Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a car for sale thread - part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

bazz26 wrote: »

It's eco on space too. This car has a power full, starts smart with a button. When it has to stop, it's done by a break liquid. And I'm saling this now, you won't be disappointed! ;)

Do I see a last gen Saab on pic 2??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That insignia will still be sitting there in a years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What was going through the mind of the person who imported that Insignia? Not only the high motor tax but the VRT was crazy on them too. Maybe someone brought it over VRT exempt?

I remember there was a 2018 or 2019 ex Opel Ireland Insignia GSI version for sale for well under 30k at the time. That one really needs to be low 20s for someone to consider that much motor tax these days. Nice sleeper car all the same but it needs to be cheap to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Never noticed a rev counter with two different needle positions for stop/start and off before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Class car, I had one for a while back as a demo when they came out - back in the day. You really need the 1.33 in them though. The 1.0 is horrid.

That one seems to be missing its glovebox bag.

It had the most infuriating radio this side of an N16 Almera. It was forward thinking in that they assumed people would mainly play music through the aux in, so they made the rest of the system ridiculously minimalist.

This was part of TMME’s effort to try and spice things up in the showrooms. They brought in the Urban Cruiser and iQ from Japan in small numbers. They were hopelessly overpriced as a result.

Then Aston Martin coming out with one...

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »

The Aston ones haven’t depreciated at all!
    I thought people would have seen it for what it was, but they are in demand!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The Aston ones haven’t depreciated at all!
    I thought people would have seen it for what it was, but they are in demand!

I seem to recall you could order a special pack where you'd get a cushion with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

bear1 wrote: »

That was one of those strange corporate decisions. I mean, when Porsche said they were going to make a SUV, lots of people went "WTF??" .......... but nowadays its no surprise for any performance manufacturer to have a SUV variant.

But a tiny Aston Martin city car is still something I can't seem to wrap my head around. You can (loosely) marry the idea of an indomitable big-engined SUV with a company known for performance cars, but I struggle with marrying the idea of a tiny-engined micro car with Aston's brand, performance and general ethos.

That was one of those strange corporate decisions. I mean, when Porsche said they were going to make a SUV, lots of people went "WTF??" .......... but nowadays its no surprise for any performance manufacturer to have a SUV variant.

But a tiny Aston Martin city car is still something I can't seem to wrap my head around. You can (loosely) marry the idea of an indomitable big-engined SUV with a company known for performance cars, but I struggle with marrying the idea of a tiny-engined micro car with Aston's brand, performance and general ethos.

It was just a dodge to get their collective emissions down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vauxhall-insignia-2-0-turbo-4x4-automatic/27255102

Irish reg 2.0 turbo 4x4 Insignia

Interesting car, unfortunate tax
    Adverts like that drive me bonkers. Every option you can think of - check for sunroof - nope :rolleyes:

Then listing things like disc brakes all round, front and rear electric windows - don't 90% of cars have those these days?!

And the word is being - not been :mad:

Interesting car all the same - but good luck finding a buyer here for it at that price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Several years time.

They only did it to average down the emissions across the range, each Cygnet they produced allowed them to keep flogging V12s in other cars, so it's not all bad

They also stuck a 4.7l v8 into one Cygnet :Dhttps://www.topspeed.com/cars/aston-martin/the-insane-aston-martin-cygnet-v8-is-a-123-inch-car-with-a-v8-ar181806.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,929 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The 2nd pic looks like the car was made to go sit in the corner and think about what it had done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

It was just a dodge to get their collective emissions down.
    They only did it to average down the emissions across the range, each Cygnet they produced allowed them to keep flogging V12s in other cars, so it's not all bad

Oh I know, I read automotive stuff heavily so heard about the emissions reasoning back when it was released - but as a way to collectively reduce emissions and in terms of thinking of their brand, it still seems a far-out option to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Oh I know, I read automotive stuff heavily so heard about the emissions reasoning back when it was released - but as a way to collectively reduce emissions and in terms of thinking of their brand, it still seems a far-out option to me.

You're forgetting how many badge snobs there are, my uncle bought one for driving around London so he didn't get dings & scrapes on his v12 Aston. Im sure there are many like him.

Although from a brand image point i think it made it stronger, rather than 'diluting' their primary products with Hybrid tech they kept their v12s & just added a tertiary product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I drive passed Toyota Liffey Valley most days and have seen this Lexus for sale. I don't know loads about cars but they have had this up with a price of over €35k on it. I see they have slightly reduced the price to €33k. When I went to have a closer look I was shocked to see it was a 7 year old Lexus, was surprised to see they were still looking for €33k for a car that old. How much were they new, are they really worth that price?

https://www.toyotaliffeyvalley.ie/used-cars/toyota-plus-ireland/a0Z6700000bAt2A?LEXUS/LS%20460/Dublin%2022

They were a €100k + car new though.

