Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sale lengthy delay caused sale to fall through

Options
  • 28-06-2018 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi
    Our solicitor seems to have allowed a one way sale of our apartment to fall through. Sale agreed Feb and still no contract signed by cash purchaser. We were still up to 3 weeks ago finding out stuff that was being requested by the buyers solicitor. Surely every solicitor have a check list and don't need to be reminded by another solicitor that something is required. What do we do we are down cash for this that and the other and are at wits end. Will he be entitled to charge us for his lack of service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Keep him waiting for his dosh. That might soften his cough !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 16 patolocko67

Keep him waiting for his dosh. That might soften his cough !!!!

Don't think he deserves paying sale fell through 5 months with no chain cash buyer should we sue him for our loss

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Different solicitors request different things. My sister asked for it in writing from the seller (same guy built the house a few years earlier) that the house had never flooded as he claimed verbally. Sister was only a day in the house when the neighbours told her that there was 18 inches of water covering the whole ground floor. Because she had it in writing she was able to reverse the sale. Surprise, surprise revenue wouldn't refund her the stamp duty.

A good solicitor will require a lot of information. If DCC were buying the property you'd have to jump through all sorts of hoops and if could take 3 months longer to complete

• Registered Users Posts: 16 patolocko67

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Different solicitors request different things. My sister asked for it in writing from the seller (same guy built the house a few years earlier) that the house had never flooded as he claimed verbally. Sister was only a day in the house when the neighbours told her that there was 18 inches of water covering the whole ground floor. Because she had it in writing she was able to reverse the sale. Surprise, surprise revenue wouldn't refund her the stamp duty.

A good solicitor will require a lot of information. If DCC were buying the property you'd have to jump through all sorts of hoops and if could take 3 months longer to complete

Still a no fuss straight cash buyer and still looking for stuff 5 months into sale agreed am I being naive or has he let us down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Still a no fuss straight cash buyer and still looking for stuff 5 months into sale agreed am I being naive or has he let us down

If it's a no fuss buyer why are they still requesting stuff from your solicitor?

I don't know all the details. Maybe your solicitor is dragging their feet but equally it could be the other side dragging their feet. I don't think anyone here could give an educated guess without knowing all the facts.

I'm sure it's frustrating as hell from your perspective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If you are selling an apartment it is likely that there is a management company involved. The management company has to provide various documents. Some management companies are very slow and uncooperative. Some purchaser's solicitors are quite demanding, constantly finding issues. Cash pruchasers often make offers on multiple properties and then stall until a good deal comes into place and then abandon the other deals. These factors are outside of the control of the solicitor for the vendor. You should get your file from your solicitor and see exactly what happened.

Advertisement