Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a car for sale thread - part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The V6 diesel does sound nice but a desperately unreliable POS. Not that the petrol is guarenteed to be any better though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I thought that V6 TDI was a good engine, no? Nice and rare as that petrol engine is, I’d say it could be a nightmare

Infamous for cam pulleys wearing, timing chain tensioners failing, coolant leaks in the V-pan and from the water pump. Funny for a VAG yoke injectors and EGR system aren't too bad on them.

Lovely engine when it's going good but you'd want deep pockets or great fortune to keep one going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Do they still have those issues running into the a7 production years?

I've always heard it's wise to steer clear of early 2.7 and 3.0 tdi a5's and other yokes from that 2007-2010 era alright.

IMO they got worse with time. 15, 16, 17 reg yokes it's almost a given it'll need a set of cams and chain tensioners and that an engine out 30 hour job to do the tensioners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

IMO they got worse with time. 15, 16, 17 reg yokes it's almost a given it'll need a set of cams and chain tensioners and that an engine out 30 hour job to do the tensioners.

Your saying the Audi a7s engines are ****e? Assume that’s the same engine more or less as the 313bhp bi turbo Audi A7 engine? This most likely the same engine as in certain a6s and sq5s also?

PsychoPete wrote: »
    You'd know he's from Offaly anyway

Kinnegad is in Westmeath ....between his spelling and your geography , this thread gone to hell! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

Mini850 wrote: »
    Ill have one at some stage.....think they're deadly

Went for a test drive that day, it's like a go kart with very hard suspension, just bounces around all over.. super fun.

LillySV wrote: »
    Your saying the Audi a7s engines are ****e? Assume that’s the same engine more or less as the 313bhp bi turbo Audi A7 engine? This most likely the same engine as in certain a6s and sq5s also?

Yeah, in every model it is fitted to. Nice engine to have in an A6 or the likes but only after you've spent a few grand in preventative maintenance IMO.

Yeah, in every model it is fitted to. Nice engine to have in an A6 or the likes but only after you've spent a few grand in preventative maintenance IMO.

You reckon that even 2015 era models would still need the likes of tensioner done on them? What kind of mileage would that be at? (Glad I seen this as have been keeping an eye out for an a6 avant/sq5 bargain with this engine... by sounds of things a bargain could spell trouble l!)

Is it the same engine and associated problems in the newer 320bhp models also?

• Advertisement

Well do a bit of a google and form your own opinion but to me it's a very popular issue and not necessarily on high mileage cars.

I would say most weeks we have one in the workshop getting a new set of chain tensioners and occasionally cams too and that wouldn't be us looking for that kind of work, it'd be people approaching us saying their engine sounds like a bag of hammers.

I say one a week as that's all we would have the capacity to facilitate, if a lad starts one of a Monday morning, all going to plan with no hiccups you'd be seeing it back rolling for Thursday night-ish.

Would definitely be dealing with coolant leaks on them on a daily basis. The electronic coolant shut off valve in the V-pan leaks very very frequently and is the guts of a days work in changing that too. See the odd water pump leaking too.

Anything with the 272 or 313bhp engines i'd be cautious of.

That being said, if the work is done then they are a nice machine, so it's hard to know but i'd definitely be scrutinising anything up to 2017 ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Thought hard about getting a 3.0L A6 last year when I bought one but read so many stories the same as above so settled for a 2.0L after that.

Well do a bit of a google and form your own opinion but to me it's a very popular issue and not necessarily on high mileage cars.

I would say most weeks we have one in the workshop getting a new set of chain tensioners and occasionally cams too and that wouldn't be us looking for that kind of work, it'd be people approaching us saying their engine sounds like a bag of hammers.

I say one a week as that's all we would have the capacity to facilitate, if a lad starts one of a Monday morning, all going to plan with no hiccups you'd be seeing it back rolling for Thursday night-ish.

Would definitely be dealing with coolant leaks on them on a daily basis. The electronic coolant shut off valve in the V-pan leaks very very frequently and is the guts of a days work in changing that too. See the odd water pump leaking too.

Anything with the 272 or 313bhp engines i'd be cautious of.

That being said, if the work is done then they are a nice machine, so it's hard to know but i'd definitely be scrutinising anything up to 2017 ish.

Thanks be to god I didn’t go there so.... I very very nearly bought an sq5 earlier last year but held back and then prices for the same went through the roof... just as good cause once I’d bought it I definitely wouldn’t have had cash for repairs like that! If u were looking for an suv/estate with that kind of power, what would u suggest that would be reliable and likely to be less costly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I ran a BiTDi A6 for a while and zero issues with it. It's a hell of an engine so as long as you look after it and ensure any preventative maintenance is done, it's well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Have a 3.0 A6 myself, it's been absolutely flawless so far. I've probably jinxed myself now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

2018 VW Golf Highline with R-Line Kit.

Think 22K is high!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2018-volkswagen-golf-highline/26941715

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, here are two from main VW dealers asking similar money:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2713690&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D812%26f%3D1%26nn%3D6%26yn%3D2018%26yx%3D2018%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2721410&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D812%26f%3D1%26nn%3D6%26yn%3D2018%26yx%3D2018%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

I'm sure there is room for haggling in those dealer asking prices too and the cars will probably have the 2 year VW approved used car warranty too.

That private seller really needs to be asking under 20k imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Honda Integra SiR. Not as good as the type R obviously and not sure if it has NCT. Still alright though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-integra-dc2/26929110

ZGUwMTkwZjUxMmEzOWEwNDExMTc0ZTg2MTcwNTRlNzkw9koJpbnolwA6OXya_2_EaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjczMzE0MDJ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-type-r/26971291

MGVhNWMwNzYzOTZlODM0Y2E2MTlhYjYyMjgzNDMxNGO4J0jzBAT8kyj4WcKN_DIyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjc4NTcxNTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Ep3 for €1500

Wonder how bad the damage is in reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-type-r/26971291

MGVhNWMwNzYzOTZlODM0Y2E2MTlhYjYyMjgzNDMxNGO4J0jzBAT8kyj4WcKN_DIyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjc4NTcxNTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Ep3 for €1500

Wonder how bad the damage is in reality

Wouldn't matter, engine is worth 2k so you're up straight away

• Advertisement

Photo's make it look like rear quarter panel damage but if you look close, it's been absolutely milled from behind.

I'd say economically it's a write off. A good car for breaking at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Oops!

It's a breaker... There's a good few quid in it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wouldn't matter, engine is worth 2k so you're up straight away

If he would answer the phone or a message I could tell you what condition the engine is in because it's all I'm interested in for 1500 notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Always had a soft spot for them. Needs to be yellow though for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's not the turbo version is it?

bear1 wrote: »
    It's not the turbo version is it?

No NA version.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-vitz-rs-1-5-manual/27003831

MWExMGI1ZjE2OWNiNWYxZWUxNGFiMWZjYWY2YjcwNzGXs2agSWGcutlnyFH9YRnKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjgyMzM2NjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

YTZiMGMwMzM5YTYzMGI5OWQ1NWZjZTVkODhkZGVkMzTe9yU5T6PCLjVVHxh4_m-kaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjgyMzM2Njh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is an interesting looking little car, Vitz RS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

lassykk wrote: »
    Always had a soft spot for them. Needs to be yellow though for me!

Friend had a yellow turbo back in the day with a few mods, was a very rapid machine. They've aged well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Advertisement