospreys tonight

Going into tomorrow and a likely five pointer for Ulster:

Benetton (50): Leinster (A), Munster (H), Zebre (A)

Ulster (49): Kings (H), HCC QF, Glasgow (A), Edinburgh (A), Possible HCC SF, Leinster (H)

Edinburgh (47): HCC QF, Scarlets (A), Ulster (H), Possible HCC SF, Glasgow (A)

Scarlets (45): Edinburgh (H), Zebre (H), Dragons (A)

Simon usually criticises the pro14 for stars not playing enough games, especially Irish players

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1109211129799208961?s=19

Going into tomorrow and a likely five pointer for Ulster:

Ulster (49): Kings (H), HCC QF, Glasgow (A), Edinburgh (A), Possible HCC SF, Leinster (H)

Chance for Ulster to come 2nd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

3.1.4 The positions of the Clubs in the Conference Stage will be based on the following, in order:

(a) the number of League Points awarded to each Club;

(b) if unresolved, the number of Matches won by each Club in the League Stage;

Treviso and Ulster have won 10 each and Edinburgh and Lanelli 9 each.

Considering Treviso are a full 5 points ahead of Lanelli this rule could be very valuable to Treviso.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Treviso and Ulster have won 10 each and Edinburgh and Lanelli 9 each.

Considering Treviso are a full 5 points ahead of Lanelli this rule could be very valuable to Treviso.

Surely if Scarlets get level with Treviso that will require them getting one more win than Treviso in the remaining games and therefore putting them on same amount of wins?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah well, like, that's just your opinion man!

Ospreys 7 -17 dragons. Dragons have had about 20% possession. Two intercepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dragons leading the Ospreys 7-17 at halftime in Swansea. Maybe the WRU had the right idea getting rid of Osprey’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ospreys get the BP win thanks to four tries by Dan Evans.

Just about keeps Ospreys in the hunt for fourth place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ospreys win 29-20. Never think the dragons are going to win, regardless of the margins lads.

Ulster (54): HCC QF, Glasgow (A), Edinburgh (A), Possible HCC SF, Leinster (H)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Quick question on the 7th Champions Cup spot from Pro 14.

Was there talk at some stage that the 4th v 4th playoff is dropped in a world cup year? Or am I imagining things?

I'm almost sure I read that somewhere earlier in the season, but can't find any reference to it now ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

For any Saffers on this thread I see there is a group of expat SA Cheetahs fans living in Ireland who meet up for the provincial games against the Cheetahs.
    http://www.fscheetahs.co.za/news/join-the-cheetahs-family-in-ireland-20190314

21-12 in Glasgow

• Advertisement

21-12 in Glasgow

Much prefer to watch this game - up and down the field, both attacking and offloading. Watching Munster is painful. No wonder crowds are small.

Glasgow (66): HCC QF, Ulster (H), Leinster (A), Possible HCC SF, Edinburgh (H)

Munster (63): HCC QF, Cardiff (H), Benetton (A), Possible HCC SF, Connacht (H)

Cardiff (52): Munster (A), Connacht (A), Ospreys (H)

Connacht (52): ECC QF, Zebre (A), Cardiff (H), Possible ECC SF, Munster (A)

Ospreys (44): Cheetahs (A), Kings (A), Cardiff (A)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Much prefer to watch this game - up and down the field, both attacking and offloading. Watching Munster is painful. No wonder crowds are small.

And yet crowds are still bigger than in the RDS and ravenhill?..
    But yes Thomond gets small crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Munster are bit like some of Super rugby sides. Stadium far too big for too many games.
    Was working in ground this evening. Kick off time was never going to work for regular pro14 game. always going to be smaller crowd when game ends 10pm ish type of rugby munster play has little to do with crowds going to games.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    And yet crowds are still bigger than in the RDS and ravenhill?..
    But yes Thomond gets small crowds.

I think you need to check your facts there as you’re wrong on both counts.

