Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do these two Pear trees need each other to pollinate ?

Options
  • 29-06-2018 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

Please see pics

One tree has lots of pears and the other one or two
    Both are approx 4 years old

Are they a good match ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you haven't found the info online yet then its here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=378 .

Yes you need two and the ones you have are in the wrong pollination groups which means they flower at different times so may not be any good for cross pollination.

Name: Doyenné du Comice AGM
    Pollination group: 4
    Season of use: late October to end of November
    Quality: Good
    Comments: Melting, juicy flesh; needs a sunny spot to fruit well; susceptible to scab.

Name: Williams’ Bon Chrétien AGM
    Pollination group: 3 (unsuitable as a pollinator Louise Bonne of Jersey and vice versa)
    Season of use: Mid September
    Quality: Good
    Comments: Musky flavour; hardy; prone to scab, may fruit on north-facing wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks. I was sold a pup ! They were bought separately but I was advised is was probably a good partner

One of them has 50 pears so I will keep that one and sell the other as the bees must be finding something suitable close by

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks. I was sold a pup ! They were bought separately but I was advised is was probably a good partner

One of them has 50 pears so I will keep that one and sell the other as the bees must be finding something suitable close by

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Why would you diagnose a pollination issue when you have a tree full of fruit?

It's absolutely fine to have trees from neighbouring pollination groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Sorry just read the question in your title..unless there's another pear tree in the vicinity yes you do need both as neither are self fertile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its possible that while they aren't ideal partners the one with little fruit is supplying the pollination for the one with all the fruit.

Take a look around the area you really need another pollinator within 100m to be effective and ideally within about 60m.

Advertisement