Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What PlayStation games are you playing ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be some realism RE Ireland and it won't be just 'West Britain' with shaman looking 'druid' lads with dodgy accents.

So constantly raining and miserable?

I'll give them some berth on the look, for an action game realistic ringforts and druids of the time would not exactly suit the game. Plus the druids of the time were more into learning and less so combat.

I just want to see what they do with it. Where they go, if there'll be obvious landmarks, figures, etc. From the trailer it looks to be a well contained story, so they might not branch out that much. Only a certain amount you could fit into the 8-10 or so hours it'll add.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Playing FarCry 5 which I'm quite enjoying, it's got a nice relaxed pace to it. Am also playing Tetris Effect. Either it's a lot faster than the Tetris that came with the GameBoy way back when OR.... my reactions have slowed to crap. Still fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Still playing God of War and Wreckfest since christmas...two really good games and both alot of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Finished Spiderman Remastered and the DLC there the other day, going to give NY a break for a bit before I go and play Miles Morales...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Absolutely loving Days Gone currently. I only got back into gaming about 2 years ago, this has hooked like no other game in that time. Sleep is a luxury at the moment!

I completely skipped Days Gone on release - A lot of the Critics panned it for various reasons at the time and I wrongly assumed it was a dud.

Seems to have become a huge sleeper hit since and even better it's been optimised for the PS5 and looks stunning while running smooth as warm butter!

Check it out - I think its cheap as chips on the PS Store at the moment - Am really enjoying it, it just feels like a game that has so much thought and effort poured into every nuance.

It's a lot of entertainment, excitement and plain fun - Hopefully a sequel is in the works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I completely skipped Days Gone on release - A lot of the Critics panned it for various reasons at the time and I wrongly assumed it was a dud.

Seems to have become a huge sleeper hit since and even better it's been optimised for the PS5 and looks stunning while running smooth as warm butter!

Check it out - I think its cheap as chips on the PS Store at the moment - Am really enjoying it, it just feels like a game that has so much thought and effort poured into every nuance.

It's a lot of entertainment, excitement and plain fun - Hopefully a sequel is in the works.
    just started it myself last week.really cant understand how it reviewd so badly.game unreal so far (6 hours in)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

brady12 wrote: »
    just started it myself last week.really cant understand how it reviewd so badly.game unreal so far (6 hours in)

GameSpot gave it 50% :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Finished Days Gone and it’s so good I’m still playing it, even though I need to get back to Miles Morales. A solid 9/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭McFly85

Said it on the other thread, wouldn’t have bought it based on the reviews but loved Days Gone. No idea how it reviewed so badly.

Finished it yesterday and I’m a bit stuck on what to play next-giving Greedfall a go but not sure about it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Spyro Remastered Trilogy. Anyone finish it? Been stuck on the flying challenges forever, looking for help completing them.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    GameSpot gave it 50% :pac:

I keep on seeing comments online where people are saying how the Critics got it so wrong on this game which to a large degree killed the release uptake and almost buried it which would have been a travesty.

Decided to look up the above review out of curiosity just to get an idea of what these Critics were actually saying.

It seems clear to me that this writer really just wanted to get through some portion of the game so she could go ahead and submit her review to the editor and head back to watching Downtown Abbey on Netflix.

I find it hard to believe she actually played the game, most likely she saw it as another unpleasant chore to be completed, looked up prior reviews and decided they fitted her narrative and wrote her crap article.

It's a pity because this Writers own summary on her approach to reviewing games through an "intersectional feminist lens" sounds so apt and appealing to me.

From her LinkedIn page:

As a freelance writer, I wrote game reviews and recorded voice-overs for the accompanying video reviews. In general, I aim to critique games through an intersectional, feminist lens. I also wrote up news stories when needed. - Kellie Plagge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

beertons wrote: »
    Spyro Remastered Trilogy. Anyone finish it? Been stuck on the flying challenges forever, looking for help completing them.

my young lad needs help on something. can i pm you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

playing Call of duty, not the latest one , think its modern warfare on ps5

looks great and plays great. i love a good team deathmatch!

