Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

After playing a pretty good set, this is a terrible tie breaker from Anderson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

That will soften their cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well Done Novak .

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Djokovic is back, think it's safe to say. 4 wimbledons is pretty impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Absolutely delighted for Djoko!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The big 3 have won 45 of the last 53 Slams.

They have been on another planet compared to the rest of the field over the past 13 years

Including Murray and Wawrinka its 51 out of 53

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Good to see Djokovic back amongst the winners. He's come a long way since the Sunshine swing (IW & Miami). If I've learnt anything from following tennis for the last 15 years or so, it's that you can never write-off a member of the Big 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

xtltd1hucx911.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The US Open should be something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

The US Open should be something else.

Pfft ... Dunno ... still can't see Nadal lose that one ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pero_Bueno wrote: »

Nole on form surely can challenge or beat him? Very far from a sure thing..

It'll be on my TV.

Mine too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Also mine.......

It's been on Sky for 20+ years. Being on Amazon is no different. You're simply paying a different provider.

They are looking to get the best commercial return possible. That's what they did. There's no "should" be looking to anything. We not talking one organisation here either. Wimbledon is the AE Club. US Open is the USTA.

They are organised by the respective governing bodies and the AE Club, not the ATP Tour. It's a matter of balance. Like any commercial organisation they have to balance growth ambitions against the need for immediate cashflow.

No way in hell would any free to air station in Ireland or the UK be able match the likes of Sky or Amazon for an event like the US Open. Tennis is a comparatively minor sport and the US Open timetable is ****e for people this side of the Atlantic.

To be honest, i think you're taking a very naive and idealistic view of the whole thing. There's no scandal here. No dereliction of duty or shirking responsibility etc. On the contrary, the USTA can argue that the bigger the financial windfall it gets, the more it can pump into grassroots tennis in the US etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Delighted for Nole!! (sorry late to the party)
    Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Nadal is far behind Nole/Fed as favourite for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Delighted for Nole!! (sorry late to the party)

Nadal is far behind Nole/Fed as favourite for this.

I'd have Nadal ahead of Federer for the US, with both behind Novak. Federer, going by what I've seen of him, has gone backwards since last year, while Nadal has improved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It's been on Sky for 20+ years. Being on Amazon is no different. You're simply paying a different provider.

Ah balls ,I thought it was going to be on Eurosport .:(
    Seems Amazon have the Uk rights ,not to bother ,I will watch it on Eurosport Spain or Poland.:cool:

• Advertisement

I'd have Nadal ahead of Federer for the US, with both behind Novak. Federer, going by what I've seen of him, has gone backwards since last year, while Nadal has improved

I think so. Nadal and Nole are neck and neck. There was literally a bounce of a ball between them yesterday. Nadal seems to still have that insane intensity. Nole coming back to peak levels. I just can’t see a 37 year old Fed beating either at Flushing Meadows, should all three progress...

Paddy Power has all three at “3/1.”

Nole 3/1, Nadal at 10-3 and Fed at 7/2

Don't forget the impact the wind can have at FM either. It can absolutely wreak havoc.

walshb wrote: »
    I think so. Nadal and Nole are neck and neck. There was literally a bounce of a ball between them yesterday. Nadal seems to still have that insane intensity. Nole coming back to peak levels. I just can’t see a 37 year old Fed beating either at Flushing Meadows, should all three progress...

Ye I think Nadal is playing as well as he can at the moment, while there is still some further improvement in Djokovic. There may not be, and I hope not, in the sense we get another close Nadal-Djokovic game. Wouldn't like Novak to straight set him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Jaysus didn’t realize Eurosport don’t have US Open this year! Disaster. I’ll be seeing none of it so, other than the 2 days I’m actually there at Flushing Meadows.

walshb wrote: »

With age into consideration, I think you guys underestimate Fed. I remember watching endless Nadal/Nole matches in 2011 and thinking this is an insane level that no one can reach, which it was, only for Federer to go on and dismantle Novak in the FO semi 2011. Federer takes so much time away from the opposition because of how early he hits the ball. Nole/Nadal stand so far behind the baseline. As epic as the SW19 semi between them was, it simply wouldn't happen against this new Federer regardless of the Anderson result. Roger said in the presser that he had a day where (in other words) 'I wasn't feeling it, sometimes we have off days, luckily it doesn't happen to me very often but today it did'. I believe him. Could be wrong of course, but yeah.

