Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Comments

BRILLIANT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Edinburgh get a yellow card and Benetton punish. Edinburgh 31-30 Benetton (McGinley missed conversion). Benetton's 5th try. 73 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ah Ian. Damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

BRILLIANT!

Leicester Tigers agree ;)

Benetton openside just got what I think was an extremely nasty arm injury. Arm caught and wrangled in the breakdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Cardiff won 24 - 21. Not a great standard.
    Is anyone else's eir stream pausing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Synode wrote: »
    McGinley missed conversion

Tough making him kick after a long day in the Sky Sports commentary box

That's a nervous knew AR. Owens was clearly coaching him earlier in the game at one or two line outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I didn't watch it but that's a good result for Benetton. More points on the road in a game they could have won. They look legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Great game. A better kicking display and Benetton would have had five points but two LBPs from Edinburgh is not bad.

• Advertisement

I didn't watch it but that's a good result for Benetton. More points on the road in a game they could have won. They look legit.

They will probably lose a few players during the international window but have a lot of lads that wouldn't be Italy eligible so it could be a decent season for them. In fairness Kieran Crowley has shown himself to be a very decent coach with an emphasis on offloading, so the players coming in will be skilled up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Decent atmosphere in Murrayfield for a change, treviso incredibly unlucky not to win, much the better side in the second half. Edinburgh struck well off set pieces and scored their second try off one but didn’t do much after that. That try in the corner was something else though NFL style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just thinking of a potential scenario that could occur in the Pro 14 due to the conference system.

It's the last game of the season, Ulster from Conference B are playing Munster from Conference A. Ulster are 6 points up, it's the last minute of the game, Ulster are awarded a kickable penalty. If they knock it over they deny Munster a LBP and Munster finish 4th in their conference. If they kick it out, Munster get a LBP and finish 3rd.

What should Ulster? In the interests of the integrity of the competition should they take the points? Or would they bother given it has no impact on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bilston wrote: »
    Just thinking of a potential scenario that could occur in the Pro 14 due to the conference system.

It's the last game of the season, Ulster from Conference B are playing Munster from Conference A. Ulster are 6 points up, it's the last minute of the game, Ulster are awarded a kickable penalty. If they knock it over they deny Munster a LBP and Munster finish 4th in their conference. If they kick it out, Munster get a LBP and finish 3rd.

What should Ulster? In the interests of the integrity of the competition should they take the points? Or would they bother given it has no impact on them?

Well integrity says they should knock it over as you should always try to win by the most you can but reality might be very different.
    In your scenario Munster have got themselves into a mess and it’s up to them to get themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Take the points as Connacht are the team they'll be leapfrogging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I’d imagine teams would rightfully be only thinking about their own interests.
    Unless a try bonus is a must.
    Take the kick for points and guarantee a win and potentially waste down the clock.
    No matter the interests of the other team.
    It would be a disappointing move for any team to try to get another team of their country through by throwing a game or by giving a losing bonus point away.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Of course teams would never do this. I'm sure in 2013 when Toulon had already qualified for the knockout stages of the Heineken cup (having won their previous 5 games scoring 183 points) that they just accidently lost to Montpelier, who conveniently needed the win that day to qualify (with Toulon only scoring 3 points to guarantee that!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Of course teams would never do this. I'm sure in 2013 when Toulon had already qualified for the knockout stages of the Heineken cup (having won their previous 5 games scoring 183 points) that they just accidently lost to Montpelier, who conveniently needed the win that day to qualify (with Toulon only scoring 3 points to guarantee that!).

There was another Toulon game a year or two ago, perhaps v Saracens away where they needed an LBP and Sarries needed a win. Finished 10-3 as one of the most boring games I've ever seen.

But the op scenario is different. Provincial revenue is one pool AFAIK, and then redistributed. So Ulster directly benefit from Munster playing in the Champions cup, becuase its a huge revenue earner. There is no suggestion that the players on the pitch are involved in any type of match fixing. But IRFU rotation around Christmas has often felt very match fixy to me.

BP wins for Scarlets and Glasgow tonight.

• Advertisement

What can be done about the crap away teams being fielded?
    It's getting beyond a joke and what's the point of going/watching.

Who did Ulster omit that was available though.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Who did Ulster omit that was available though.

It's not so much Ulster.
    Munster are smashing it at home but away?