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Decided to look up the above review out of curiosity just to get an idea of what these Critics were actually saying.

I had a read of it myself, and I'll be honest, I agree with a lot of it. I didn't get as far as she is claiming to have gotten, but up to where I got I couldn't disagree with her. To me there was no reason to keep going. Everything was just meh and nothing was forcing me forward. Even with 1 or 2 tank upgrades on the bike, the gas situation was still annoying me enough to not want to go back.

As much as a lot of people liked it, I'm not one of those even though I thought it would be a game I'd like. Two attempts and just can't get into it at all. The gas tank being the main gripe (knowing full well that IRL bike fuel lasts far, far longer. It was so short it's unbelievable).
    beertons wrote: »

Aye, have the plat. Some of those were tough, but YouTube helped me (either old videos from the original or new ones from the remake, they're the same).
    akelly02 wrote: »
    my young lad needs help on something. can i pm you?

I'm terrible for replying to PM's, but ask here if you wish! Or in the Spyro Remastered thread.

I had a read of it myself, and I'll be honest, I agree with a lot of it. I didn't get as far as she is claiming to have gotten, but up to where I got I couldn't disagree with her. To me there was no reason to keep going. Everything was just meh and nothing was forcing me forward. Even with 1 or 2 tank upgrades on the bike, the gas situation was still annoying me enough to not want to go back.

As much as a lot of people liked it, I'm not one of those even though I thought it would be a game I'd like. Two attempts and just can't get into it at all. The gas tank being the main gripe (knowing full well that IRL bike fuel lasts far, far longer. It was so short it's unbelievable).

If you thought you'd like it originally then maybe take a break for a bit and go back to it in time on the PS5. With the performance and graphical upgrades its a really stunning game on the new hardware. Think its 4k @ 60 fps - Has very low load times too.

I've picked up games and ditched them so many times because the start was too slow and I just didn't put the time in - Witcher 3 and RDR2 are still awaiting me I confess.....

You do see people criticising the gas constraints - In fairness though at the start of a progression style game you're kinda supposed to be limited and then grow into it. I actually like that you can't just cruise around the map burning gas without any issue. This is balanced then by every tow truck having 1/2 gas cans on it, they're scattered randomly around the map near houses etc and then there's the gas stations where you don't even have to get off your bike to refuel.

You've an icon telling you when you need to watch for an opportunity to refuel & often this detour brings you into a fight with marauding Zombies which feels authentic to me. Or when your tank runs dry and you have to abandon your bike running and gunning to desperately escape a horde of 300 Zombies etc.

As for your mention of " no reason to keep going" that is very hard to understand when you're offered such a large list of tasks, goals, quests/side quests all of which can be done in any order depending on what you're in the mood for.

I really disagree too about the meh comment - For me this game has so much work, effort and thought put into it, right down to all the little details.

Different strokes and all that. I tried it on the Pro when it came out, got about 5/6 hours in and just stopped out of "mehness", it wasn't making me want to keep playing. Tried it again recently on the 5 and got a bit further but still, meh. I know there are tasks, etc, but it just wasn't engaging enough (to me) to want to keep going. All the tasks, etc just had a busywork feel to them.

The two camps, as noted in the article, it doesn't matter which one you do whatever with. The game makes me feel like picking one over the other should have consequences, but it doesn't. It's just a case of "Do you prefer guns or bikes". Her comment on the third one makes them seem even more redundant. And the gas, I just think the limitation was too strict. It tries to keep realism in some areas, but then decides that a bike, even a junker, would have less mileage than a Hypercar, with none of the performance. I understand progression, but this felt like a penalty for the sake of progression, rather than something natural. There are better ways to limit player movement in open world games, giving a bike 1mpg is not one of them imo.

Visually a lovely looking game, just doesn't do it for me. Tried twice now across 2 gens and 5/6+ hours min on each. Like the Souls games, I think that's more than enough to know if it's for you or not, and it's not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

Playing nier automata which is quite enjoyable, want to give assassin's creed Valhalla a go but ca t justify the price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'm playing through Ghosts of Tsushima at the moment. Heard great things about it and it seemed to review well. I'm about ten hours in, and so far it's struggling to grip me. It looks beautiful on the PS5 and the scenery is stunning. I'm still on the first island but I'm finding the game way too easy and the story is pretty uninspiring.

