Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What PlayStation games are you playing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I am playing the bejesus out of Spiderman of late, it's some game to be fair... Currently I am working through the various side missions/collectables before going back to the main mission, these are quite enjoyable and doesn't feel like a grind like in other games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

gimli2112 wrote: »
    there's just too much to play with remasters and sales. I bought the 3 batman games recently I'd played through Asylum on the PS3 years ago and remembered it fondly. Got to a bit right before the final boss and got killed a few times. It was a crappy fight in a room with loads of npcs. Rather than persevere I deleted it in a fit of pique. I'm happy now though as I've been able to use "fit of pique" in a sentence.

I also picked up Bioshock collection. I've tried several times to play the first one but could never get into it. I'm having the same issue now. Still it was only €9. There's just other things I'd prefer to play.

Bioshock collection is one of my all time favourite game series. I initially played the 2nd one first, then Infinite and then went back to the first one. Maybe you could try something like that? I would highly recommend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

actuar90 wrote: »
    Playing hellblade senuas sacrifice, had heard good things but finding it repetitive and think I'm not going to finish it. Have just beaten Surtr, does it change much from there at all?

Have started into the Witcher 3 for the first time instead

The games doesn't really introduce much in the way of new mechanics after that point. It more of the puzzle solving thing, spotting patterns in the environment and such. A bit more combat in the closing levels that can get a bit repetitive. I thought it a good game overall and definitely something different.

Envy anyone just getting into Witcher 3 for the first time, a better more coherently structured open world you will no find. I've about 230 hrs put into it between main game and expansions and have a NG+ started on Deathmarch which I dip in and out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Bioshock is certainly a good game, there's just too many people like it. Some of the graphics and gameplay are a bit dated now which I don't find to be a problem, it just never clicked with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bioshock is certainly a good game, there's just too many people like it. Some of the graphics and gameplay are a bit dated now which I don't find to be a problem, it just never clicked with me.

I think the story in the first one was really good and the way it played with notions of free will in a linear narrative was deftly handled. The gameplay has probably dated a bit now - haven't played it recently so don't know - but the graphics still look great and work well with the Art Deco style of Rapture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Finally started shadow of war. It's good enough but I'm only 15 hours in so we shall see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

The Golf Club 2019. Was down to €20 in the store. Enjoying it. Learning curve is quite tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Finally started shadow of war. It's good enough but I'm only 15 hours in so we shall see

I really liked shadow of war but surely after 15 hours you'd be able to tell if it's gonna be a great game or not?

I resisted playing uncharted 1 and now I'm 2/3's way through, I'm enjoying it overall. I finished mother Russia bleeds and it was just that button smasher I needed ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

dulpit wrote: »
    I am playing the bejesus out of Spiderman of late, it's some game to be fair... Currently I am working through the various side missions/collectables before going back to the main mission, these are quite enjoyable and doesn't feel like a grind like in other games...

It's a top tier game, almost all of the content is pitch perfect in it. I'm into the 2nd DLC episode at this stage with 92% completion of main game and 100% completion of The Heist. The side quests and collectable missions are constantly entertaining and the combat as you level and get more moves, gadgets etc, is fresh and fun. I'll be interested to see if it holds up with a NG+ but it is keeping my attention. Really glad I got a PS4, it was one of the exclusive titles that attracted me to it and hasn't disappointed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Nijmegen wrote: »
    It's a top tier game, almost all of the content is pitch perfect in it. I'm into the 2nd DLC episode at this stage with 92% completion of main game and 100% completion of The Heist. The side quests and collectable missions are constantly entertaining and the combat as you level and get more moves, gadgets etc, is fresh and fun. I'll be interested to see if it holds up with a NG+ but it is keeping my attention. Really glad I got a PS4, it was one of the exclusive titles that attracted me to it and hasn't disappointed.

I thought the amount of random crimes you had to complete got extremely tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I thought the amount of random crimes you had to complete got extremely tedious.