They’re around €120k these days.

Revenue VRT calculator values a 2014 at €17k, but who knows where they pulled that from.

Surprised it’s a 460 being that new. I think it’s a uk import?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,488 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I drive passed Toyota Liffey Valley most days and have seen this Lexus for sale. I don't know loads about cars but they have had this up with a price of over €35k on it. I see they have slightly reduced the price to €33k. When I went to have a closer look I was shocked to see it was a 7 year old Lexus, was surprised to see they were still looking for €33k for a car that old. How much were they new, are they really worth that price?

https://www.toyotaliffeyvalley.ie/used-cars/toyota-plus-ireland/a0Z6700000bAt2A?LEXUS/LS%20460/Dublin%2022

€2400 tax as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would have expected it to be hybrid to be honest....

Luckycharm wrote: »

The thing is that car cost over 100k new so it has lost around 70k in 7 years which is not the worst in the big scheme of things on big luxury cars. It's not a 7 year old Corolla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

The thing is that car cost over 100k new so it has lost around 70k in 7 years which is not the worst in the big scheme of things on big luxury cars. It's not a 7 year old Corolla.

100k - 7 years - €25k to €30k IMO, and is there anybody actually gonna buy that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

It still has €36k on the sticker on the windscreen.

33k or 36k, the main point is it's a fraction of what the car cost brand new 7 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

newmember? wrote: »
    100k - 7 years - €25k to €30k IMO, and is there anybody actually gonna buy that?

If it hadn't have been navy and a 460...I'd have gone for a look. In the facelift or final model pre twin turbo V6 you really want the 600hl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Thoughts on this anyone, looking at either a BMW 3 series, Merc C-Class or the Jag XE, budget is 16000 and want something 2016 onwards, saw this lad in Donegal on the border with the north, will deliver for free and will sort VRT etc

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xe-20161622-0-se-160-bhpsat-navfsh/26950925?campaign=6

I was wondering why it was cheap but then realized it was a manual Jag. Also what is with dealers either side of the boarder putting on silly oversized aftermarket alloy wheels and then telling you that they cost extra? The UK reg is hidden too, I'd certainly make sure to run a history check on the UK reg. Those diesel engines are quiet unrefined too and not very reliable apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I was expecting to see leather in that Jag.
    Also I know I'm splitting hairs on this one but I thought €190 pa was the lowest motor tax rate on the CO2 basis.

I was expecting to see leather in that Jag.
    Also I know I'm splitting hairs on this one but I thought €190 pa was the lowest motor tax rate on the CO2 basis.

Nope, there's three below that..
    The basis of assessment (BOA) is the vehicle detail which facilitates the calculation of the appropriate motor tax fee, e.g. engine capacity or CO2 emissions for private cars, weight for goods vehicles. The BOA for the details entered is CO2 EMISSIONS (NEDC Value)
    The rates of taxation are as follows:

Tax Band Annual €
    0 - 1 120
    2 - 80 170
    81 - 100 180
    101 - 110 190
    111 - 120 200
    121 - 130 270
    131 - 140 280
    141 - 155 400
    156 - 170 600
    171 - 190 790
    191 - 225 1250
    226 - 999 2400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Thoughts on this anyone, looking at either a BMW 3 series, Merc C-Class or the Jag XE, budget is 16000 and want something 2016 onwards, saw this lad in Donegal on the border with the north, will deliver for free and will sort VRT etc

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xe-20161622-0-se-160-bhpsat-navfsh/26950925?campaign=6

A manual diesel Jag with cloth. You will be married to that til death does ye apart! Nobody will want it if you decide to sell down the line, and it will be worth considerably less than a similar vintage 3 series or A4 etc. Keep in mind that if you don’t want to spent an extra €800 on those crappy Chinese wheels, it’ll come on tiny little 16” wheels too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

A manual diesel Jag with cloth. You will be married to that til death does ye apart! Nobody will want it if you decide to sell down the line, and it will be worth considerably less than a similar vintage 3 series or A4 etc. Keep in mind that if you don’t want to spent an extra €800 on those crappy Chinese wheels, it’ll come on tiny little 16” wheels too.

Oh man its such a minefield and I am not up on my cars at all how about this

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2016-Mercedes-C-Class-D-SE-EXECUTIVE-AUTO-279289200?keywords=&make=16&model=139996&fuel_type=0&trans_type=0&age_from=2016&age_to=0&price_from=0&price_to=12000&user_type=0&body_style=0&keywords=&location%5B%5D=0&location%5B%5D=0&homepage_search_attr=1&tab_id=0&search_type=1

The only thing I am unsure of is that it does said that it is just in from the UK so will I get screwed on even more tax there?

Advertisement