Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To parents of children who are over weight, why can't we say anything to you?

• 28-06-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

This is a gripe I really have.

I have many friends on Facebook, lots of whom are great parents, they put up lots of photos and their kids look healthy and happy.

But......there are some who I really wish I could say something to. A woman recently put up a picture, the woman herself is over weight by a lot and is attending slimming world but the photo she put up is of her child who is 4 and must weight at least 6 stone, has clearly defined overweight features,the child is holding a fiber bar from slimming world with the caption "can't keep these away from my princess, she loves them, has good taste like her mam"

I can't stand it, the child should not be that overweight. The problem is if I or anyone was to say anything even in the slightest about the child's health we will be crucified and told to mind our own business. Children have no control over portion size or the food they eat, the need responsible intervention, they are not getting it from the parent's or to a lesser extent the schools. This child with out a doubt will grow up to be obese as the mother joins these groups for about 4 weeks and then gives up, leaving the child to basically what she eats

I wish I could say what I really feel for the child sake without sounding like a busy body, am I wrong in feeling this way?

Edit: I have kids but I'm not a health freak, my kids eat normal food and take away on occasion when their good,we over indulge too at times like any family but not to extent they are over weight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

No you are not, but everyone is equal now, so you can't have an opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

sexmag wrote: »

I have many friends on Facebook, lots of whom are great parents, they put up lots of photos and their kids look healthy and happy.

But......there are some who I really wish I could say something to. A woman recently put up a picture, the woman herself is over weight by a lot and is attending slimming world but the photo she put up is of her child who is 4 and must weight at least 6 stone, has clearly defined overweight features,the child is holding a fiber bar from slimming world with the caption "can't keep these away from my princess, she loves them, has good taste like her mam"

I can't stand it, the child should not be that overweight. The problem is if I or anyone was to say anything even in the slightest about the child's health we will be crucified and told to mind our own business. Children have no control over portion size or the food they eat, the need responsible intervention, they are not getting it from the parent's or to a lesser extent the schools. This child with out a doubt will grow up to be obese as the mother joins these groups for about 4 weeks and then gives up, leaving the child honest basically what she eats

I wish I could say what I really feel for the child sake without sounding like a busy body, am I wrong in feeling this way?

Well, you could, but then expect people tell you to fcuk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

You're not wrong. But there's nothing more self righteous than a parent.

Besides, sure you don't have kids, so you couldn't possibly understand :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

She’s not fat, she’s just big boned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

amcalester wrote: »
    She’s not fat, she’s just big boned.

You mean she's 'strong'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To a strangers kid I don't know why it's happening, I ain't going to pass comment on it as it may be something someone is struggling to handle. If it was a kid of Friends or family, I'd bring it up, but try to do so from a supportive point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cos
    it's Glandular,
    It's a side effect of the steroids they take for their asthma,
    They're just big boned....

All things I have had said to me by the parents(Well 1 parent, who browbeats the other any time a positive change is tried) of a child who at 10y.o was over 4'6" and over 10.5 stone and inhaled food.
    The only time the kid ever wheezed was when they had to look for the remote or rush to the bathroom.
    Seriously, a bout of bronchitis at 3(when the kid was already overweight) and no instance of short breath from anything other than exertion since then!
    As for food, it's sad to see the poor kid is fed as a substitute for actual attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Nobody likes a busybody, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

If OP isn't a Dietician or HCP, what can they do to 'help'?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I think the idea of you saying something suggests you have the child's interests prioritised more than the child's own parent, therefore you're contradicting their parenting, and when it comes to our own children I think the majority of us like to think we do the best for them.. however I agree its not right!

Bredabe wrote: »
    If OP isn't a Dietician or HCP, what can they do to 'help'?

Aye, there’s only a very small amount of people for whom it’s appropriate to say something. Otherwise, it’s just sticking one’s beak into something that isn’t their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

That's 2 overweight kids threads today

Is it cause the sun is out and they're all going round without jumpers and coats?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057886384

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Aye, there’s only a very small amount of people for whom it’s appropriate to say something. Otherwise, it’s just sticking one’s beak into something that isn’t their business.

If i was a doctor it would be ok for me to say it id assume.

I feel for the kid but ultimately I can't do anything, it's not like I can ring Tusla for a child being overvweight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Saying something is one thing, being able to actually get through to the parents and encouraging some form of change is something else entirely.

Even if a dr said something I'd have to guess a lot of these people will simply not take it on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Never ever underestimate how stupid a lot of people are. Half the country are digging their own graves with knives and forks as we speak.

I just can't believe the number of outright obese people around these days.:confused:

It seems over the last 20 years or so, half the population didn't care how fat they get & the other half became Gym-bunnies or are running the legs off themselves or becoming Vegan or whatever...

