Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a car for sale thread - part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-qashqai-2012-nct-05-2022/27096315

Middling car, suitable for most people, a bit silver.

Door handles aren’t colour coded, I’m out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yawn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Yeah, the whole thing has gone by the wayside a bit. Can't fathom the likes of that Peugeot at all.

Same with bangernomics, used to be a great thread. Anything goes now, stuff with little/ no test, mechanical issues etc.
    Fair enough, probably a wrong opinion on the generally great Bangernomics thread, but you then say this
    That has to take the prize for the most unremarkable car ever posted in this thread.
    And then post... This, in the thread about quirky and generally unobtainable cars :pac:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-qashqai-2012-nct-05-2022/27096315

Middling car, suitable for most people, a bit silver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

There's someone on here who continuously posts literally random cars that have NCT and are under 2k. They're usually kinda crap and unremarkable. Thread has been going downhill since... I mean, there must be thousands of NCTd sub 2k cars on donedeal... Show me something better than that.

Hah, I sometimes do have to wind it in on the bangernomics thread and give it a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭User1998

Bangernomics thread would probably be one of my favourites on here thanks to a certain few posters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Fair enough, probably a wrong opinion on the generally great Bangernomics thread, but you then say this

And then post... This, in the thread about quirky and generally unobtainable cars :pac:

I must have broken your sarcasm detector.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/192-bmw-m140i-shadow-edition/27696752

YzQ2YTEyMGNjZDIwYjM5MGM1YTJjNjdlM2YxN2I3ODWJ74OxWkBaAYqOR1g0GxGPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzU5NDkxODR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Am I missing something or is this not very cheap for what it is? You'd struggle to get a 2019 Golf R for 42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the establishment selling that have been mentioned before. Strange setup apparently where they sell expensive cars from a unit in an industrial estate seen in the background of the photos. Doesn't inspire me with huge confidence given the type and price of metal on offer. Seems to be more than one business doing the same thing in the exact same area too which seems a bit odd. Eyes wide open imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

The cars are always immaculate though, cleaned to perfection

• Advertisement

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭User1998

I don’t know why they get such a bad rep. I visited the showroom a while ago. Yes its in an industrial estate but theres a Land Rover garage a few doors down thats also in the industrial estate. NCT centre right across the road as well.

The cars speak for themselves, they are all mint. Yes prices are lower than competitors but they don’t accept offers so that probably explains it.

I mean yeah, theres no sign up on the door and its a warehouse type setup, but I think judging a business on the materials of the building its renting is a bit much. If the building was made of glass they’d be considered more reputable?

I found the owner pleasant to deal with and he said he has been selling cars his whole life. Weather or not theres something more sinister going on in the background I don’t know but I never once got that vibe off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

User1998 wrote: »
    I don’t know why they get such a bad rep. I visited the showroom a while ago. Yes its in an industrial estate but theres a Land Rover garage a few doors down thats also in the industrial estate. NCT centre right across the road as well.

The cars speak for themselves, they are all mint. Yes prices are lower than competitors but they don’t accept offers so that probably explains it.

I mean yeah, theres no sign up on the door and its a warehouse type setup, but I think judging a business on the materials of the building its renting is a bit much. If the building was made of glass they’d be considered more reputable?

I found the owner pleasant to deal with and he said he has been selling cars his whole life. Weather or not theres something more sinister going on in the background I don’t know but I never once got that vibe off him.

Neither to I to be honest

They're trading through that company since 2016 and the company itself looks to be in great financial health. The guy who owns it doesn't seem to be affiliated with anything less than above board.

Their reviews seem to be typical of a used motor dealer I.E most good, some bad. Fairly par for the course in the motor industry.

They sell a huge amount of high value cars and seem to have a fairly good client list as the cars do not stick around.

They trade from a well known industrial estate in naas.

I can't see anything at all dodgy here, what am I missing?

They do seem to be working under a few different names though.

