Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a car for sale thread - part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

L-M wrote: »
    The fact it’s a V6?

Meh, is it? It's more of a compact transverse straight 6, even using a single head. The V in VR6 is from the german 'verkürzen' meaning shortened.

It's also heavy for what it is, especially way up front like that. Give me the lighter, tuned 4 cylinder turbo anyday.

If you want a sweet sounding _real_ V6, try a Busso! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Honestly, what is the appeal of the R32? Aren't they 250 bhp, 50 more than a 2.0 GTI that could probably be easily mapped to match or beat that figure.

Have driven a few of them and I have to say they drive very different to a GTi in terms of power delivery IMO and I think a lot of that is how the power is put down being 4motion as opposed to front wheel drive.

The noise is fab too and something you dont usually get in a Gold sized vehicle, they are a lovely car.

I agree though, you'd need to really love a car to put a 2 grand tax disc in the window and I dont know does any kind of Golf no matter how spicey, justify that kind of thing. Particularly when a GTi looks similar, similar power figure on paper, lower purchase price and a third of the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I'll never forget a VR6 Golf/Jetta (I actually forget the car ironically) hoofed passed me on the motorway heading to a VAGE show in Fermoy years ago. Definitely one of the best sounding engines i've ever heard.

Pretty sure the same fella was caught speeding in it that day.

I had a MK3 Golf VR6 in 1999 for a while, it made the best noise. Wasn’t particularly fast but sounded like a touring car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Meh, is it? It's more of a compact transverse straight 6, even using a single head. The V in VR6 is from the german 'verkürzen' meaning shortened.

It's also heavy for what it is, especially way up front like that. Give me the lighter, tuned 4 cylinder turbo anyday.

If you want a sweet sounding _real_ V6, try a Busso! ;-)

If you want to be that technical you can, but it sure doesn't sound anything like a straight 6.

Are you sure that's what the V means?

If you want to be that technical you can, but it sure doesn't sound anything like a straight 6.

The V6 sound is probably down to separate manifold (although on the same side of the block) for each 'group' of 3 cylinders, giving a pair of 3 - 1 exhausts.

They do sound well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

My understanding of V in a V6, V8 engine etc is that the V denotes the way that two cylinder banks are mounted in a V shape profile typically at an angle of around 60 degrees to each other. Now maybe the V in VW VR6 engines means something else but a google search isn't providing such an answer to me and I always assumed it to again denote the cylinder arrangement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

vr6 engine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0LKWt3Ttic

the differing manifold runner lengths may add a bit of harmony to that engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That only V engine with a VR6 is a W12 which is two VR6 engines in a V12 configuration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

As usual everyone is an expert :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I didn't say or imply that I was an expert. In my post I specifically mention what my understanding of a "V" type engine is which Wikipedia will actually validate. Allbeit Wikipedia will explain in a much more eloquent manner to me. I thought I did mention that I thought the "V" in VR6 had the same meaning but believe I left my post in a manner that I was open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,493 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That only V engine with a VR6 is a W12 which is two VR6 engines in a V12 configuration.

the 2 vr6 engines are arranged side by side at an angle so they make a W shape. If they were arranged end to end they would be in a V12 configuration

IMO its not a V Engine unless it has 2 cylinder heads!
    Not that Ive ever owned either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,088 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Which is it?

If it's a w12 then the vr6 is each in a V
    If it's a v12 then the vr6 is a straight 6.

V + V = W
    \ + / = V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Honestly, what is the appeal of the R32? Aren't they 250 bhp, 50 more than a 2.0 GTI that could probably be easily mapped to match or beat that figure.

Noise and 4wd power delivery is about all anyone is ever able to come up with.

I like them but their power to tax to presence ratio is all wrong.

Fella in my local town owned one for years from near new he was very honest about it and didn't downplay the drawbacks. Not being able to outrun a dc5 type R being one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,088 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree, beyond noise and AWD there's not much to it.
    It's not even the best car called R32 anyway... #jdm4life

Noise and 4wd power delivery is about all anyone is ever able to come up with.

I like them but their power to tax to presence ratio is all wrong.

Fella in my local town owned one for years from near new he was very honest about it and didn't downplay the drawbacks. Not being able to outrun a dc5 type R being one of them.