It's all gone to total extremes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If someone was sitting outside a pub having a pint and a cigarette, and a total stranger walked up and lectured them that drinking and smoking is seriously damaging to their health. I think we all know what most people would say or worse do to that person? Look after your own affairs and stay out of other people's imo the same way you wouldn't want someone else telling you how you should live your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Before focusing on other people's lives, maybe ask yourself why you feel the need to offer unsolicited advice in the first place? Is it really because you care, or are you merely lamenting the fact that behaving like a dick will result in people calling you one?

I feel for the kid but ultimately I can't do anything, it's not like I can ring Tusla for a child being overvweight

You may or may not be listened to, but my thinking is that someone who isn't an HCP who can be of some use about the situation, its just enforcing thinking without full knowledge on someone who does have full knowledge.

* Given the length of waiting lists, and the lack of diagnostics know how there could well be an underlying issue only a TMP can advise on correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I can't stand it, the child should not be that overweight. The problem is if I or anyone was to say anything even in the slightest about the child's health we will be crucified and told to mind our own business. Children have no control over portion size or the food they eat, the need responsible intervention, they are not getting it from the parent's or to a lesser extent the schools. This child with out a doubt will grow up to be obese as the mother joins these groups for about 4 weeks and then gives up, leaving the child to basically what she eats

Edit: I have kids but I'm not a health freak, my kids eat normal food and take away on occasion when their good,we over indulge too at times like any family but not to extent they are over weight

You seem to have uncovered new evidence about the relationship between genetics and weight - why aren't you talking to scientists instead of posting here...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Of course. Are you the child’s GP?

wexie wrote: »

Is it cause the sun is out and they're all going round without jumpers and coats?

I spotted that as well and the broad popular dietary advice was scary and it could make some conditions actually worse.

I have a friend who is naturally skinny(its a gene thing), she hates this weather as it makes her body issues worse. Harder for her to ignore more rounded 'feminine' shaped women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

bazz26 wrote: »
    If someone was sitting outside a pub having a pint and a cigarette, and a total stranger walked up and lectured them that drinking and smoking is seriously damaging to their health. I think we all know what most people would say or worse do to that person? Look after your own affairs and stay out of other people's imo the same way you wouldn't want someone else telling you how you should live your life.

I know this person well,it's not a random stranger, our children are good friends for years, it would come from a place of love for the child's well being. Not some randomner being an arse. I'd appreciate any constructive advice given to me in my life if it would obviously help and was said in the right way. Lots of people can't or won't see the effect they have on their children and it's a serious serious thing they need to realise, food is not something kids can have when they want, fried food and junk food especially, it leads to obesity and these parents would be the first to say "well no one said to me their were over weight for their age" but then it will be too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No you are not, but everyone is equal now, so you can't have an opinion

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’s your name that’s the problem. I don’t think any parent would want someone called sexmag looking at their children in any way yet alone talking about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

sexmag wrote:
    I know this person well,it's not a random stranger, our children are good friends for years, it would come from a place of love for the child's well being. Not some randomner being an arse. I'd appreciate any constructive advice given to me in my life if it would obviously help and was said in the right way. Lots of people can't or won't see the effect they have on their children and it's a serious serious thing they need to realise, food is not something kids can have when they want, fried food and junk food especially, it leads to obesity and these parents would be the first to say "well no one said to me their were over weight for their age" but then it will be too late

Would you criticise them if they smoked in the house or in the same car as the kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Two threads in the same day about overweight kids?....mmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Before focusing on other people's lives, maybe ask yourself why you feel the need to offer unsolicited advice in the first place? Is it really because you care, or are you merely lamenting the fact that behaving like a dick will result in people calling you one?

You know what they say about problems... '20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them'.. It's not your problem!

sugarman wrote: »
    I remember 20 years ago in primary school there was maybe one fat kid per class...

...yesterday a whole class of school kids walked past me on a nature walk with their teacher in the park, every single one of them was overweight with one or two being obese.

I seriously doubt they were all overweight. Or even half of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stranger or not you seem to be missing the point, the majority of people don't like it when others tell them how they think they should live or how they should be raising their children, no matter how right you think it is. It's really none of your business no matter how much you think it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

It should be someone's business if a child is obese. It's abuse.

AfterLife wrote: »

Then the relevant people should deal with it. Not Busybody McCurtain-Twitcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Recliner

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Would you criticise them if they smoked in the house or in the same car as the kids?

I'd hope they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I seriously doubt they were all overweight. Or even half of them.

You would be surprised. The school my sisters kids attend have more than half overweight kids. It’s terrible. The school my brother sends his kids has a morning routine of doing a lap around the local park because of the growing obesity issue. It’s a lot less prominent at the school my kids attend, but it’s still much higher than the 1 in 30 we had 2 decades ago.

goz83 wrote: »
    You would be surprised. The school my sisters kids attend have more than half overweight kids. It’s terrible. The school my brother sends his kids has a morning routine of doing a lap around the local park because of the growing obesity issue. It’s a lot less prominent at the school my kids attend, but it’s still much higher than the 1 in 30 we had 2 decades ago.