"Had to" is a bit strong I'd say. You can just swing on by and ignore them if you like. What I found in the early game was that I'd not be using fast travel, and swinging between missions or bases or whatever you'd encounter something to do. While you need various tokens to buff up your gear I'm fairly sure if you just did a straight run through the main missions you'd have what you need to complete the game on XP and skills alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Nijmegen wrote: »
    "Had to" is a bit strong I'd say. You can just swing on by and ignore them if you like. What I found in the early game was that I'd not be using fast travel, and swinging between missions or bases or whatever you'd encounter something to do. While you need various tokens to buff up your gear I'm fairly sure if you just did a straight run through the main missions you'd have what you need to complete the game on XP and skills alone.

Sorry I should have clarified that I meant they are extremely tedious when going for the platinum trophy. You're correct that most can be ignored if you just want to do the story missions. I found there were was quite a lot of filler in the game but I suppose that's the case in the majority of open world games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

ronano wrote: »
    I really liked shadow of war but surely after 15 hours you'd be able to tell if it's gonna be a great game or not?

I resisted playing uncharted 1 and now I'm 2/3's way through, I'm enjoying it overall. I finished mother Russia bleeds and it was just that button smasher I needed ATM.

It's a good game to be sure but I'm only getting into the army building bit so yet to be seen how great

Picked up Bloodborne again for the first time in a few months. Spent 2 hours playing it......still at the same backstard lamp I started at :mad:

beating the Cleric Beast was a watershed moment for me from then on anything was possible

beating the Cleric Beast was a watershed moment for me from then on anything was possible

I got advice from you on Gascoine a while back Gimli and it served me well. I'm in Old Yarnham at the part where the dude is on the tower with the gattling gun. I managed to get up and blast him off the tower which I was well pleased with until I found out that the better option is to befriend him.

I'm descending into the building he was on top of but I keep getting mobbed and there's a few different paths as far as I can tell and not sure which is the right one. I unlocked a gate for a shortcut so if I can find that again that should help. I tried the classic Souls tactic of legging it but there's too many ads there and I keep getting cornered cos I have no clue what direction to go. No clue how far the next lamp is or if I have to fight that areas boss to get to it, might need to consult a guide :confused:

There is a boss in that area (blood starved beast), there is a fair few enemies and the difficulty does ramp up a bit where you are at. Obviously it's a lot easier once you've levelled up but at the start it's a bit of a mare. Knocking the guy off the roof helps, I think if you start attacking monsters even after befriending him he starts shooting at you again.

It's just a matter of taking it slowly, having the battles in areas you're comfortable. There's also a hunter beneath the other npc who's best avoided at low levels. On the plus side you'll earn a lot of blood stuff (jesus how long ago did I play this?) to rank up. The two handed axe transformation is very useful here and throughout the game to be honest.

The boss battle is not for the feint hearted. One of the many occasions I yelled at my tv. There is a couple of shortcuts that will help. One you have unlocked and one a little further on.

There is a boss in that area (blood starved beast), there is a fair few enemies and the difficulty does ramp up a bit where you are at. Obviously it's a lot easier once you've levelled up but at the start it's a bit of a mare. Knocking the guy off the roof helps, I think if you start attacking monsters even after befriending him he starts shooting at you again.

It's just a matter of taking it slowly, having the battles in areas you're comfortable. There's also a hunter beneath the other npc who's best avoided at low levels. On the plus side you'll earn a lot of blood stuff (jesus how long ago did I play this?) to rank up. The two handed axe transformation is very useful here and throughout the game to be honest.

The boss battle is not for the feint hearted. One of the many occasions I yelled at my tv. There is a couple of shortcuts that will help. One you have unlocked and one a little further on.

I'm hoping he's not as hard as Gascoine (which I eventually cheesed). Had a look at a guide and it looks like I've covered most of the area in some way or another, although the latter stages were probably me just sprinting through being chased by an a$$load of monsters.

Find boss fights fairly stressful, not so much cos of the boss itself, more so because they generally put them at the end of the area and have to run through the whole area again to receive your next hammering.

