Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cerazette Alternatives ??

Options
  • 28-06-2018 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

So I'm on cerazette I was on yasmin and yasminelle i got awful migraines i presume its a risk of stroke so i was put on cerazette , I have constant spotting on it... it never stops. Im due back to the doctor next week so will discuss then Im just wondering if anyone has come off cerezette and onto another pill and what the doctor recommended instead of it ? The coil or the arm implant wouldn't be an option for me as Im in a new relationship and both of those are too big of a commitment for me right now plus they seem to have similar side effects as the cerazette.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So I'm on cerazette I was on yasmin and yasminelle i got awful migraines i presume its a risk of stroke so i was put on cerazette , I have constant spotting on it... it never stops. Im due back to the doctor next week so will discuss then Im just wondering if anyone has come off cerezette and onto another pill and what the doctor recommended instead of it ? The coil or the arm implant wouldn't be an option for me as Im in a new relationship and both of those are too big of a commitment for me right now plus they seem to have similar side effects as the cerazette.

I wasn't on cerazette but when I came off yasmin I asked my doctor if I could go back to mercilon which was the first pill I was ever on (they pulled it for a few years due to a scare over certain types of pill, which my pharmacist told me was really about new pills being more expensive and the only way to push them was to get rid of the older cheaper ones).

I love mercilon, never had a side effect, went on it at 18, now on it at 41. Cheap too, F recently went up a little but it's about €5 a pack

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Caranica wrote: »
    I wasn't on cerazette but when I came off yasmin I asked my doctor if I could go back to mercilon which was the first pill I was ever on (they pulled it for a few years due to a scare over certain types of pill, which my pharmacist told me was really about new pills being more expensive and the only way to push them was to get rid of the older cheaper ones).

I love mercilon, never had a side effect, went on it at 18, now on it at 41. Cheap too, F recently went up a little but it's about €5 a pack

I absolutely dread Cerazette I changed to Mercilon and found it much better. I was moved onto Marivol (which I think is just a bit more concentrated version of Mercilon) because I had a bit of spotting and I find it fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Not giving medical advice, but advising you to contact your GP and giving some general unbiased information.

There are other progesterone-only pills (POPs) but Cerazette is generally recommended as the first choice as the other POPs have shorter windows for missing the pill (3 hours as opposed to 12 for Cerazette), and thus Cerazette has a lower risk of pregnancy. You could speak to your GP about one of these especially if you are motivated to and have a good history of taking your pill at the same time everyday, but there is certainly a greater risk of failure.

If you have ever experienced a migraine with aura, it is correct that a combined pill is contraindicated for you. Azalia is a generic version of Cerazette with the same formulation (75mcg of desogestrel) so you would likely experience the same side effects.

I understand your hesitation about the coil and the implant as Long-Acting Reversible Contraceptives. The implant, certainly, has a risk of similar side effects to what you're experiencing now as it releases progesterone systemically into your body. However, if you were to consider it, the coil - either the copper coil or the progesterone-containing intra-uterine system (the Mirena coil being the most well-known and lasting up to 5 years) - do not generally carry the same side effect profile as the copper coil does not contain any hormones, and the Mirena coil only releases the progesterone into your uterus so while side effects such as spotting are possible, it's much, much less likely than the implant or the progesterone-only pill which release progesterone into your bloodstream. These are seen as commitments, but are fully reversible and could be taken out at any time by your request.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LizzeyBenett

Slow Show wrote: »
    Not giving medical advice, but advising you to contact your GP and giving some general unbiased information.

There are other progesterone-only pills (POPs) but Cerazette is generally recommended as the first choice as the other POPs have shorter windows for missing the pill (3 hours as opposed to 12 for Cerazette), and thus Cerazette has a lower risk of pregnancy. You could speak to your GP about one of these especially if you are motivated to and have a good history of taking your pill at the same time everyday, but there is certainly a greater risk of failure.

If you have ever experienced a migraine with aura, it is correct that a combined pill is contraindicated for you. Azalia is a generic version of Cerazette with the same formulation (75mcg of desogestrel) so you would likely experience the same side effects.

I understand your hesitation about the coil and the implant as Long-Acting Reversible Contraceptives. The implant, certainly, has a risk of similar side effects to what you're experiencing now as it releases progesterone systemically into your body. However, if you were to consider it, the coil - either the copper coil or the progesterone-containing intra-uterine system (the Mirena coil being the most well-known and lasting up to 5 years) - do not generally carry the same side effect profile as the copper coil does not contain any hormones, and the Mirena coil only releases the progesterone into your uterus so while side effects such as spotting are possible, it's much, much less likely than the implant or the progesterone-only pill which release progesterone into your bloodstream. These are seen as commitments, but are fully reversible and could be taken out at any time by your request.

Hope this helps!

Went back to GP trying mercilon to see how I get on fingers crossed migraines dont come back

• Advertisement
Advertisement