Leinster's average attendance last season was higher (Pro14: 10,115 vs. 7,854) but that includes the Aviva game vs. Munster where the 40-45k attendance would bump up the average. Munster's average also takes a hit with the Cork games.

Edit: I'm guessing the above amounts refer to supporters through the turnstiles and not the misleading "attendance" that the provinces like to announce.

Edit: I'm guessing the above amounts refer to supporters through the turnstiles and not the misleading "attendance" that the provinces like to announce.

I don't think so. They include season ticket holders so the real attendance could be a few thousand less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't think so. They include season ticket holders so the real attendance could be a few thousand less.

No they don't. The registered attendance at the Cheetahs match in the RDS recently was less than the total number of season ticket holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

type of rugby munster play has little to do with crowds going to games.

That's always been the way.

There was some quote from PO'C on the Munsterfans website a few years ago along the lines that Munster supporters didn't go to Thomond Park to be entertained, because that wasn't what Munster rugby was about.

(I'd love to be reminded of the actual quotation if someone can dig it up.)

I assume that’s what he’s referring to and adjusting for because Leinster official is 17,881 while Ulsters is 13,290 and Munsters is 13,006. Those figures include season ticket holders and also the Munster game in the Aviva which probably distorts Leinster figure by about 2,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Leinster attendances should always be higher given population concentration around Dublin. If they weren't there would be something seriously wrong with Leinster rugby.

Dublin metropolitan area has a population 4 times higher than Cork and Limerick combined leaving aside the 90 minute spin from Cork city to Thomond Park.

Leinster attendances should always be higher given population concentration around Dublin. If they weren't there would be something seriously wrong with Leinster rugby.

Dublin metropolitan area has a population 4 times higher than Cork and Limerick combined leaving aside the 90 minute spin from Cork city to Thomond Park.

Don’t think overall population is as relevant. However given the amount of rugby clubs in Dublin and the playing population they definitely should. Mind you winning makes a big difference too, I doubt attendances were anywhere near as high during the MOC years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

stephen_n wrote: »
    Don’t think overall population is as relevant. However given the amount of rugby clubs in Dublin and the playing population they definitely should. Mind you winning makes a big difference too, I doubt attendances were anywhere near as high during the MOC years.
    Overall populations is very relevant in terms of walk ups/casual attendees

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Don’t think overall population is as relevant.

Why not?

aloooof wrote: »
    Why not?
    Overall populations is very relevant in terms of walk ups/casual attendees

How many people walk up to a rugby game with no previous interest? Of course it’s relevant but just not as relevant as the playing populations, which provide a much more solid base of support I’d imagine. More people does not definitely mean more interest in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sorry Stephen but that makes no sense to me.
    Greater population increases the chances of the number of attendees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Edinburgh announcing up to 5 new signings today.
    Willemse, the King's hooker is the second one announced. That's a cracking signing.

Ugh we are cutting our noses off to spite our face if other Pro14 teams continue to raid the Kings and Cheetahs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

How many people walk up to a rugby game with no previous interest?

Why are you assuming "walk ups" have no previous interest? I'd actually go with they have an interest in rugby but only attend if the game suits their timings, decent fixture, an occasion, etc.

I know a lot of fans that prefer to watch at home as they get to see more than one match live whereas if they go to a match they lose out on the TV matches.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Why are you assuming "walk ups" have no previous interest? I'd actually go with they have an interest in rugby but only attend if the game suits their timings, decent fixture, an occasion, etc.

I know a lot of fans that prefer to watch at home as they get to see more than one match live whereas if they go to a match they lose out on the TV matches.

By walk up’s I assumed he meant people who don’t go to rugby matches, not non season ticket holding supporters who go to occasional games. Maybe I’m wrong?

I just think that the amount of rugby playing schools and rugby clubs is a far bigger influence than overall population. Especially since Dublin is hugely multicultural and a lot of those nationalities would not have a clue what rugby was.

Advertisement