Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I recall when Isner won that 70-68 match, he went out tamely to a journeyman next match as he was knackered. This is not fair on both players whatsoever and despite the spin its a little boring. People have other things to do with there life.

He had to play the following day, though, didnt he, after finishing very late to beat Mahut. He'll have a days rest this time so dont foresee too many issues, especially given his opponent will likely be finishing his match off tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He had to play the following day, though, didnt he, after finishing very late to beat Mahut. He'll have a days rest this time so dont foresee too many issues, especially given his opponent will likely be finishing his match off tomorrow.

They made him play first thing iirc which was a shambles as he had to hang around after the mahut match to be presented awards etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

splinter65 wrote: »
    Why do you think they won’t play tonight? Is that what’s been arranged?
    If Rafa & Nöle don’t get on court soon the chances are they won’t be able to complete tonight, even with roof, as they have to stop playing by 11pm due to a curfew in place by the local council.

Unless it’s a wham bam three setter which is highly unlikely, by the looks of things the current match could last at least another half hour, roof has to go across & then the warm up so that’s another half hour at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

McEnroe, and Inverdale are starting to bore me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A round of golf would be quicker than watching this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

splinter65 wrote: »
    Why do you think they won’t play tonight? Is that what’s been arranged?

Because this game will go on all night

Rikand wrote: »
    Because this game will go on all night

Well till 11 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well the good news is there's no way the final is going to last this long. Will be over inside 2 hours most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,722 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    McEnroe, and Inverdale are starting to bore me.

They're probably a bit bored themselves. That said it's compelling if not exciting. If it was Nadal/Federer and as back and forth and predictable as this the crowd would be wetting themselves

Thought there was going to be a break down.

And so we go on another while.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    They're probably a bit bored themselves. That said it's compelling if not exciting. If it was Nadal/Federer and as back and forth and predictable as this the crowd would be wetting themselves

Its definetly compelling. Dont want to leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,722 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Boys semi final is 13-13 in the final set. Absurd that they have kids play indefinitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The "it's so unfair on these lads" crowd can piss off. They got an advantage to begin with by playing first, nobody clamouring that it was harsh on Nadal-Djokovic. If they want to get off the court one of them just has to play better tennis.

Unless they close the roof, I cant even see Novak/Nadal this evening. Even if they do close it, the match wont be finished by 11, unless its straight sets.

Are we getting near the record for longest/highest score from a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

It looks like these lads arent tryin when theyre not servin - savin energy to serve. Neither willing to go for it on opponents serve to get the win. I hope it ends 100-98.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭Christy42

Maybe Wimbledon should come up with its own tie break.

Most points over a certain period. Less points per game. Anything to end this.

They have shown they can't win it properly so really they can't argue with any system in my view

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I remember that hot lineswoman from previous years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Unless they close the roof, I cant even see Novak/Nadal this evening. Even if they do close it, the match wont be finished by 11, unless its straight sets.

Are we getting near the record for longest/highest score from a few years ago?

I hope it will be postponed. I've had enough tennis for today !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Imagine having a ticket for men's semi final day and getting this. People there must be livid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Rob2D wrote: »
    Imagine having a ticket for men's semi final day and getting this. People there must be livid.

Getting the money's worth anyway.

• Advertisement

Anderson just cant seem to finish it when love 30 up. How many times has that been now?

And we go on another while still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

It's been confirmed (by tennis journalists on Twitter) that the roof will be closed for Djokovic-Nadal. Those conditions will definitely favour Djokovic, he will have a slight edge now for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

Was Pippa Middleton at wimbeldon this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

The worst TV viewing ive ever seen but I just can't switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Anderson goes up 15 love, again!

It's been confirmed (by tennis journalists on Twitter) that the roof will be closed for Djokovic-Nadal. Those conditions will definitely favour Djokovic, he will have a slight edge now for sure

So looking at an 8.30pm start at the very earliest. Assumming this match finishes in the next game or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

With the world cup on I hadn't really gotten into Wimbledon this year, but I was hyped to get home for Nadal v Djokovic. Silly me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

ah calm down ffs, a moment of tennis history

you will be talking about this for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

How is inverdale still employed?

• Advertisement

Dont blow these break points Anderson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Go on Isner

YES!!!

Is this the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

its-happening-gif.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Knew that would work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

I would laugh if isner broke back and this went on for another hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Amazing tennis !

sxt wrote: »
    I would laugh if isner broke back and this went on for another hour

Am already thinking the same will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This is sensational stuff.

One of the tensest games I've ever watched.

Anderson has done it, bring on Novak/Nadal. Dont waste any time closing that roof lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Ok get that bloody roof across NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Anderson has done it, bring on Novak/Nadal. Dont waste any time closing that roof lads.

Dont they need to close it for lights?

Otherwise theyd stop about 9 / 9.30 i think

Another good interview from Anderson. Classy guy, hope he has a good final but not enthusiastic about his chances whoever he faces.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great stuff from Anderson. I feel sorry for Isner, but overall Anderson was better on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Kevin Anderson is a two time grand slam finalist. You'd have got some odds on that a year ago.

Was there never any thought of shifting the lads to Court 1?!

waffleman wrote: »
    Dont they need to close it for lights?

Otherwise theyd stop about 9 / 9.30 i think

I believe so. But this is the first time I remember the roof closing as a result of something else other than the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If Nadal wins SW19 on Sunday it will mean that the last 7 slams have been won by him and RF....that’s a bit sad for the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Castle and Henman very presumptuous...

Maybe Anderson won’t be thoroughly exhausted come Sunday...

Maybe humans can recover. Maybe elite humans can recover. Maybe trained tennis specific humans can recover...

A good solid kip the next two days and plenty of looking after...not possible it could do the trick?

I think they exaggerate the level of fatigue involved to be honest, almost building these guys up to be super human in terms of their physical prowess. Not saying it isn’t impressive, just not sure it’s at the level they’d have you believe. Personally wouldn’t have any worries for Anderson in terms of fitness, but fear he could be mentally flat and underperform that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think Djokovic would've won anyway, but with the roof on, I can see this being straight sets.

That flat hitting kills Nadal on this surface and if Novak stays consistent in that hitting, he can't lose.

He's Nadal's biggest nightmare opponent on this surface by a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Why does closing the roof favour Djokovic? I don't really know anything about the different conditions, apart from some players are better on different court types (i.e. Nadal on clay) so how does the roof / indoors change things?

• Advertisement
Advertisement