Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near miss over Shannon area on Thursday?

Options
  • 28-06-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Was there a near miss over the Shannon region on this Thursday afternoon.Just before 5.00 pm , a Ryanair plane ,Tenerife to Knock which was running over 5 hours late had a similar size plane flash past its flight path.This was seen by many passengers on the Knock bound plane but strangely enough there was no mention of it from the Ryanair crew who were busy selling perfume at the time!
    Is there a way to find out how close the plane was and what ,if anything ,can be done about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

If it is today, I replayed FR24, I have Ryanair Flight FR1325 from Tenerife To Knock as RYR198V, over the Shannon area, to the east of Shannon over Tipperary she was at an altitude of 35,150 headed north to Knock, at this time headed from east to west was Lufthansa Flight LH426 from Frankfurt to Philadelphia as DLH426, that aircraft was at an Altitude of 33,975.

So its about 1,000ft between them, perfectly normal if I am correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

ethical wrote: »
    Was there a near miss over the Shannon region on this Thursday afternoon.Just before 5.00 pm , a Ryanair plane ,Tenerife to Knock which was running over 5 hours late had a similar size plane flash past its flight path.This was seen by many passengers on the Knock bound plane but strangely enough there was no mention of it from the Ryanair crew who were busy selling perfume at the time!
    Is there a way to find out how close the plane was and what ,if anything ,can be done about it?

Were you on the flight? Do you know whereabouts the flight when this is supposed to have happened?

Watching the playback on Flightradar from abeam Land's End on, I see the flight cross a few others: a couple 1000ft below, one 2000ft below and another 4000ft below.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Yes I was on the flight and saw the "other" plane (as did many others) and we thought it was quite close.I reckon it happened somewher north of Cork/Tipperary and heading over Shannon towards Knock.The Knock flight would not normally have been in the air at this time but due to a huge delay it was there! Whether the other plane would have been there normally I do not know.Some people chatted about it after reaching Knock and were a bit shaken ....after all these same people,myself included,were on the go since 4:30 am this morning and then Ryanair said their plane was in Edinburgh!!!!! but thats another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I remember flying Dublin to Sarajevo a couple of years ago and seeing a swiss air plane flash by below .....Scared the bajaysis out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's easy to think you're alot closer to something when you've nothing to gauge distance.

The Knock flight would not normally have been in the air at this time but due to a huge delay it was there! Whether the other plane would have been there normally I do not know

That’s not how flights are kept apart so wouldn’t have any bearing.

Presumably your flight was descending at that stage, the cabin crew were still selling though?

What angle did the other plane appear to cross your path at?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Cabin Crew on flights are not required to be looking out the windows for possible collisions. The flight crew up front have a warning system should another aircraft be headed their way and, if in danger, it will instruct them to climb or descend and the other aircraft, similarly equipped, will be told to do the opposite.

In addition to that ATC will have been monitoring and instructing all aircraft in your vicinity.

If your flight had been in any danger you would have felt the sudden movement of your aircraft to get out of the way.

I hope you never have to fly into London Heathrow where you will see lots of other planes all around you!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If there was an actual near miss, you'd hear about it (and likely feel the rapid change in altitude forced by TCAS). Anything passengers saw was well within the actual limits.

• Advertisement

Psychlops wrote: »
    If it is today, I replayed FR24, I have Ryanair Flight FR1325 from Tenerife To Knock as RYR198V, over the Shannon area, to the east of Shannon over Tipperary she was at an altitude of 35,150 headed north to Knock, at this time headed from east to west was Lufthansa Flight LH426 from Frankfurt to Philadelphia as DLH426, that aircraft was at an Altitude of 33,975.

So its about 1,000ft between them, perfectly normal if I am correct.

Missed this while I was asking questions: that's what I reckon as well.
    The Ryanair descends from FL380 down to FL350 until clear of the Lufthansa at FL340, then continues descent.

1000ft is the required vertical separation.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

faoiarvok wrote: »
    What angle did the other plane appear to cross your path at?

Something like this perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Unless you could see the captain screaming I doubt you were as close as you thought you were
    Get the same feeling like that arriving into Dublin sometimes thinking we look really close to the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Missed this while I was asking questions: that's what I reckon as well.
    The Ryanair descends from FL380 down to FL350 until clear of the Lufthansa at FL340, then continues descent.

1000ft is the required vertical separation.

1000 ft. is around 300 yards in old money and a large airliner flying past your window at such a distance above or below, can seem very close.

When flying from Dublin to Munich last year, there was frequent opposite direction traffic at, I'm guessing, 1000 ft. separation and it looked very close, especially a couple of UAE A380s and a few B747s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

That Lufthansa flight was an A340, which is way bigger than a Ryanair. From just 1000 ft away it'll look very close. It's kinda the opposite of the Father Ted/Dougal caravan cows clip.

To answer your question, no, there was no near miss.

Advertisement