Anyone here experience something similar? Is it worth ploughing on for a change in narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Notorious wrote: »
    I'm playing through Ghosts of Tsushima at the moment. Heard great things about it and it seemed to review well. I'm about ten hours in, and so far it's struggling to grip me. It looks beautiful on the PS5 and the scenery is stunning. I'm still on the first island but I'm finding the game way too easy and the story is pretty uninspiring.

Anyone here experience something similar? Is it worth ploughing on for a change in narrative?

I just finished it and loved the game but am a bit of a wanderer and did all the side quests i came across so was way overpowered towards the end of the game.
    The story develops really well however IMO and has some great moments that for someone who missed the entire ps4 generation of games blew me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Finished God of War and Wreckfest over the weekend. Two really good games, really enjoyed God of War.

Moving onto Medievil remaster and kingdom come deliverance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Arkham Asylum and loving it. Can't believe left it in the backlog for so long, have the others in the series to look forward to too when I'm done. The Scarecrow levels, altho simple to complete when you figure them out, are particularly well done

• Registered Users Posts: 16 harmarsuperlar

Donated my PS4 to a hospital before Christmas cos I *thought* I'd be getting a PS5 quickly, lol! But now that I am getting one soon, I can finally play Yakuza Like a Dragon. Can't bloody wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Played Demon Souls on the ps5 for the last few weeks and on NG+ now and about to finish it a second time.

Definitely the game I've enjoyed the most in the last few years. Anyone thinking of buying it, go for it.

I'm going to give it a few more play throughs as well and try different builds.

Looks absolutely stunning on the PS5. Really gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

amadablam wrote: »
    Played Demon Souls on the ps5 for the last few weeks and on NG+ now and about to finish it a second time.

Definitely the game I've enjoyed the most in the last few years. Anyone thinking of buying it, go for it.

I'm going to give it a few more play throughs as well and try different builds.

Looks absolutely stunning on the PS5. Really gorgeous!

I got it with my bundle I just really can't get into it and here you are saying you are going to play through a few more times ha ha am I missing something ??

I'd be willing to swap for another game if anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Arkham Asylum and loving it. Can't believe left it in the backlog for so long, have the others in the series to look forward to too when I'm done. The Scarecrow levels, altho simple to complete when you figure them out, are particularly well done

Just done the Croc level, reminded me of Mr X in RE2, class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Playing Days Gone on the PS5, never played it before on the PS4, and wow loving the game not sure why it got such bad reviews. It feels very much like uncharted but open world with zombies, well to me anyways. Maybe thats gotta so with it being developed by sony bend, they did uncharted on vita if I remember correctly.

Anyways love it, stealth feels very smooth and not stupid hard, the characters are good and the story so far enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Got to final boss of Immortals Fenyx Rising and I give up, I have to go back 3 hours to level up because the boss before this I finished with ease so assumed I would defeat this one handy enough..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lego Incredibles and Lego Marvel Superhero's.

Got both about 3 weeks ago. Finished up the Incredibles a week ago. Second one only started on Friday. I haven't a clue who all the characters are, thankfully the young lad is clued in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

popsy09 wrote: »
    I got it with my bundle I just really can't get into it and here you are saying you are going to play through a few more times ha ha am I missing something ??

I'd be willing to swap for another game if anyone interested

I guess it's one of those games that you either love or hate.

Looks stunning though and I enjoyed playing around with builds. Great worlds to explore and huge variety of enemies.

Lots of side quests and loot to get through too.

You just have to get used to seeing the words...... 'You Died'....quite regularly :D

but seeing 'Demon Vanquished' gives you the motivation to keep going back.

FhWEDKP.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭joficeduns1

Started God of War last night after the PS5 update. What a bargain to get it included with the PS+ Collection. Figured I could play it on my monitor (1440p/144Hz) most of the time but also can play it remotely on the PS4 to continue the story on the 65" downstairs. Well done Sony.

Advertisement