Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a car for sale thread - part 2

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

I quote 'basically a Mercedes ML'...............for 799 euro

I don't remember these being so ugly!

https://www.adverts.ie/car/ssangyong/actyon/2007-ssangyong-actyon/20193153

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭User1998

padyjoe wrote: »
    It could have been worse, gti dreaming on a low budget. You'll be wide awake once it gets moving.
    Those wheels do no favours for the small engine and ride comfort. And it's an import too, speedo in mph only.

Why does it matter if it’s an import.. It reads kilometres in the centre screen anyway.

Apart from the GTI interior stickers I think the mods are fairly tasteful and quite subtle, and it’s priced good considering the mileage. There a good car for someone starting out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I dont think there's a lot to be said for it tbh. A UK import in the lowest Trendline spec with replica TTRS wheels and a few bits of stick on tat. Despite what the ad says, i'd say it's seen a bit of a thrashing at some point too, we've all been there.

If i had €6k to spend on a Polo, i'd hold out for a clean Irish example if possible.

Here's a same year, better spec Comfortline from a main dealer, asking €1k less.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-polo-polo-1-2-70bhp-5dr-comfortline/25674686

I dont think there's a lot to be said for it tbh. A UK import in the lowest Trendline spec with replica TTRS wheels and a few bits of stick on tat. Despite what the ad says, i'd say it's seen a bit of a thrashing at some point too, we've all been there.

If i had €6k to spend on a Polo, i'd hold out for a clean Irish example if possible.

Here's a same year, better spec Comfortline from a main dealer, asking €1k less.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-polo-polo-1-2-70bhp-5dr-comfortline/25674686

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but hopefully you're just lightening the mood on here!

That 'better spec' Polo is rolling on Jinyu plastic tyres complimented by plastic wheel covers lovingly secured by cable ties. And that's just for starters! That Polo has a stink of rental car off it and a VW dealer selling a car with such tyres is hilarious too!

NjU0ZjY1MTQzNmI1M2MwMzgwMGY0NTQyMGQwYWVmNza_ovcOKOPHvH9v_GRHffMpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTQxMTEyMzR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

It’s not a trendline, it has comfortline seats and air conditioning, it’s missing front fog lights but it’s actually a decent spec. I’ve sold a few 2010 standard Polos recently with double the mileage for 5k so I think 6k is quite reasonable, considering the wheels and tyres were probably €700. Young people love this stuff and will pay extra for it. 80k km’s is very low as well compared to others.

• Advertisement

No,i'm deadly serious. The "GTi rep" is a shed, the main dealer one may have chinese tyres but the other has chinese rims and i'm confident you wont find it wearing premium tyres.

To be fair to the dealer car, it's retained it's original wheel trims, damage free after a decade so someones obviously been careful with it and a dealer usually wouldn't retail something that old unless they were full sure of its past. There's no one renting out 10 year old Polos and to be fair, there's really nothing to suggest ex rental about it at any point in it's life that I can see.

So yeah, i'd be confident the main dealer car is a better car, for €1k less.

No,i'm deadly serious. The "GTi rep" is a shed, the main dealer one may have chinese tyres but the other has chinese rims and i'm confident you wont find it wearing premium tyres.

To be fair to the dealer car, it's retained it's original wheel trims, damage free after a decade so someones obviously been careful with it and a dealer usually wouldn't retail something that old unless they were full sure of its past. There's no one renting out 10 year old Polos and to be fair, there's really nothing to suggest ex rental about it at any point in it's life that I can see.

So yeah, i'd be confident the main dealer car is a better car, for €1k less.

You forgot to mention that the Polo your workplace the dealer is selling has done twice the mileage of 167km!! of the private one.

Your workplace The dealership probably fitted new wheelcovers that they found in the attic from 10 years ago. It has a previous dealer sticker on it. I've no idea why a main VW dealer is retailing it, and it certainly doesn't qualify for Das WeltAuto warranty. VW HQ wouldn't be happy seeing that on the forecourt!

You can't say 'it's obvious' been cared for, as for all you know the engine could start misfiring, timing chain issues etc tomorrow, a common problem with the 1.2 Polo or other age.mileage related issues. Cared for with Jinyu plastic tyres?? What else have they skimped on?? I wouldn't be so 'confident'

I'm actually surprised with Blackwater motors, they're a good garage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Most jinyu tyres are pretty decent these days.