Is that how you measure a car ? It's ability to outrun a honda ? They are only cars, if you are buying one to outrun next lad then you're only going to end up sad and empty inside :D I had a Bora with a VR engine in it and i would laugh at DC5's (when i was younger and more concerned about my ability to outrun hondas of course, it used to keep me up at night)

Seriously though in this country very few cars make sense on a power to tax ratio especially pre 2008 -it's also the worst possible way to judge a car. A dc5 is probably one of the best front wheel drive cars ever made you don't buy one for a smooth engine, nice leather seats and refinement you buy one to rev the hole out of it to experience the V-tec and have your neck snapped back every time you bank it into the next gear, you buy an R32 for different reasons - it's apples and oranges stuff lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

tossy wrote: »
    Is that how you measure a car ? It's ability to outrun a honda ? They are only cars, if you are buying one to outrun next lad then you're only going to end up sad and empty inside :D I had a Bora with a VR engine in it and i would laugh at DC5's (when i was younger and more concerned about my ability to outrun hondas of course, it used to keep me up at night)

Seriously though in this country very few cars make sense on a power to tax ratio especially pre 2008 -it's also the worst possible way to judge a car. A dc5 is probably one of the best front wheel drive cars ever made you don't buy one for a smooth engine, nice leather seats and refinement you buy one to rev the hole out of it to experience the V-tec and have your neck snapped back every time you bank it into the next gear, you buy an R32 for different reasons - it's apples and oranges stuff lads.

I’d love a DC5 or a R32 or even both. I’m obviously confused...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Is that how you measure a car ? It's ability to outrun a honda ? They are only cars, if you are buying one to outrun next lad then you're only going to end up sad and empty inside :D I had a Bora with a VR engine in it and i would laugh at DC5's (when i was younger and more concerned about my ability to outrun hondas of course, it used to keep me up at night) .

God no.

It was merely a throwaway comment the fella I was referring to made about how the r32 didn't quite have the performance to justify it's running costs.

They're lovely cars and I've a soft spot for them I said as much in the above post.

But they're stuck in that 200+bhp real world performance bracket and to me and many others that's not enough to justify the running costs *IF* paying strong money for one.

Realistically they needed to be up there with the 250+ bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

had a Bora with a VR engine in it and i would laugh at DC5's (when i was younger and more concerned about my ability to outrun hondas of course, it used to keep me up at night)

Shur you had to supercharge yours to keep up with mapped 1.9s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Boils my piss when the whole ad is in CAPS and is mostly about the garage.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Shur you had to supercharge yours to keep up with mapped 1.9s

Sssssh :D

maddness wrote: »
    I’d love a DC5 or a R32 or even both. I’m obviously confused...

If you like them all, your doing it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sssssh :D

Fairly sure I was in that with you one day some poor lad pulled up beside you in a VRS.

Anyway, fairly awkward for the other fella.

Fairly sure I was in that with you one day some poor lad pulled up beside you in a VRS.

Anyway, fairly awkward for the other fella.

Might have happened alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-1-0-manual/20690721

OTAxZDkxNzg5ZjFhZDMzZTYxMjQ0MTEwNDIwYzI0ZTL0EacNO4sZU4hbMwNq1uYwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTU0NTQ3NTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

MGRkOWNjY2JlMGMzNzhjN2M2NTVkYTczZTRhNzhmM2bI1bUMLsWaOQW2aQxnALiSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTU0NTQ3NTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Mzk4MDAxNmJjZjliMDA4NGI1MWRlZTliZmQwYWE0ZTh5w_Yu3GmEYAgFIo4B0wmvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTU0NTQ3NTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is strangely alluring! I don't think it gets more basic than this in a 21st century car

You only get half a radio!

See the sticker on the back that says 200kg? Any idea what that’s for, I know the towing capacity on them is 200kg.

Suzuki have 4% market share in Japan, and 53% in India.

Similar one here if you wanna see more close up pics
    https://www.tc-v.com/used_car/suzuki/alto/25329670/?isNew=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Wow, is this the only speaker?

13.jpg?height=525&width=700&type=resize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Cool and all as it is, does it belong in the dreamer thread for €5k though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭fabsoul

wow 5k for that. lol

• Advertisement

Cool and all as it is, does it belong in the dreamer thread for €5k though?

I don’t think he’ll make much out of it when you take VRT, duty, VAT, shipping, Nox, NCT, tyres etc.
    That’s a near bottom of the barrel example, manual, base spec, white, high mileage.

Advertisement