But to be fair, they are selling a different caliber under each name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Anyone that can shift over €2m worth of high value used cars during the first month of lockdown last year could only be squeaky clean, half the country must have been dropping €80k+ on used motors as soon as covid hit.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-automatic/27599832

NmQ0YjMzMTEyZDBlZjE0YmMwYjNkOTVkOGUxMzczZTF_XMRiuQeCgd2r60yVS38taHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzQ5NDk0MDh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A sporty* Avensis, 150 bhp, and check out that (factory!) bodykit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That stick-on crap is dealer supplied and serious money. That car even came with colour coded side skirts but they were swapped for the Mr. Whippy style TTE ones.

Dealers had to buy a certain amount of accessories per year to get rebates, I’m guessing this is a product of that. It might have been a Toyota UK owned car too.

That rear spoiler is actually the lesser offensive option.

0729948-A-2-B26-467-A-85-F7-E512-E146-E538.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Wasn't there another even bigger one that put the Mitsubishi Evo's one to shame?

What is a little bizarre about that Avensis is a pre facelift model yet has the centre console from a facelift model. The onboard computer screen should be above the centre vents where the storage lid is.

bazz26 wrote: »
    What is a little bizarre about that Avensis is a pre facelift model yet has the centre console from a facelift model. The onboard computer screen should be above the centre vents where the storage lid is.

That one has the flip up colour screen for navigation id say

It has its own remote control, similar to IS200

43-B62504-721-F-4-CB6-AF11-0400-EAC07-F36.jpg

Actually, looking at it, the satnav didn’t have the centre button cos it was motorised - I’d say it was broken and swapped out for the facelift type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Would have been nicer for everyone if they just offered the caldina for sale here instead of just sticking bits on an avensis

:pac:

Would it be an import from the likes of Oz?

Hmm....it’s registered as UK spec....

The speedometer isn’t correct though. They’re supposed to go to 160mph on those.
    That seems to go to 180 km/h which would suggest it’s a Japanese domestic market model speedo.

Would explain the lack of badging..

Here’s a JDM model
    https://www.tc-v.com/used_car/toyota/avensis/27517010/?isNew=1

Would be plausible that the radio was swapped out because Japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Nope, they only got an avensis verso, pretty sure the avensis as above is a Europe-only machine?

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Nope, they only got an avensis verso, pretty sure the avensis as above is a Europe-only machine?

The Avensis was apparently the first Toyota on sale in Japan to be imported from abroad.

They did start importing that UK built model in small numbers to Japan so it could have found it's way back over to the UK later on and then imported over here? A 2.0 litre petrol Avensis would have been rare as hen's teeth here and those that were sold here tended to be fairly high spec ones with leather, sat nav, etc. Either that or the entire dash has been replaced.

New Ford Puma ST:

No fear of not finding a car in that colour in a car park. 47k is crazy money but slightly less bonkers than 60k for a VW T-Roc R.

They did start importing that UK built model in small numbers to Japan so it could have found it's way back over to the UK later on and then imported over here? A 2.0 litre petrol Avensis would have been rare as hen's teeth here and those that were sold here tended to be fairly high spec ones with leather, sat nav, etc. Either that or the entire dash has been replaced.

IIRC The only difference between a 2.0 and a 1.8 here at the time was the bigger wheels and the wooden inserts in the dash. The leather was an optional pack here.
    As you say they were very rare. They were Camry money at the time.

There’s no locking wheel nuts on that one so I’d be sure it’s not actually UK spec.

Came in in 2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what's the story with nordy repairables, do you still have to pay vrt or is there a loophole?

https://www.donedeal.ie/damagedcars-for-sale/2020-fiat-tipo-s-design-1-4-for-sale/27606269

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

fryup wrote: »
    what's the story with nordy repairables, do you still have to pay vrt or is there a loophole?

https://www.donedeal.ie/damagedcars-for-sale/2020-fiat-tipo-s-design-1-4-for-sale/27606269

Yes, if it's roadworthy still need to pay VRT. They might knock a small amount off due to the damage, but not much.
    If it's not roadworthy, you can get it fixed and pay VAT on the repair, then pay full whack VRT on your lovely repaired car.

I had a notion of bringing an austin mini in from the UK and restoring it, only I would have to pay full VRT on the value of my freshly restored vehicle, even if I had already paid Irish VAT on all the parts and labour.

Advertisement