You forgot to mention that the Polo your workplace the dealer is selling has done twice the mileage of 167km!! of the private one.

Your workplace The dealership probably fitted new wheelcovers that they found in the attic from 10 years ago. It has a previous dealer sticker on it. I've no idea why a main VW dealer is retailing it, and it certainly doesn't qualify for Das WeltAuto warranty. VW HQ wouldn't be happy seeing that on the forecourt!

You can't say 'it's obvious' been cared for, as for all you know the engine could start misfiring, timing chain issues etc tomorrow, a common problem with the 1.2 Polo or other age.mileage related issues. Cared for with Jinyu plastic tyres?? What else have they skimped on?? I wouldn't be so 'confident'

I'm actually surprised with Blackwater motors, they're a good garage!

Ah in fairness who puts expensive tyres on a 10 year old Polo. I’d imagine it would need to be fairly tidy and have some VW service history if they were to retail something that old.

I recently sold a 2010 Polo, similar spec with similar mileage, for €5k. So I think considering the car is being sold by Volkswagen it’s good value at €5k. But the GTI one is good value too after a bit of haggling if it checks out. The target audience of each car is completely different and there both decent in their own ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

@toyotafanboi you must have some commute to work these days seeing as you're apparently working in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

What kind of awful sh*te has this thread turned in to?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SummerK

@toyotafanboi you must have some commute to work these days seeing as you're apparently working in Cork.

That's really funny. You could get into stand up comedy with one liners like that.

All I'm saying is i mustn't have gotten the memo where big rep wheels, sticking a GTi grille badge to an otherwise stock 1.2, private deal and UK import added 20% to the value of a car versus a similar model in a main dealer. The price is a bit strong on it, that's what i think. The Polo being a good looking small car doesn't make apologies for the price.

That said, i agree with User1998 in that they have different targret audiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

SummerK wrote: »

Those wheels are a disaster, so ugly. The quality of the interior of these is also a big letdown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

You forgot to mention that the Polo your workplace[/S] the dealer is selling has done twice the mileage of 167km!! of the private one.

Your workplace The dealership probably fitted new wheelcovers that they found in the attic from 10 years ago. I'm actually surprised with Blackwater motors, they're a good garage!
    That's really funny. You could get into stand up comedy with one liners like that.

I think James Bond Junior was making fun of Ta ceist agam, not you, TFB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Brian Scan wrote: »
    I think James Bond Junior was making fun of Ta ceist agam, not you, TFB

Completely.

Completely.

2 days later I'm glad that's been cleared up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What kind of awful sh*te has this thread turned in to?

It’s a pity rereg trolls aren’t dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s a pity rereg trolls aren’t dealt with.

I'd have thought he would be too busy buying Cat C Focus' out of Copart, but I suppose the auctions are quiet lately..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's worth a click The car built for you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some people have way too much spare time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's worth a click The car built for you! :D

6 previous owners disagree.

It only dawned on me today, nearly every nice car you see in north Dublin has Beshoff plates on it. Passed a nice 430i cabrio, 201 745e and new shape A8 all with their plates on. They do some business. I’d say one of the most successful non franchise dealers in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

bazz26 wrote: »

Thought hard about this but the tax is a killer..:pac:

It only dawned on me today, nearly every nice car you see in north Dublin has Beshoff plates on it. Passed a nice 430i cabrio, 201 745e and new shape A8 all with their plates on. They do some business. I’d say one of the most successful non franchise dealers in the country.

The new premises now seems to be well suited to their stock and target market.
    Truckermal wrote: »
    Thought hard about this but the tax is a killer..:pac:

No diesel option is a major bummer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

When Jeremy was 14 or 15 he started a business cleaning Yachts. Soon after he had a few younger kids working for him. As soon as he could drive he was trading cars. He's a real grafter.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not a fan of how these look or sound in person, I was quite disappointed. Neighbour of my partner has one in Oslo and he's not 'quiet' with it - but I guess at least it's not another e-tron/f-pace/model s

Advertisement