Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying and getting installed a stereo from Halfords.

• 29-06-2018 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Would you recommend them?
    I bought a 2003 Corolla and want to upgrade the
    dated factory stereo so I have hands free calling and can stream music from my android phone.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I've bought two stereos off them so far with no issues.
    As regards installation I did that myself. Only experience I have is when they installed my fathers hands free kit they caught a cable in a trim clip and damaged the black insulation on it but everything did still work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Do their stereos read out text messages and emails?

Do their stereos read out text messages and emails?

What I bought didn't but surely they should have something like this. Speak to them in your local would be the best advice here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It isn't difficult to fit a head unit to one of those. The most difficult part will be running the cable from the mic to the back of the head unit and even that is pretty straightfoward.

You will need to buy a fascia adaptor and a harness adapter in order to fit the head unit. If your car is a luna model with the steering controls you will also need another lead but only if you want to retain controls. If you don't it isn't necessary.

The original head unit is bolted in so you will need to remove the center console fascia and the heater control fascia to get to the bolts.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It isn't difficult to fit a head unit to one of those. The most difficult part will be running the cable from the mic to the back of the head unit and even that is pretty straightfoward.

You will need to buy a fascia adaptor and a harness adapter in order to fit the head unit. If your car is a luna model with the steering controls you will also need another lead but only if you want to retain controls. If you don't it isn't necessary.

The original head unit is bolted in so you will need to remove the center console fascia and the heater control fascia to get to the bolts.

There is one bolt in the bottom middle section that can be difficult but as JohnBoy26 has said its fairly straight forward. You can attach the microphone to the liner where the rear view mirror is, tuck that cable in the liner towards the drivers side pillar, you can pull this off, run the cable down and use some wire to get it under the dash to where the head unit will be.
    As JohnBoy26 said its an easy enough job overall.

• Advertisement

My car has a hands free kit installed but it was for a nokia phone of some sort. There is a microphone attached ready to use.

Is there any way I could get a unit attached to this that would allow bluetooth, texts and emails to be read out. I have volume controls on the steering wheel but no bluetooth.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is a Corolla e12 Android headunit available, think it’s around €400 though. Looks very neat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

I've looking at getting an independent installer

Halfords haven't a great rep on the installation side of things

They can’t really get an old Corolla wrong, the main thing you’d worry about is scratching plastic panels, which isn’t easily done on an old Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

You'd want a head unit with android on it. I have a double din facsia for an e12 if you need one

• Advertisement

Would it cost much to put in the stereo plus the rear view camera kit?

The rear reversing sensors seem to have stopped working on mine though it does first make a noise when reverse gear is engaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I think the previous owner had a hands free kit but took it out and left the mic . Is this a microphone? The driver side speaker also doesn't work. Hopefully that wont be an issue.
    I had an Auto electrician quote me a price of 240 euro for a stereo unit and fitting. The same unit was 120 euros at Halfords. So 120 euro for fitting it.

uScS5mp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

To be honest you'd fit the stereo yourself in an hour, it's pretty easy to do

I’ve had 2 fitted over the last few years, one was in a 09 golf (head unit & subwoofer) guy did a great job, 2nd was touchscreen Jonnie in a VW up and the sub from the golf ( nearly filled the whole boot 😊) sound was great but he had a lot of trouble fitting the head unit, very little room for wires at the back. So took him almost 4hrs. But sound was great. I would use them again.

I think the previous owner had a hands free kit but took it out and left the mic . Is this a microphone? The driver side speaker also doesn't work. Hopefully that wont be an issue.
    I had an Auto electrician quote me a price of 240 euro for a stereo unit and fitting. The same unit was 120 euros at Halfords. So 120 euro for fitting it.

uScS5mp.jpg
    That looks like a microphone from an old Nokia car kit.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That looks like a microphone from an old Nokia car kit.

Possibly a ck-7w kit by the looks of it.

They were good back then but not the best now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I had the Auto electrician install the stereo in the end. Yeah, he said the mic was from an old Nokia car kit. He didn't use it though. He used the one that came with the JVC.

I had the Auto electrician install the stereo in the end. Yeah, he said the mic was from an old Nokia car kit. He didn't use it though. He used the one that came with the JVC.

Better off that he didn't to be honest. The newer mic would have been better quality

Advertisement