With age into consideration, I think you guys underestimate Fed. I remember watching endless Nadal/Nole matches in 2011 and thinking this is an insane level that no one can reach, which it was, only for Federer to go on and dismantle Novak in the FO semi 2011. Federer takes so much time away from the opposition because of how early he hits the ball. Nole/Nadal stand so far behind the baseline. As epic as the SW19 semi between them was, it simply wouldn't happen against this new Federer regardless of the Anderson result. Roger said in the presser that he had a day where (in other words) 'I wasn't feeling it, sometimes we have off days, luckily it doesn't happen to me very often but today it did'. I believe him. Could be wrong of course, but yeah.

As in Federer would beat them, or the game would just be shorter? If Nadal or Djokovic play well, they beat Federer.

As in Federer would beat them, or the game would just be shorter? If Nadal or Djokovic play well, they beat Federer.
    Don't agree at all. It all depends on form/fitness etc. with the top 3. In 2017 Federer would've beaten both of these guys IMO. Too heavily attacking for either of them. I still think Fed has the level to beat both, no doubt about it. If USO comes and Fed meets Nadal as an example, my moneys on Fed. Too aggressive on fast courts for him to live with. Rafa was simply blown away in IW 2017. Roger played **** in Miami same year and still won in straights. But I go back to my point again; Roger is underestimated because he wasn't in contention here at Wimbly.

Don't agree at all. It all depends on form/fitness etc. with the top 3. In 2017 Federer would've beaten both of these guys IMO. Too heavily attacking for either of them. I still think Fed has the level to beat both, no doubt about it. If USO comes and Fed meets Nadal as an example, my moneys on Fed. Too aggressive on fast courts for him to live with. Rafa was simply blown away in IW 2017. Roger played **** in Miami same year and still won in straights. But I go back to my point again; Roger is underestimated because he wasn't in contention here at Wimbly.

I would have put any amount of money on Federer beating Nadal from last year, up until recently. This year Nadal has seemingly grown in confidence, looks fitter again, made a few adjustments and improvements to his game and has gone up a few levels. When Nadal is in this form, he usually has Federer's number, and Novak his. Novak or Nadal will beat Federer comfortably imo

I would have put any amount of money on Federer beating Nadal from last year, up until recently. This year Nadal has seemingly grown in confidence, looks fitter again, made a few adjustments and improvements to his game and has gone up a few levels. When Nadal is in this form, he usually has Federer's number, and Novak his. Novak or Nadal will beat Federer comfortably imo
    One thing I've noticed is Nadal has his serve 2010 mojo back. I was also impressed with how more inclined to be aggressive he was and not moonball in a rally against Novak.

I'm not saying Rafa can't beat Fed. Anything can happen in sport. However, the adjustment Federer made to his backhand is simply far too great (in my eyes) that Rafa can't trouble now like he could before. For many years coach Toni Nadal's plan was to attack the RF BH and it worked, then Roger switched rackets and revamped his BH in 2017 and could hit clean winners off it. Naturally, Nadal started hitting to the FH because he was getting no joy with the BH side. It changes the whole dynamic of the rallies.

Fed is 30-2 in GS since his comeback at the AO. He took peak 2011 Nole to USO brink and beat him at the FO 2011. I believe he's a better player now because of his changes to his game. Saying he can't beat these guys at their peak is absolute rubbish.

• Advertisement

I’ve written Fed off several times, and he comes back to win big. Just think his recent year to 18 months of form has dipped and dropped...

I also think the top three are going to find it tougher, and will need to fight harder than ever to make slam finals..all 30 + now..

Advertisement