Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I I've watched a few of his matches (and looked back over some of the highlights) and he still isn't quite the peak Djokovic of 2011/2015-2016.
    l.

Agree with this, only I think Nadal is also some way off his 2011/2016 level as well (as is Federer, as is Del Potro, and all the other old fogies)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

lostcat wrote: »
    Agree with this, only I think Nadal is also some way off his 2011/2016 level as well (as is Federer, as is Del Potro, and all the other old fogies)

Nadal was useless in 2016. He's definitely at a far higher level in 2017/18 as he was in 2015/16. But he's not at the level of his best years, I agree there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

sxt wrote: »
    Wow the women's game isn't in great shape if a clearly unfit 37 year old can stroll to the final

Dont know about that. She doesn't look "clearly" unfit to my eyes anyway, obviously she would have lacked match sharpness coming in, but when you're one of the best players in the history of the game, that doesn't have to be much of an insurmountable barrier. And she's actually 36, I believe, whatever difference that makes. I think the games in ok shape really, maybe not a vintage tournament, but two great former champions in the final should make for an interesting climax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nole has Nadal's number, or at least had it more than not the past 5-6 years....

Nole is strong, hungry and relentless. I expect him to be too clinical for Nadal tomorrow. Nole in 4

63, 75, 46, 63

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

walshb wrote: »
    Nole has Nadal's number, or at least had it more than not the past 5-6 years....

Nole is strong, hungry and relentless. I expect him to be too clinical for Nadal tomorrow. Nole in 4

63, 75, 46, 63

And Nadal has had his the last 18 months since his own fall from grace etc etc.

This is the best Djokovic has looked for about two years and is the biggest test of his comeback.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I'm calling it for Nadal tomorrow. Could be a long one though.

I think Anderson will have too much for Isner. This will be an interesting match in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Going for Nole in 3 or 4. 4 maybe, because the ground is like dry clay. Anyone but Nadal for SW19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Going for Nole in 3 or 4. 4 maybe, because the ground is like dry clay. Anyone but Nadal for SW19.
    Every match he plays should be cherished, particularly at Wimbledon. Another sublime masterclass yesterday but this can't go on forever. We'll never see his likes again.

I agree mickmackey1 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

walshb wrote: »

63, 75, 46, 63

That is a good call as usual walshb

I think in this match, there are so many variables involved
    If djkovic wins the first set, he win probably win in 4. If it's goes to 5 he will definitely win

Can Nadal recover from a 5 hour semi final match.? If he can recover and win the first set he may have a slight mental edge?
    And push on.. . A slight possibility of a straight sets win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

Dont know about that. She doesn't look "clearly" unfit to my eyes anyway, obviously she would have lacked match sharpness coming in, but when you're one of the best players in the history of the game, that doesn't have to be much of an insurmountable barrier. And she's actually 36, I believe, whatever difference that makes. I think the games in ok shape really, maybe not a vintage tournament, but two great former champions in the final should make for an interesting climax.

Serena is probably the best female player of all time. Her serve was amazing. If kerber plays great in the final and moves her around for close to two hours she could be the Victor,. Serena is not close to 85%fitness.Big if I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

First two sets of Anderson split on tiebreaks. Hopefully they keep it up for a while until I get home so I can see the full Nadal/Djokovic match :)

On the issue of tiebreaks, statistically it is a lottery who wins, no player has ever won that many more than they lost over the course of a career, so these two might have as well tossed a coin twice to decide who won the first two sets.

Raonic surged into the top 5 in the world a few years ago purely on the back of wining more than his fair share of tiebreaks over a season. His subsequent dip is down to the law of averages coming into play.

sxt wrote: »
    Serena is probably the best female player of all time. Her serve was amazing. If kerber plays great in the final and moves her around for close to two hours she could be the Victor,. Serena is not close to 85%fitness.Big if I know

One thing for certain there won't be any intimidation factor as far as Kerber is concerned, fairly certain she'll play her game and she generally plays ok against Williams in big matches. Still cant say I've seen any obvious fitness issues with Williams though has to be said she's had a fairly soft run to the final so can still why a question mark would remain there. Doubtful it'll be what ultimately beats her, though, if Kerber indeed does prevail.

At this rate I'd say they're on track for a 6pm finish at the earliest, unless someone gets a sprint on and takes the match by the scruff. Its not that they're going to tiebreaks, but they're taking an age to get there. Seems to be loads of deuce games. I'm simply flicking over on the hour just to catch the tie breaks!

....And, of course, right on cue there's a break! First break on Isner serve all tournament...a miracle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

And there it is ,the first break.
    Isner broken for the first time in 110 service games !

Dublin buses...

