Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pubs, cafes & restaurants thinking they own the pavements

• 29-06-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭

I'm getting more and more vexed at pubs, cafes and restaurants in Dublin and other towns I've been to recently thinking they own the pavements outside their premises. Seems they now have carte blanche to put seating, canopies, advertising hoardings and sandwich boards right from their front doors to the edge of the pavement.

I'm able bodied, but having to step on to the road or luas line, or to wait as pedestrians filter through one by one is really irritating - maybe it's because of my age. Can't imagine how frustrating it is for wheelchair users.

Rant over, until I got out again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Businesses pay for this space. It isn't cheap.
    However, I've no doubt that businesses take more space than they are allocated and I suspect that many don't pay.

Needs enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

As a country not built for sunny climes, we have no purposely buily big open squares in which to sit, have a drink/meal and enjoy this presumably short-lived gorgeous weather. I am all for businesses putting as many tables and chairs outside their premises as possible this week so we can enjoy it as much as possible.

Understandably annoying for those that have to step around them but for this week there should be no complaints about this really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If you think its blocking the pavement, then you can send a complaint to the roads and traffic dept who control this

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-business/apply-tables-chairs-licence

As above, its expensive.

Licence fee €100
    PLUS
    Table fee €125 per table
    PLUS
    Space fee of up to €500 per square metre

So say 4 sq metres with 3 tables in premium Dublin city spot will cost €2500 per year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Can't sit out in it without being asphyxiated by smokers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not just tables and chairs.

Businesses placing ads on the footpath. Tend to avoid those ignorant cvnts as a result. Seems to be absolutely no enforcement on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Vexed is a great word, OP. My parents loved to deploy it! :)

CeilingFly wrote: »
    If you think its blocking the pavement, then you can send a complaint to the roads and traffic dept who control this

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-business/apply-tables-chairs-licence

As above, its expensive.

Licence fee €100
    PLUS
    Table fee €125 per table
    PLUS
    Space fee of up to €500 per square metre

So say 4 sq metres with 3 tables in premium Dublin city spot will cost €2500 per year

That actually doesn’t seem too expensive for a full year. 50 quid a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

eigrod wrote: »
    I'm able bodied, but having to step on to the road or luas line, or to wait as pedestrians filter through one by one is really irritating - maybe it's because of my age

Probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It surprises me that no person has been injured by these being placed on the footpath which was originally provided for foot fall, some of the tables can be in a very uncomfortable and public place for any bit of comfort for the customer, people walking close by the tables all the time, I would not like that, where there is a proper garden outdoor area are beautiful, I would not sit on the pavement or streetside tables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

_Dara_ wrote: »

If it was based not just on size but on the percentage of the available space used it would make sense. In bigger areas with lots of space they could place more tables, on a narrow street it's not possible to put more than one.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    If it was based not just on size but on the percentage of the available space used it would make sense. In bigger areas with lots of space they could place more tables, on a narrow street it's not possible to put more than one.

It’s rare enough to see only one or two tables outside a place. Most will have more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a popular one near me is Ryan's pub in Sandymount, but its at the corner of a main road with busses and lots of traffic, not sure what the appeal is? also no shade, sitting up against a wall in full sun sounds like torture to me.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Ffs. Smoking ban comes in. Pubs and restaurants start using outdoor space. Then non smokers realise it's better and they want it. But it now has to be smoke free. Now able bodied people have to use their legs to wake around these outdoor spaces and they want them gone.
    This is why nothing good ever last in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

silverharp wrote: »
    a popular one near me is Ryan's pub in Sandymount, but its at the corner of a main road with busses and lots of traffic, not sure what the appeal is? also no shade, sitting up against a wall in full sun sounds like torture to me.

Yes I see lots of local cafes and restaurants putting tables and chairs out on busy suburban pavements with loads of traffic going past. I suppose smokers might sit there, but it doesn't look very relaxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Ffs. Smoking ban comes in. Pubs and restaurants start using outdoor space. Then non smokers realise it's better and they want it. But it now has to be smoke free. Now able bodied people have to use their legs to wake around these outdoor spaces and they want them gone.

So if they continue to expand out on to the public road and make the traffic go on to the other side of the road, that's ok too ?

Public pavements (pedestrian walks, sidewalks, call them what you will) were put there for pedestrians, not for businesses to take up the full width of them.

Oh, and it's nothing to do with smoking. These would be there this time of the year were there a smoking ban or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I thought it was the Spanish students thinking the thinking that they owned the pavements.

_Dara_ wrote: »

For a summer like this - excellent value for money. But you see very few people sitting out from October to April and in the usual summers when its raining every other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Oliver St Yogurty are the worst. Think they own the feckin place with their 17 euro pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Oliver St Yogurty are the worst. Think they own the feckin place with their 17 euro pints.

We might clash occasionally but this is something we agree on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Nothing good?

Like what? Smoking? :confused:

• Advertisement

have they come down in price :D

My local is still 4.20 + fab beer garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Can't sit out in it without being asphyxiated by smokers though.

Stay inside in your smoke-free environment and leave us smokers alone.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    For a summer like this - excellent value for money. But you see very few people sitting out from October to April and in the usual summers when its raining every other day.

Well naturally you won’t have people sitting outside year-round. But there’s a four to five month period where it’s possible and having outdoor seating can bring in custom. It certainly attracts me anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Businesses need planning permission to do that and in the city centre it's very expensive to place even a few seats outside, though I don't know how strictly enforced it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Stay inside in your smoke-free environment and leave us smokers alone.

Take your polluting addiction elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's likely that they do own them ya big feckin' eejits :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Own what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Outdoor seating areas don't bother me but actually what does is those A boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Nothing thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Take your polluting addiction elsewhere.

We did, we took it outside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

eigrod wrote: »
    Own what ?

Clue is in title of thread
    "Pubs, cafes & restaurants thinking they own the pavements"

Just because the own them doesn't mean they can do what they like with them. But they probably technically own them

Advertisement