Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK case of neglect- how was it allowed to happen?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Afroshack wrote: »
    Was reading this case online today and it really fcuking disturbed me. I have so many questions! Like, how was it not a single member of the family stepped in and called a GP? Why didn’t visitors to the house question why an emanciated teenager was wearing nappies? Did nobody question the smell of the remains of the newborn? And why oh why were they allowed to “homeschool” without any checks or inspections??? I know we hear about extreme neglect concerning small kids and toddlers but extreme neglect of an 18 year old seems off, especially as his adult sister and grandmother were also there. Cases like this always astound me but there seems to be so much that’s not being said here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-44618965

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/family-dead-teenager-baby-leeds-14751369

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/jordan-burling-trial-latest-teenager-child-abuse-manslaughter-family-leeds-court-a8387806.html

TLDR: a family are on trial for neglect of an 18 year old who was found starved to death and im wondering how is that possible?

Whatever about the newborn, you can’t force an adult to eat if they refuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It wasn't simply a matter of the guy refusing to eat. From what I had read on this a few weeks back, he was treated horrendously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not reading any of that before bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Afro shack
    Baby
    Afro shack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

If a person refuses to eat you can have them sectioned. If a person has infected sores and can't m9ve because of malnutrition you can call an ambulance. He was left to waste away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I wonder how refusal to eat can later result in a neglect charge when you are 18 years of age and (presumably) a competent adult. Surely it’s very sad and tragic and there were obviously significant problems but how can this constitute neglect in the case of an able bodied adult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Afroshack wrote: »
    I wonder how refusal to eat can later result in a neglect charge when you are 18 years of age and (presumably) a competent adult. Surely it’s very sad and tragic and there were obviously significant problems but how can this constitute neglect in the case of an able bodied adult?

If someone calls you and says they've locked themselves in their room and are going to kill themselves but you should leave them alone and let them do it,are you liable for failure to inform the proper authorities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Crea wrote: »
    If a person refuses to eat you can have them sectioned. If a person has infected sores and can't m9ve because of malnutrition you can call an ambulance. He was left to waste away.

Not unless they are detainable under the mental health act, in Ireland anyway. The mother and grandmother both said he would decline medical attention and wouldn't let them call a doctor. An ambulance can't just kidnap someone that doesn't want to go with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Over here in the UK, there is almost too many organisations responsible for welfare, but this can mean that a valberable person can slip through the cracks. This usually happens when the organisations involved assume that another is responsible for the patient. Ultimately, the various privatised NHS elements only ever work 9-5, and frequently pass the burden onto school and police, whose only role is to alert these very same privatised NHS elements.

It's endemic in social care, and I hear about it all too much from my Mrs and her colleagues (teachers in secondary and primary). One of her mates has to leave for school early every day to pick up PRIMARY students and get them ready for the day, otherwise the parents will let them stay home in the squalid pits they call homes.
    People knock National Service - mandatory two years in army, navy or airforce - but I believe it was a huge source of social mobility back in the day. When I did a few years in the army, it tought valuable life skills to guys (and presumably at other boot camps, girls) and brought them out of their quagmire former lives. A lot of people over here will never learn the basic skills of washing, cleaning, working or have any respect for themselves.

Advertisement