Haha madness. This is great I'll get to watch the start of the Nole/Rafa match later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

How the hell they got matches finished in the old days before TBs I'll never know.

How the hell they got matches finished in the old days before TBs I'll never know.
    Wooden rackets!

If this goes to a final set we may not see the other match today.

• Advertisement

I think I'll still stick to BBC 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

If this goes to a final set we may not see the other match today.

Can't understand why they didn't start this match earlier, around 11 am instead of 1 pm. Surely the officials could have predicted that it might have been a lengthy match

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Can't understand why they didn't start this match earlier, around 11 am instead of 1 pm. Surely the officials could have predicted that it might have been a lengthy match

Am I recalling right they used to start the big games on Centre/No 1 at 2pm and that's changed not too long ago ?

I can see Novak/Nadal not starting much before 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Perfect, get to watch it at home :)

The people are getting their moneys worth anyway .
    Both womens semi finals were over this time yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Their stamina is absolutely incredible. Seriously in awe of both of them.

• Advertisement

Somebody should tell Anderson that when you break your opponent there's no unwritten rule that says its only sporting to give it right back.

Hope Isner takes this.

Could say that about any match.....they all have potential to go to 5 sets, and some long 5 setters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I can see Novak/Nadal not starting much before 6.

Did I hear them say, it will be played under the roof.

To allow for a late finish maybe (curfew is 11pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Anderson looks about 50. He reminds me of a young Miley Byrne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

This match is so bad. Half the seats in centre are empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rob2D wrote: »

They went to get dinner before Rafole starts

Ok, this can hurry up and end now please.

60/58 Isner in the 5th

Hospitality bigwigs in today ,half of them don't even watch a match .
    Its a crying shame that so many fans cant get tickets .

Whoever wins this won't be recovered for Sunday, no way. Gonna be a terrible final.

But who's to say that Nole/Nadal might not be even more enduring? Remember 2012 Oz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Whoever wins this won't be recovered for Sunday, no way. Gonna be a terrible final.

If they finish today they'll be fine.

It's Novak / Rafa having to play tomorrow that are gonna be the ones struggling on Sunday

Its laughable that a match involving two huge servers is taking over 5 hours .
    The courts need to be sped up ,a match like this 15 years ago would be over in 3 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Rikand wrote: »
    If they finish today they'll be fine.

It's Novak / Rafa having to play tomorrow that are gonna be the ones struggling on Sunday

Why do you think they won’t play tonight? Is that what’s been arranged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yep same here. What are the reasons against a fifth set tie break? Have an issue with it, win the match before such a scenario! Its not a lottery anyhow and the biggest supposed lottery in sport is peno shoot outs which everyone loves.

Or I dunno at 8-8 or 10-10? tie break?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yep same here. What are the reasons against a fifth set tie break? Have an issue with it, win the match before such a scenario! Its not a lottery anyhow and the biggest supposed lottery in sport is peno shoot outs which everyone loves.

Or I dunno at 8-8 or 10-10? tie break?
    The biggest problem with it is that it seriously favours the winners next opponent - not having a TB I mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Inverdale and McEnroe trying so hard to tell us how amazing this is.

The courts need to be sped up ,a match like this 15 years ago would be over in 3 hours.

Back then there was still volleying involved so something had to happen. Here it'll just devolve into holds of serve forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

splinter65 wrote: »
    Why do you think they won’t play tonight? Is that what’s been arranged?

It certainly ain't going to finish tonight.

No TB in the 5th is a crock of fooking sh1t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭Christy42

Back then there was still volleying involved so something had to happen. Here it'll just devolve into holds of serve forever.
    Do I have it wrong? Surely faster courts give a bigger edge to the server making the problem worse?

I might have that wrong but I thought that was partially why smaller servers struggled on grass in comparison to clay (it is still faster than clay/hard even it isn't as fast). Otherwise I would expect bigger servers doing better on clay.

Anyway I want it to keep going a bit. I haven't got home yet for the interesting one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The biggest problem with it is that it seriously favours the winners next opponent - not having a TB I mean

I recall when Isner won that 70-68 match, he went out tamely to a journeyman next match as he was knackered. This is not fair on both players whatsoever and despite the spin its a little boring. People have other things to do with there life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Said i'd have a beer and watch the oul tennis earlier (had a day off work)

Falling off the couch now.

Scuttered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

SlickRic wrote: »
    Inverdale and McEnroe trying so hard to tell us how amazing this is.

It is amazing.

I wouldn't be for the tie-break in the final set myself. I like these unusual occasions. I don't think order of play or time restrictions should be taken into account where the right way to do it is concerned and I don't think a tie break is the right way to do it.

When players are so evenly matched then it should come down to who has the stamina to decide it.

Advertisement