That poster said they were all overweight. Not believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

goz83 wrote: »

If this is correct, well there's an awful lot of stupid no brain parents out there.

Imagine letting your child get fat? Think about it.

They have a problem at 6 or 7 years old. What hope do they have for the future?

I'm a parent myself. Not perfect, mind you. In fact by modern standards..........An awld bollix really.

I say No to my kids sometimes when they want all kinds of crap.

I give them what they need (hopefully). The rest they can get when they can pay for it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

AfterLife wrote: »

Only if the parents arent doing anything to improve the child's health.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

wexie wrote: »

The pitter-patter of a herd of baby elephants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You should just post tag her in this on a daily basis til she gets the message.

beep-beep-derivery_o_750032.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭LucyIrish06

I was overweight as a kid, my mum and dad weren't together and when i spent my weekends with my dad he use to spoil me with whatever food i wanted, my mum was a chef so there was always food lying around the house during the week. I got bullied a lot in school because of my weight, i basically use to be called a man (just imagine been 12,13,14.. and this been said to you on a daily basis) it really effected me and i just cant stop feeling sorry for these overweight kids knowing that they will more than likely go through the same thing as myself and the parents dont realize that. They think its ok because they are "treating" their child, making themselves feel as if they are great parents when in fact they are just ruining their kids most vulnerable years.
    Because I was overweight for all of my childhood it scarred me in my adult life, social anxiety, low self esteem etc etc and im still trying to re-build myself.
    I really hope parents will realize this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

What if they were beating the **** out of their 4 year old? Should you mind your own business then? There's a difference between ****ing up your own life and ****ing up your kids life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I was overweight as a kid, my mum and dad weren't together and when i spent my weekends with my dad he use to spoil me with whatever food i wanted, my mum was a chef so there was always food lying around the house during the week. I got bullied a lot in school because of my weight, i basically use to be called a man (just imagine been 12,13,14.. and this been said to you on a daily basis) it really effected me and i just cant stop feeling sorry for these overweight kids knowing that they will more than likely go through the same thing as myself and the parents dont realize that. They think its ok because they are "treating" their child, making themselves feel as if they are great parents when in fact they are just ruining their kids most vulnerable years.
    Because I was overweight for all of my childhood it scarred me in my adult life, social anxiety, low self esteem etc etc and im still trying to re-build myself.
    I really hope parents will realize this.

I was overweight too. Fought hard in my teens and lost the weight. Can confirm this.

Stranger or not you seem to be missing the point, the majority of people don't like it when others tell them how they think they should live or how they should be raising their children, no matter how right you think it is. It's really none of your business no matter how much you think it.

I dunno. Doesn't seem to stop various people from commenting on other parts of peoples lives. It's just when a child is overweight that we have a taboo on speaking.

For myself, I find it to be a ridiculous taboo. This country has changed so much in the last 20 years with kids becoming obviously 'fat'. Relying on a sugar tax, isn't going to do much. Maybe it would be better to encourage society to comment on such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

This reads like a Daily Mail headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭LucyIrish06

professore wrote: »
    I was overweight too. Fought hard in my teens and lost the weight. Can confirm this.

Same, we shouldn't of had to struggle to loose the weight our parents made us put on. But unfortunately we did, we struggled but we got there in the end. It was unfair to put us through this but they didn't understand how it would effect us down the long road. Im sure if our parents would of realized the long term effects things would of been different, maybe even had a normal enough child hood (I.e, not been bullied)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

we had a kid in our after school last year was very over weight. 4.5/5 year old wearing 8 year olds clothes at start of school year then 9 yos by xmas. mother in complete denial saying kid was growing taller (unless you grow taller sideways). see the same kid at school now 5 yo and barley any neck and moobs. last week on way out of school kids were climbing up and over a railings and this kid could barely pull their feet of the ground. parents couldnt deal with the kid at home when younger so sat the kid down at home with an ipad and a big bag of crisps in the evening to shut em up. sad state of affairs but when youve parents who are so engrossed in themselves and their own life this is what happens

Try_harder wrote: »
    This reads like a Daily Mail headline.

Why? Seems like a genuinely good question to me. Why can't we comment on other parents with obese or overweight children?

If some parents were encouraging their kid to smoke cigarettes, I'd imagine plenty of people wouldn't hesitate to say something to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

sexmag wrote:

No, you're not wrong for feeling this way but, you're wrong if you open your mouth in judgement. Their lifestyle is not the same as yours and you are not living their life . But if your concern is so big why not offer to take their child to the park/playground everyday for an hour. Put your energy where your mouth is.
    Judgy parents make my head ache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

instead of making a personal comment or getting involved with the parent you could always report the childs weight issues as a child welfare concern to Tusla. Might sound a bit extreme but you dont know whats going on behind closed doors and maybe the parent is struggling themselves with out help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Parents already know when their kids are fat. Presumably they all have eyes in their heads or failing that, they hug their kids from find to time. Pointing out facts that people are busy ignoring, generally just pisses them off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement