Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Asian supermarket in Dublin 1?

Options
  • 28-06-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭

Worked in D2 for years and years and always went to Asia market on Drury Street. Have now moved jobs to one in D1 and while Drury Street isn't a million miles away, spices can be heavy so I'd prefer to get them more locally. Lots around Parnell Street but I'm looking for a recommendation for one that's clean and reasonable. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have you tried Oriental Emporium at Jervis street LUAS stop?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.buzz.ie/news/luxury-dessert-business-forced-shut-nine-dead-mice-discovered-11-closures-issued-last-month-288190

Id give the one linked a miss anyway!

The jervis one is good, super asia foods on capel st is smaller but has a decent selection, and a nice in shop restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Looking like Jervis is my best bet so thanks

Went up there at lunchtime today. Looks like I'll be hopping on the luas and heading towards Drury Street next time. Selection of spices and herbs is much smaller than Asia Market and much smaller packs. It's clean and the staff are friendly and the in shop cafe smells amazing but I didn't get everything on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Asian Food Co on Mary Street has a large spice selection, or did last time I was there ... it's been a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Asia Market deliver if that helps... https://www.asiamarket.ie/delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

If you include the British definition of 'Asian', I usually see one or two foreigners parked outside Nimra Asian Foods on Parnell Street, opposite the Luas stop, and buying stuff there. I think it must be good, or cheap, or have a good selection, for people to bother driving to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

How come being clean is a requirement when asking

Shocking that a lot of these shops are filthy , are they exempt from food hygiene laws over here?

How come being clean is a requirement when asking

Shocking that a lot of these shops are filthy , are they exempt from food hygiene laws over here?

Being clean is a requirement because a lot of them don't feel that way and a search on the fsa website shows that many such establishments around the country failed hygiene inspections.

In the city centre space is at a premium so clean storage/stock rooms are important but hidden from sight. I remember one when I lived in the UK where bags of rice were being stored on the floor and were accessed by insects and rodents. It's why I'm so cautious now.

Advertisement