Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a car for sale thread - part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

The trick with something like that is getting it past SWMBO, as they say.

Best idea would be to just not say anything and land home with it. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

That never ends well... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭fire_man

Is this car worth that Money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

fire_man wrote: »

As it's a private sale of a UK registered car in IRL it's too much of a gamble, they should either sell it in UK or register it here and sell.

It's from a irish dealer and will be registered here.Thats the price.

M

It's from a irish dealer and will be registered here.Thats the price.

Contact details are a mobile number, Arthur Daley territory.

• Advertisement

over priced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I remember back in 2005 (I think) when MGR went bust. We bought a few nearly new MG ZT and ZRs. I think they might have been hire drives, they had half leather and kinda tartan seats. We got them for crazy cheap money at the time.

There used to be a specific clause in the Toyota Dealer Cover warranty that excluded Rovers from cover, such was the perception that they would definitely give head gasket problems.

One of my favourite trade ins was a 3 year old Rover 45 1.6 saloon that came in against an Avensis. It was extremely well minded and had a full tank of petrol. I flew around in it for a few weeks and got quite attached to it. It was way more fun than whatever Avensis or Corolla I had at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I remember back in 2005 (I think) when MGR went bust. We bought a few nearly new MG ZT and ZRs. I think they might have been hire drives, they had half leather and kinda tartan seats. We got them for crazy cheap money at the time.

There used to be a specific clause in the Toyota Dealer Cover warranty that excluded Rovers from cover, such was the perception that they would definitely give head gasket problems.

One of my favourite trade ins was a 3 year old Rover 45 1.6 saloon that came in against an Avensis. It was extremely well minded and had a full tank of petrol. I flew around in it for a few weeks and got quite attached to it. It was way more fun than whatever Avensis or Corolla I had at the time.

Unfortunately they were certainly prone to hg failure. And they weren't the handiest hg to do at the time, a bit time consuming. I did tons of them back then.

Having said that, when they were going well they were a great driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm a bit behind the times but what was the cause of the HG failure? Bad cooling systems or weak head gasket material or other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Impossible to say since you've attached screen caps and no link. No idea what the mileage is, what engine, what history, what options, VRT included, NCT guaranteed?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mg-zr-for-sale/24256778

Another cheap and chancey MG.

Looks very nice and tidy, one owner and claimed service history. Bonus points for being a facelift too.

Sold by a trader, small money, looks like it's already done a test and failed.

I would.

In fact, if it's still advertised tomorrow, I might :pac:.

Run away from this bodybuilder
    Garda already know him...very problematic
    Btw his name is not david

Here you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Wouldn't it be easier to just share a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

I'm a bit behind the times but what was the cause of the HG failure? Bad cooling systems or weak head gasket material or other?

Low capacity of cooling system, a faulty ball valve coupled with stretch bolts that stretched jyst a little too much from new. Coupled with an inherent weakness in the rigidity of the block when sandwiched together.

Reusing the old head bolts and not fixing the ball valve (which made it a bugger to bleed, and left huge air locks) then led to repeated failures which made matters infinitely worse.

Having said that, my father had a 95 rover 414 that never had an issue in 3 years/70k miles. He noticed it would lose coolant if driven in busy traffic early on but, being old school, he just topped it up as required.

However, my sister had a 1.8 freelander that broke her heart. They seemed the worse offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

wEUTQSb.jpg
    lZ4S8dj.jpg
    182 Civic Type R 37grand. Was for sale for €50,000 this time last year. But tbf was pretty much a brand new car.

Some milage on this one. Test drove it this time last year at Clonskeagh motors and it had 250km on the clock! Has been living in the Wicklow area since seen it a couple times on the N11.

Pretty good price I think? VRT on these prior to new rules was 11k.

Was wondering what Toyota they traded it for but think may have been for a Lexus :( I'd forgive them if it was for something fun like a Supra :P

Links lads. What is with all these screenshots these days and the past while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Seems a nice example and not badly priced considering it has a valid mot till May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Links lads. What is with all these screenshots these days and the past while.

It takes way longer to post a screenshot too...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

JDM Wackyness

MjBhOThkNzE0NjMwMGQyMzJhOGMxMzg0Zjg4MTM5ZmL_owdVtALdOo1pZu91YrMlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzk2NzE4NTh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Looks like Honda's answer to the Nissan Cube.

Pity every panel has a different colour of red/orange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

They could have at least cleaned and put a bulb into it before taking photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d hold out for a higher spec.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d hold out for a higher spec.

I will do
    Rgds

M

Asking €25k for a car with an airbag fault, the mind boggles...

ZjM1Njk2ZDQ1YzBmNzQ3ZmFmNmNmNzhhOGJlZjA0Yjk1eBeGvWuXhIgHJ_ZhkKelaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDEwNzA1NTR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300h-finance-99e-week-one-owner-gs-300/24091413

What's peoples thoughts on this? Expensive comes to mind. It is clean but mad money and low milleage but the owners are counting, you will be the forth in Ireland so fifth overall if you decide you fancy throwing money away.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-toyota-celica-t-sport-vvtl-i-192bhp/24232362

YWU2OGRkNjE1YTMwMGRjOTY0ZjIxZjkzYTMzMDkwZWRW2rnoPQ41-ljrnjU6afk-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDIxMjY5ODF8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Also Donedeal must have stopped resizing pics smallish. It is fine on my browser but larger than they used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭jmreire

Looks like Honda's answer to the Nissan Cube.

Pity every panel has a different colour of red/orange!

No, it's the same color all over, its just the effect of the light on the metallic paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

jmreire wrote: »
    No, it's the same color all over, its just the effect of the light on the metallic paint.

My arse it's the one colour.

Honda.jpg

Advertisement