Ospreys in Cork snd there were a few others

It's not so much Ulster.

Munster fielded a strong team against Cardiff. They were just beaten out the gate.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Don't underestimate home advantage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's not so much Ulster.

Yesterday in the Premiership Wasps sent the second string to Sarries and conceded 50. Top 14 teams do it regularly too. Despite the noise it's not unique to the Pro 14.

Ulster are decimated by injuries and had their strongest available team out.

Last week against Cardiff Munster had their strongest available team out, but didn't turn up.

• Advertisement

Nothing will happen or should happen unless the number of game weekends is cut. The very same is done in the Premiership and Top14. In France teams regularly name second string sides for away games (see Toulon's lineup this weekend).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Yup that Leinster team was 'crap'. Ulster are devastated by injurys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Weak teams or not games are becoming too high scoring, I gave up on Super Rugby a few years ago because of the 70-80 points a game being scored. For me it devalues the contest and I might as well just watch League

I’d love a 12-6 arm wrestle of a game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Weak teams or not games are becoming too high scoring, I gave up on Super Rugby a few years ago because of the 70-80 points a game being scored. For me it devalues the contest and I might as well just watch League

Well then you are an the opposite side of the argument with world rugby. Who are doing everything they can to encourage tries and high scoring games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Boscoirl wrote: »

How do you change things though. I like 12-6 arm wrestles but unless weather is crap you wont see those sort of games any more.
    I dont see how high scoring games devalue the contest. Theyre almost more of a contest in some ways.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Explains why Zebre have been losing so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

It's not so much Ulster.

Yesterday in the Premiership Wasps sent the second string to Sarries and conceded 50.
    It was Bath who did this and they are getting some flack for it. I don't think it happens that much in Premiership. Regarding Ulster they have a long injury list but nevertheless rested some frontliners and are targeting Connacht match this coming weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It was Bath who did this and they are getting some flack for it. I don't think it happens that much in Premiership. Regarding Ulster they have a long injury list but nevertheless rested some frontliners and are targeting Connacht match this coming weekend.

McCloskey was the only player rested afaik? Who else?

Steff Evans is once again lining out for Scarlets A. Something is amiss.

Steff Evans is once again lining out for Scarlets A. Something is amiss.

Is Blommetjies injured or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Pro14 survey doing the rounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is Blommetjies injured or what?

He's fullback for As

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Luca Sperandino looks a good player for Bennetton (admittedly based on 3 mins of highlights from the weekend).

Luca Sperandino looks a good player for Bennetton (admittedly based on 3 mins of highlights from the weekend).

Apparently after about 2 min and 24 seconds of that video Leicester Tigers had offered him a 3 year deal

• Advertisement

Glasgow 17-8 Zebre
    Edinburgh 23-21 Cheetahs

Both kicked off at 7:35pm.

Glasgow 17-8 Zebre
    Edinburgh 23-21 Cheetahs

Both kicked off at 7:35pm.

Both home sides are now well ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

http://www.the42.ie/pro14-referees-greg-garner-interview-4269016-Oct2018/?utm_source=shortlink

A good article on the work that goes on behind the scenes on improving the standard of refereeing in the league.

The Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) and PRO14 Rugby have announced that an agreement in principle will see the FIR become a shareholder of Celtic Rugby in the coming year.
    The agreement guarantees two Italian teams will compete in the GUINNESS PRO14 until 2023 and also gives extra funding to each side
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/42664.php#.W7zlrmhKjIU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's ideal for them.

One year to build it seems optimistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's ideal for them.

Need to get those builders into Ballsbridge after!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's ideal for them.

Its 4 demountable stands AFAIK. I'm sure I read that they're reusing the ones they used at Myreside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Seems like a very half arsed approach. Either go all in on a new permanent ground or not at all. Looks like four temporary stands made of scafold and tarps.
    Its not like there was a fear they would be tossed out of Murrayfield any time soon.

• Advertisement

Seems like a very half arsed approach. Either go all in on a new permanent ground or not at all. Looks like four temporary stands made of scafold and tarps.
    Its not like there was a fear they would be tossed out of Murrayfield any time soon.
    Its not really half arsed. They needed to get out of the main stadium and you cant go on artist impression....
    Far better to build a base on back pitches and then move up to main stadium if necessary and have training base all there than move elsewhere.

Advertisement