Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Scarlets make a balls of a drop goal attempt. 30 metres from the posts but Dragons weren't threatening at the ruck for fear of giving away a penalty. Rushed it far too much.

Funny moment when the commentator thought Patchell made the kick and Scarlets won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Fair play to Dragons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

My bad, the Scarlets can still squeeze through if both Benetton get nothing from their game and Edinburgh lose

bilston wrote: »
    Tight finish.

Well done to the Dragons. They deserved that.

But now confirmed, no Welsh team in the Play Offs. That's a disgrace when you consider their national team won the Grand Slam this season.
    Actually they're in 3rd as we speak, but even a losing bonus point for Benetton will move them from that spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Dragons not exactly helping out their compatriots there.. Though if Treviso win it's probably all the one, unless Edinburgh win too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Is there any legal way of watching Treviso vs Zebre??

Be a brilliant achievement by Benetton to make playoffs and reach Heineken Cup next year.

freesports

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bilston wrote: »
    Tight finish.

Well done to the Dragons. They deserved that.

But now confirmed, no Welsh team in the Play Offs. That's a disgrace when you consider their national team won the Grand Slam this season.

Cardiff or Ospreys will be in the play off from Conference A.

Cardiff or Ospreys will be in the play off from Conference A.
    I think he was talking about Pro14 playoffs (knock outs)

Benetton with 2 tries and a 12-6 lead at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Treviso get the TBP so Scarlets are out.

Barring a miraculous comeback from Zebre, Treviso should get the 3rd spot in conference B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Benetton are on 57 points, so guaranteed third I think. I say I think, because the official website has them on 56 which would mean Edinburgh could still catch them?

Benetton are on 57 points, so guaranteed third I think. I say I think, because the official website has them on 56 which would mean Edinburgh could still catch them?
    Site is wrong, Benetton started the day in 52 points and should now be on 57 if they got the try bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Site is wrong, Benetton started the day in 52 points and should now be on 57

That's poor really.

A 4-2 or 5-2 to Glasgow in match points in the Glasgow v Edinburgh game would now do the job for both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

is that the first time an Italian team has qualified ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For the knock outs? Yeah - also first qualification for Europe "on merit" also.

I was actually quite surprised Treviso lost at home to Munster. Don't think they have much of a hope away but great to see them there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

thebaz wrote: »
    is that the first time an Italian team has qualified ??

Yep, sure is! Delighted for them.

https://twitter.com/ianmck7/status/1122263013644435456?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yep, sure is! Delighted for them.

me too, as a long time critic of Italian rugby , delighted for them , and McKinley especially, hopefully they push on like Connacht did a few years ago - be good for overall tournament.

Kings letting go of 20 players. Presume they will have to take a similar number in but still not sure how that's sustainable long term

Eod100 wrote: »
    Kings letting go of 20 players. Presume they will have to take a similar number in but still not sure how that's sustainable long term

New owners with money behind them. They've obviously got players lined up to improve the squad (and possibly players on loan from Toulon). I doubt it's something they plan to do every season, so it doesn't need to be long term sustainable if it's a once off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm kinda surprised to hear they're letting so many go, I mean they did have a 100% improvement on their win rate from last season

• Advertisement

New owners with money behind them. They've obviously got players lined up to improve the squad (and possibly players on loan from Toulon). I doubt it's something they plan to do every season, so it doesn't need to be long term sustainable if it's a once off.

Has happened last few years too it looks like. https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/1122827979602763776?s=19

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

catrakilis would be great signing if they can get him..... and hopeful this toulon deal will give them some better quality players too... but in teh main it appears they are to be a nursery club

Has happened last few years too it looks like. https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/1122827979602763776?s=19

Again. They are now under new ownership and finally have a bit of money (and hopefully stability) behind them. The signing of Jerry Sexton on a 3 year deal tells you that they're no longer planning season to season after a few years of chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

SA Rugby announced that the provinces' squads would be capped at 45 players. This mass release is related to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1123159224366829569

D5ZC4k4W0AAzMOk.png

No Joy Neville and we have Ben Whitehouse - I suppose the knock out games being stacked with Irish Teams leads to neutral rather than good refs being appointed

Silly q, why does Pro14 publish that list? To show who was eligible to be picked? Presumably someone else will get the final then?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i didnt realise Andrew Brace was IRFU.

i rate him as an up and coming.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i didnt realise Andrew Brace was IRFU.

i rate him as an up and coming.

He's Limerick based. Played for Old Crescent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Silly q, why does Pro14 publish that list? To show who was eligible to be picked? Presumably someone else will get the final then?

These are the referee's for the 'final series'
    so one of them will get the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

bennyl10 wrote: »

That would be my understanding too

I'm going for a Munster win over Glasgow in the final.

24-13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm going for a Munster win over Glasgow in the final.

24-13.

Are they running a Plate this year?

Ah yeah, and guess another 2 will ref the semis too. just wasn't sure why they would name whole panel with only handful selected

Are they running a Plate this year?

Nah, I just think Munster will be too desperate in the RDS. They'll want it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Nah, I just think Munster will be too desperate in the RDS. They'll want it more.