I've just been legging it from that other hunter and haven't tried to tackle him yet. Using Sawcleaver which I think I've leveled to +2. Will try beat this area and see how far I get, feels like I've been playing in the same area since I started the game.

the bosses themselves aren't too bad but I think you have to have a certain mindset. I get unrealistically frustrated when I get killed by one but with a little patience you can learn their patterns and overcome them. I just don't have the patience, I ended up co-opping many of them at a time there were a lot of players, when I didn't really need to.
    I solo'd Ludwig and Lady Maria for example who were pretty horrible. First time I came up against Amygedala solo'd no fuss then on the next play through she beat me over and over and over........... the defiled dungeon one oh god the memories

the bosses themselves aren't too bad but I think you have to have a certain mindset. I get unrealistically frustrated when I get killed by one but with a little patience you can learn their patterns and overcome them. I just don't have the patience, I ended up co-opping many of them at a time there were a lot of players, when I didn't really need to.
    I solo'd Ludwig and Lady Maria for example who were pretty horrible. First time I came up against Amygedala solo'd no fuss then on the next play through she beat me over and over and over........... the defiled dungeon one oh god the memories

Tend to get an urge every few months to play a Souls game or BloodBorne myself, make a bit of progress and drop it again. You would want to be in the mood for them.

Spent the evening just casually exploring the area I'm in now and getting a feel for where I'm going. Also found a werewolf near the lantern so killed him a few dozen times and have gone up about 5 levels mainly levelling Vitality and Strength. Much more comfortable now with the standard mobs and dishing out a good bit more damage, even killed that hunter that's legging around the lower area first attempt.

Cheers for the advice, will be back in a few months for more when I reach next area :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Finished Detroit: Become Human over the weekend. All though there's very little actual gameplay in those games, I can't fault anything about the story. I was hooked on it! It's great talking to other people who played it and how different their story went too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just finished Far Cry 5 which I found a bit of a chore by the end. Had taken a break with it halfway through when I picked up Days Gone which I really enjoyed. I think I was a bit burnt out with open worlds going back to Far Cry so there wasn't a great deal of enthusiasm finishing it. Moved on to Bulletstorm and finished that last night which was a complete blast. It's one of the few games I've played through fully twice - a great little campaign. I think I'll probably play Detroit next and then finally get around to playing Dishonored -Death of the Outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have been playing Borderlands The Handsome Collection the last few weeks. Completed everything I wanted to do in it and am now sufficiently hyped for Borderlands 3. Just don't know what to move onto next; Days Gone, Detroit or maybe Yakuza Kiwami 2 (as it's been over 6 months I'd say since I played a Yakuza game).

I never got into the Yakuza games but thoroughly enjoyed DBH and Days Gone for very different reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Days Gone is superb, can highly recommend it

Decided to go with Detroit just since it's a completely different type/pace of game and I can probably knock it out quicker than Days Gone.

Played maybe just over an hour. Enjoying it so far. As I found with Heavy Rain, half the time it's just coming up with stuff for you to do so you actually have to input something before the story continues to play out, but it seems fairly good so far regardless.

Penn wrote: »
    Decided to go with Detroit just since it's a completely different type/pace of game and I can probably knock it out quicker than Days Gone.

Played maybe just over an hour. Enjoying it so far. As I found with Heavy Rain, half the time it's just coming up with stuff for you to do so you actually have to input something before the story continues to play out, but it seems fairly good so far regardless.

Finished over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Once the story kicked in to a stronger gear there was a lot more variety in what you're doing and why which kept it interesting. The character performances were great throughout, even most of the side characters. It suffers from the same problem this type of game always does, but it copes with it all well enough. The story (even with how much you can influence/change it) is standard enough fare and not really that surprising, but there were a lot of little moments which really made the game.

Delighted it was part of PS+. Nearly bought it when it was on sale a couple of times but was dubious. Not sure if it's worth full price, but worth playing through if you can get it cheap/free.

Think it's about time to start getting ready for Days Gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Dragon Quest Xl

My first DQ game and I’m absolutely loving it so far. Beautiful graphics, great soundtrack, voice acting and story. Loving the battle system too.

Put on Dead Space 2 last night man it's fun. Also playing Bioshock atm and Borderlands 2. It's like I've gone back in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Started playing RDR 2 last week but I'm struggling to enjoy it. The world and the characters are amazing but the gameplay feels like a chore. So I decided to put it to the end of my backlog and started Watch Dogs 2 instead.

Advertisement