Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What dpi to scan?

Options
  • 29-06-2018 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭

I want to scan some 3x5 photos and bring them on a USB stick to a photo kiosk machine in a chemist to make copies. How high DPI should I pick? The scanner goes up to 4800 but that seems excessive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You won't see much/any difference if you go over 600dpi and can probably use 300dpi if you are never going to want to print them larger than the originals.

Its really down to storage space, the time it takes to scan the quality of the originals and the size you want to print them at.

Some comparisons here https://www.scanmyphotos.com/300v600dpi.php but loads more if you look around the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your scanner very likely isn't 4800 dpi, look for its optical Res and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks. I'll go with 600, but I just want same size copies with no loss of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll go with 600, but I just want same size copies with no loss of quality.

Just make sure you save them as a high quality jpeg. DPI won't matter if you save with large compression. Tiff would be the preferable way to go but you'd need to check if the photo kiosk can read that format

Advertisement