Can't see them a beating us in the RDS if we field a decent team

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »

Munster have beaten Leinster once away from home in 10 years and that was during Leinster's worst season in that period. Obviously possible, but would be very surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Synode wrote: »

Only lost by a point last year,
    Weren’t far off in the Aviva
    Won in thomond

There’s not much in the Munster Leinster derby at the minute at all

Only lost by a point last year,
    Weren’t far off in the Aviva
    Won in thomond

There’s not much in the Munster Leinster derby at the minute at all

Except for the results :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

From a poster on Planet Rugby:

Average age of the starting back three for the Pro 14 quarter-finalists this weekend:

Benetton - 28y 193d
    Munster - 28d 31d
    Connacht - 27y 97d
    Ulster - 21y 203d

I heard that last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Average age of the starting back three for the Pro 14 quarter-finalists this weekend:

Benetton - 28y 193d
    Munster - 28d 31d
    Connacht - 27y 97d
    Ulster - 21y 203d

What kind of parents would sign off on that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

What kind of parents would sign off on that? :D

Get 'em hooked young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Benetton - 28y 193d
    Munster - 28d 31d
    Connacht - 27y 97d
    Ulster - 21y 203d

4 weeks of pashun is all we need down here!

I heard that last year.

And the gap between the teams has been closed since then.

And the gap between the teams has been closed since then.

Maybe, maybe not. Munster played very poorly against Edinburgh and Saracens so arguably they've not made any significant ground on Leinster.

But the 'hunger' card means nothing. They're professionals and always want to win. Last year they were intensely fired up last year to immediately dethrone the European champions. And didn't.

If Leinster win next weekend, they'll be rolling in in incredible form. If they lose, they'll, to use your suggestion, be hungry to win some silverware.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Maybe, maybe not. Munster played very poorly against Edinburgh and Saracens so arguably they've not made any significant ground on Leinster.

But the 'hunger' card means nothing. They're professionals and always want to win. Last year they were intensely fired up last year to immediately dethrone the European champions. And didn't.

If Leinster win next weekend, they'll be rolling in in incredible form. If they lose, they'll, to use your suggestion, be hungry to win some silverware.

Leaving hunger aside, you're overlooking changes in personnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2019/05/03/stars-ready-to-be-honoured-at-guinness-pro14-awards/

Bit surprised by the player of the year nominees. From a Connacht point of view surprised Carty or Farrell didnt get a mention

aloooof wrote: »
    Leaving hunger aside, you're overlooking changes in personnel.

They have absolutely contributed to the equation and injuries will as well. If Carbery doesn't make it, that's a massive loss. Similarly, if a key Leinster player goes down it could spell trouble for them.

Form is more key and as I said in the last two games, Munster scraped past a poor Edinburgh and were demolished by Sarries. Leinster also scraped by Ulster thanks to a very lucky break but Ulster were good that day. And they then beat Toulouse handily. They're in good form.

Granted, Munster were away but their attack was listless and they looked like a team that's not at the top table of three or four teams in Europe.

I'm not saying that Leinster will absolutely win but hunger is a silly thing to claim will be a deciding factor.

Also. Munster have to beat Benetton first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

They have absolutely contributed to the equation and injuries will as well. If Carbery doesn't make it, that's a massive loss. Similarly, if a key Leinster player goes down it could spell trouble for them.

Carbery would be a massive loss to Munster. But specifically, we were discussing the gap between the teams being closer than last year. So you can add Carbery being a loss to Leinster into that equation too.

Add in Nordi and Nacewa and I don't think it's too far off to say Munster's squad is improved while Leinster's squad has weakened, versus what they both had at their disposal last year.
    Form is more key and as I said in the last two games, Munster scraped past a poor Edinburgh and were demolished by Sarries. Leinster also scraped by Ulster thanks to a very lucky break but Ulster were good that day. And they then beat Toulouse handily. They're in good form.

Granted, Munster were away but their attack was listless and they looked like a team that's not at the top table of three or four teams in Europe. .

No one is saying that Leinster won't be favourites.
    I'm not saying that Leinster will absolutely win but hunger is a silly thing to claim will be a deciding factor.

I literally said "leaving hunger aside". (Fair enough if you're directing this at the other poster, but your post is specifically a reply to me).
    Also. Munster have to beat Benetton first.

Yes, Munster still have to go out and get the job done, but they have taken 47 from a possible 50 points at home this season. They are 15 point favourites for a reason.

Carbery would be a massive loss to Munster. But specifically, we were discussing the gap between the teams being closer than last year. So you can add Carbery being a loss to Leinster into that equation too.

Add in Nordi and Nacewa and I don't think it's too far off to say Munster's squad is improved while Leinster's squad has weakened, versus what they both had at their disposal last year.

Absolutely, losing those three players has reduced the overall quality. I agree that the squads are closer, impossible to argue otherwise given the squad changes although a James Lowe start would be an improvement on the total net loss with who has left. Bear in mind, Munsters squad improvements have been massively reduced with Zebo gone and they've found nobody nearly as good as him. I still think Leinster have the better squad though. Doesn't mean they'll win of course :)
    No one is saying that Leinster won't be favourites.

Someone quite literally said that Munster would be favourites to win in their mind because of 'hunger' which is where my post originated.
    I literally said "leaving hunger aside". (Fair enough if you're directing this at the other poster, but your post is specifically a reply to me).

It was.
    Yes, Munster still have to go out and get the job done, but they have taken 47 from a possible 50 points at home this season. They are 15 point favourites for a reason.

For sure. It was more tongue in cheek really. Massively unlikely but its not impossible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement