Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro 14- Tv Viewing Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Looking at the advanced schedules on the eir Sport website and it seems quite clear that in fact Irish viewers will not get all matches live, unlike the U.K.

Friday 31st night sees Cardiff v Leinster, Ospreys v Edinburgh, and Zebre v Kings kick off simultaneously. However Cardiff v Leinster is listed for eir Sport 2 (Premier Sports). “Guinness Pro14” is generically listed for eir Sport 1, but we know this will be Cardiff v Leinster too. So that’s two games not being shown live on the very first day. The Ospreys game gets a full replay at 10:00pm on eir Sport 1 and 10:15pm on eir Sport 2, while Zebre v Kings goes out at 8:30am on Saturday 1st.

Taking us then to Saturday, and Connacht v Glasgow airs on both 1&2, (2:30pm/2:45pm) followed by Munster v Cheetahs on 1 at 5:00pm while on 2 at the same time is Ulster v Scarlets. Dragons v Treviso is on Eir Sport 2 at 7:30pm; completing Round 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They'll hardly show the same games on both Eir Sport 1 and 2 at the same time.

It’s what the schedule says, and I’ve seen it done by eir Sport before so I wouldn’t put it past them. Not for rugby in this case, but for Republic of Ireland friendly soccer internationals. This was in a context where eir Sport 1 was SD and eir Sport 2 (Premier Sports) was HD. The programme was airing with Irish ads on eir Sport 1 and U.K. ads on eir Sport 2 (Premier Sports). They had previously blocked the Premier Sports transmission but relented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I mentioned it here previously that the broadcast schedule didn't show eir for all games. It seems like a bit of false advertising by eir.

Does the Premier Sports player show all games?

Looking at that walesonline article I am really looking forward to how they will present the games with an intro on each game taking place.

Are these games being covered in HD or 4k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

HD. Eir or Premier Sport do not have a 4K channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

icdg wrote: »
    Looking at the advanced schedules on the eir Sport website and it seems quite clear that in fact Irish viewers will not get all matches live, unlike the U.K.

Friday 31st night sees Cardiff v Leinster, Ospreys v Edinburgh, and Zebre v Kings kick off simultaneously. However Cardiff v Leinster is listed for eir Sport 2 (Premier Sports). “Guinness Pro14” is generically listed for eir Sport 1, but we know this will be Cardiff v Leinster too. So that’s two games not being shown live on the very first day. The Ospreys game gets a full replay at 10:00pm on eir Sport 1 and 10:15pm on eir Sport 2, while Zebre v Kings goes out at 8:30am on Saturday 1st.

Taking us then to Saturday, and Connacht v Glasgow airs on both 1&2, (2:30pm/2:45pm) followed by Munster v Cheetahs on 1 at 5:00pm while on 2 at the same time is Ulster v Scarlets. Dragons v Treviso is on Eir Sport 2 at 7:30pm; completing Round 1

The listings I have for week 1 on TV are

Cardiff v leinster TG4
    ospreys v Edi eir sport 2
    Conn v glas eir sport 2 /Tg4
    Mun V cheetahs eir sport 1
    Uls v scarlets eir sport 2/ S4c
    Dragons v Benetton eir sport 2/
    Zebre V Kings Freesports

I think the promo every game live is more by premiersports in the UK rather than eir sport here

But the crucial thing is that every game is now televised which is to be welcomed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

kub wrote: »
    Just with regard to Sky, is it possible to upgrade and get Eir channels? I know BT had some Champions Cup games last season so an upgrade got those, will that same BT channel also have the Pro 14 and Champions Cup games?

The Eir Sports pack includes BT channels and eir sport channels - I don't believe you can upgrade to BT alone

if you have BT you should be able to see Eir sport 1 and 2 also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

kooga wrote: »
    I think the promo every game live is more by premiersports in the UK rather than eir sport here

But the crucial thing is that every game is now televised which is to be welcomed

Yes Eir sport website says

"see every Pro14 game on Eir" doesn't say live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

You should live north of the border as we get Premier Sports 1and 2 as well as Eir Sports 1 on Sky epg and Eir Sports 2 under 'other channels.'

You should live north of the border as we get Premier Sports 1and 2 as well as Eir Sports 1 on Sky epg and Eir Sports 2 under 'other channels.'

• Advertisement

Eir Sports TV guides have Cardiff vs Leinster for both Eir Sports 1 and 2. Why not Ospreys vs Edinburgh as an alternative?
    See - https://www.eirsport.ie/tv-guides

Surely eir are going to show the Cardiff Leinster game live on one of their channels. I don't want to be watching on tg4's sd channel. I know they said the game would be free to view, not sure what platform that will be.

Edit: yes according to that guide the game is on both channels. Strange move - why don't they show all the games live unless they don't have the rights. They are hardly pushing the player option in Ireland with eir having most of the games.

I see the preview show is at 6pm which will go through all the games coming up.

It’s an odd one. It may be that they want Cardiff v Leinster on Premier Sports 1 as the feature game and eir have insisted that it go out on eir Sport 1.

Because of the set up, eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports 1 cannot show different programmes at the same time, on satellite anyway.

It’s an odd one. It may be that they want Cardiff v Leinster on Premier Sports 1 as the feature game and eir have insisted that it go out on eir Sport 1.

Because of the set up, eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports 1 cannot show different programmes at the same time, on satellite anyway.

I wonder will eir's app have it on one of their extra channels?

Promo on FreeSports tonight showed Ospreys v Edinburgh scheduled for Premier Sports 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

They have whacked up their Commercial fees for a company that said they would not increase their fees two years ago then and whacked up their fees massively twice only after VFI getting onto them they upped it to HD ,sods only downgraded their awful costs to so called super pubs and normal have to pay pay 1.5k per month to sky and eir , and then people wonder why pubs are expensive hmmm.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Realistically so long as eir show the Irish games live nobody is going to care if the rest aren’t live

awec wrote: »
    Realistically so long as eir show the Irish games live nobody is going to care if the rest aren’t live

There will be some (admittedly not many) who support non Irish teams just as there are those who support Irish provinces in Wales/Scotland/England. Also putting the same match on 2 channels doesn't make any sense forEir Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So when I subscribe to Premier Sports in the next week or so I will also get Eir Sports? I know it's on the EPG, but is it another subscription?

• Advertisement

On my roi box I have prem sports 1 2 in other channels- hopefully won't be geo blocked when pro14 starts

bilston wrote: »
    So when I subscribe to Premier Sports in the next week or so I will also get Eir Sports? I know it's on the EPG, but is it another subscription?

Premier Sports used not to operate in NI- Setanta Sports was still available.

When Setanta Sports in ROI was sold to eir, all customers in NI were transferred to Premier Sports. Eir Sport 1 remained available in NI as a “bonus” channel subject to the block outs of Premier League and UEFA club football (both of which eir have now lost the rights to). Eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports 1 are (almost) the same anyway.

I’m not sure if new customers signing up now get it though?

When Setanta Sports in ROI was sold to eir, all customers in NI were transferred to Premier Sports. Eir Sport 1 remained available in NI as a “bonus” channel subject to the block outs of Premier League and UEFA club football (both of which eir have now lost the rights to). Eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports 1 are (almost) the same anyway.

I am a new Premier Sport subscriber in NI and I get Premier Sport 1/ Premier Sport 2 and Eir Sport 1 on my Sky epg. I can even add Eir Sport 2 via 'other channels' but there is little point as it is a simulcast of Premier Sport as you correctly point out. If Eir Sport 1 have a different presenting team to Premier Sports for matches in Ireland that both are showing then I may watch some of these games on Eir Sport 1 to see how Tommy Bowe fares in comparison to Andrew Trimble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

One would think they could just use the extra channels for overspill games?

mollser wrote: »
    One would think they could just use the extra channels for overspill games?

To have Cardiff vs Leinster on both Eir sports 1 and 2 at the same time seems plain pointless to me as Ospreys vs Edinburgh surely could be shown on one of the channels. Whether Cardiff vs Leinster is shown on Eir Sports 2 rather than Eir Sports 1 will not matter to the viewers as long as its shown.

Well, except to Vodafone TV customers who get eir Sport 1 in their basic package - a legacy of the old days when Setanta Ireland was offered in basic cable TV packages (never the case on Sky).

• Advertisement

Just saw add on tv

Ospreys v edi is on eir sport 2 next Friday

Just saw add on tv

But is it live as Eir Sports listings I saw had it on delayed coverage after Cardiff vs Leinster?

But is it live as Eir Sports listings I saw had it on delayed coverage after Cardiff vs Leinster?

Yes 7.30 ko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just saw add on tv

Well this is rather bizarre. As I have the Eir app on my phone and it's showing live coverage of Cardiff v Leinster, Eir 1 and Eir 2.
    The Ospreys v Edinburgh match is on Eir 1 and Eir 2 following the Leinster game.

But I have known the programme guide to change from day to day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The discussion here of the coverage of the Ospreys game is going to dwarf the actual viewership.

• Advertisement

The discussion here of the coverage of the Ospreys game is going to dwarf the actual viewership.
    But it is important for Eir Sport subscribers in ROI - for this reason : If it is not covered live then how many more Pro 14 matches will also not be covered live? It also puts subscribers in ROI at a disadvantage to Premier Sports subscribers in UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

But it is important for Eir Sport subscribers in ROI - for this reason : If it is not covered live then how many more Pro 14 matches will also not be covered live? It also puts subscribers in ROI at a disadvantage to Premier Sports subscribers in UK.

As long as the provinces are covered live the vast majority of Irish fans won't really care. I rarely watch matches that don't include one of the provinces and even then I would rarely have watched all 4 in a single weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Anyone use Rugbypass?

What's it like?

Premier Sports have three channels, eir Sport have only two (one of which is effectively shared with Premier Sports). What this means is that any time three games are scheduled simultaneously, like next Friday, at least one won’t be live on eir Sport. (Doesn’t happen again until 29th September). We can take it as a given therefore that eir Sport won’t be showing all 152 matches live.

Right now the biggest game that is down to have no Irish coverage (eir/TG4) is way ahead in Round 17 and is Scarlets v Munster. Given the timing and the teams involved I’d be amazed if that isn’t eventually televised but right now it’s not down to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Anyone use Rugbypass?

What's it like?

I’ve used it in Asia and it’s fantastic. No issues watching games and there’s a playback feature too so that you can watch all games after the fact. It’s geoblocked here though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Kevski wrote: »
    I’ve used it in Asia and it’s fantastic. No issues watching games and there’s a playback feature too so that you can watch all games after the fact. It’s geoblocked here though unfortunately.

Ah yeah I travel* to Asia a bit so at least I can watch some games.

What's the commentary/ punditry like? Or is there any?

*At least my computer does...

bilston wrote: »

I'll let you know next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

There is commentary alright. They had commentary from the Australian broadcast for the Irish games in June so not sure if they normally get commentary from local broadcaster or take whatever they can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

When you consider that many of us will be watching Eir Sports through the app, or via a Sky box but without Sky+ features, then deferred coverage is actually better than live.

So this week, if the Ospreys game is live and clashing with Leinster, I can't watch it as I have no facility to record. If they show the Ospreys game after the Leinster one, as their schedule indicates, then I can watch it.

Premier Sports have three channels, eir Sport have only two (one of which is effectively shared with Premier Sports). What this means is that any time three games are scheduled simultaneously, like next Friday, at least one won’t be live on eir Sport. (Doesn’t happen again until 29th September). We can take it as a given therefore that eir Sport won’t be showing all 152 matches live.

Right now the biggest game that is down to have no Irish coverage (eir/TG4) is way ahead in Round 17 and is Scarlets v Munster. Given the timing and the teams involved I’d be amazed if that isn’t eventually televised but right now it’s not down to be.

Take your point but on Friday week if we are to believe listings only 1 match out of 3 Pro 14 matches will be shown live by Eir Sports i.e. Cardiff vs Leinster and Eir Sports will show this match on their 2 channels which is a waste of a channel IMHO. I think your earlier explanation of why this may be the case is probably correct i.e. that the Cardiff vs Leinster match will be shown on Premier Sports 1 and therefore has to be simultaneously shown on Eir Sports 2 (as it is virtually a duplicate of PS1) while Eir Sports want Leinster vs Cardiff on Eir Sports 1 as it is the marquee match for them. Also because Premier Sports 2 is SD only and not HD, Premier Sports want the Cardiff vs Leinster match on their only HD channel i.e. PS1 as like Eir Sports they regard this as the marquee match of the evening.

• Advertisement

I should point out that since I posted that, I’ve seen an advert (and I don’t think I’m the only one) saying Ospreys v Edinburgh is on Premier Sport 1 (which is the same as eir Sport 2).

I take the point that the listings on the eir Sport and Premier Sports websites haven’t been updated to reflect that.

Incidentally if anyone interested, the first of about 1,000 showings (no not really, but about six) of a Premier Sports highlights show on the Pro14 Awards in Glasgow earlier this week starts on eir Sport 2 shortly.

Can't wait till Friday - the build up here is fab - all set up - eir sports on two sky boxes plus an evision box should have all games covered all free as an eir broadband customer

Alas, I caught that promo again tonight and it did indeed say Cardiff v Leinster on Premier 1 and Ospreys v Edinburgh on Premier 2. So the Leinster game will indeed be on both eir 1&2.

Edit: the attachment is upside down. Not sure why or how I make it be the right way around...you’d think I’d know that after 17 years on Boards!

Think I'll watch zebre v kings

Any update on freesports hd

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How does it work then week 2 when the Ulster and Glasgow games are both on the exact same time on Eir? One on Eir1 and one on Eir2 right? None of this delayed bollocks?

How does it work then week 2 when the Ulster and Glasgow games are both on the exact same time on Eir? One on Eir1 and one on Eir2 right? None of this delayed bollocks?

I presume there will be plenty of repeats of matches shown live and delayed coverage of matches not shown live on Eir Sports.

Come home awec...it's the only way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Premier Sports discount code ..Premier89. Get the year for £89 instead of £108.90.

Advertisement