Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I also have to point out it's incredibly unfair for the women to get the same prize money as the men.

Williams took just over 1 hour to win her semi final yesterday. Ridiculous and unfair for the men.

I’m sure lots will agree with this, people tend to get quite exercised over the equal pay issue. Regardless of rights and wrongs though, you could argue if you’re talking in terms of match time that Williams has probably spent as much time on court as Djokovic or Nadal over the past 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Djokovic had plenty of chances in that final game. Hopefully he's made to rue them by the end of the breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I’m sure lots will agree with this, people tend to get quite exercised over the equal pay issue. Regardless of rights and wrongs though, you could argue if you’re talking in terms of match time that Williams has probably spent as much time on court as Djokovic or Nadal over the past 2 weeks.
    I really doubt that tbh, Nadals last match wasnt much under 5 hours....

The mens matches also get bigger crowds, they play best of 5 vs 3, so I think i would be OK with them getting paid more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Nadal playing the better tennis but Djokovic playing the more consistent tennis and is taking advantage of Nadal's mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

This is thrilling. Such a shame they have to call time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This is great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

This is outrageous from both of them. Tennis at it's best.

This is great stuff

Absolutely.

I'm not sure there's ever been a player who started out so terrified at the net to become so adept at it. Nadal's touch and feel at it this evening has been sensational.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Absolutely.

I'm not sure there's ever been a player who started out so terrified at the net to become so adept at it. Nadal's touch and feel at it this evening has been sensational.

So you dislike one player for a dramatic improvement in their tennis (which it wasn't, he was always there or thereabouts), but laud another. strange that.

Standard from both has been far better than the previous game however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Reckon if nova was more aggressive he'd win it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

This is gripping.

Weepsie wrote: »
    So you dislike one player for a dramatic improvement in their tennis (which it wasn't, he was always there or thereabouts), but laud another. strange that.

One is an issue of improved skill and technique, the other is a question of strength and stamina. Not that difficult to figure out if you're not blindly chasing down an alley looking for an angle that isn't there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Wish this one could finish tonight. It will be a different game tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

gmisk wrote: »
    I really doubt that tbh, Nadals last match wasnt much under 5 hours....

The mens matches also get bigger crowds, they play best of 5 vs 3, so I think i would be OK with them getting paid more.

True, momentarily forgot the del potro match. I’m not bothered either way to be honest, I see the arguments alright. I think the women are willing to play best of 5, though, and I think there have been plenty of examples where women’s matches outperformed the men’s in terms of sales and tv viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

So entertaining!!! Wish they could get a waiver from council and finish it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Thats just wonderful.

Standard from both has been far better than the previous game however

Also, you clearly don't have a clue what you're on about so feel free to stop embarrassing yourself. Before 2011 Djokovic had won one GS (the 08 Aus Open) and had developed a habit of wilting/quitting/giving up in long, tough matches. That's a statement of fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

To think I was at work this morning thinking I'd miss it. Pity it has to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Nadal really didn't deserve to lose that tiebreak but he has only himself to blame

• Advertisement

What a match. What a tie breaker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

mzungu wrote: »
    Wish this one could finish tonight. It will be a different game tomorrow.

It would be finished by now if the 2 of them didn’t f€@k around so much between points. It is farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Nothing beats watching the best in the world giving absolutely everything to the cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

True, momentarily forgot the del potro match. I’m not bothered either way to be honest, I see the arguments alright. I think the women are willing to play best of 5, though, and I think there have been plenty of examples where women’s matches outperformed the men’s in terms of sales and tv viewers.
    You might find the odd exception but generally mens tennis gets much better viewing figures than womens.
    I found the below fairly easily from 2016 news story.

Excluding Grand Slams, 395million viewers watched WTA Premier events and finals on TV and digital, compared to 973m for ATP events.

Also in 2015 more than double the amount of people watched the men's final versus the women's.

That was a cracking last set especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

One is an issue of improved skill and technique, the other is a question of strength and stamina. Not that difficult to figure out if you're not blindly chasing down an alley looking for an angle that isn't there.

You are talking absolute horsesh1t...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Nadal left that set behind him. Djokovic will want roof closed tomorrow and Nadal will want it opened who decides then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Thought Dipkovic had thrown that tie breaker away a few times, high level stuff from both.

I think both players have to agree to open the roof tomorrow, can't see Djokovic agreeing to it

walshb wrote: »
    You are talking absolute horsesh1t...

Given that what's under discussion is my own thoughts and feelings on players, I can assure you I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nothing beats watching the best in the world giving absolutely everything to the cause

Yes, and I'm sure they would gladly play for free just to win the tournament, something that's so rare these days in professional sport.

Given that what's under discussion is my own thoughts and feelings on players, I can assure you I'm not.

Ok

But seeing as you have these such clear thoughts it’s a wonder why you bother watching the “farce.”

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also, you clearly don't have a clue what you're on about so feel free to stop embarrassing yourself. Before 2011 Djokovic had won one GS (the 08 Aus Open) and had developed a habit of wilting/quitting/giving up in long, tough matches. That's a statement of fact.

2 GS finals, 6 semis by the age of 23/4 (2011 suggest there wasn't much wrong). He won another 19 ATP events before 2010, including 4 or 5 ATP masters titles and one end of year champsionship.

He had a bit of a bad attitude, as he thought his talent alone should win it, but he he went off and improved. Same as Murray. You're the absolute worst kind of sport fan if that's your attitude though.

Great tennis all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I'm not sure there's ever been a player who started out so terrified at the net to become so adept at it.

Not at all. Nadal's touch at the net has always been exemplary. He just rarely went up there. Go back and watch old doubles matches with him and you'll see it there.

On the other hand I think Nole's volleying has really improved. He usen't to be able to land a volley to save his life.

What an entertaining FINAL this is :pac:

2 GS finals, 6 semis by the age of 23/4 (2011 suggest there wasn't much wrong). He won another 19 ATP events before 2010, including 4 or 5 ATP masters titles and one end of year champsionship.

He had a bit of a bad attitude, as he thought his talent alone should win it, but he he went off and improved. Same as Murray. You're the absolute worst kind of sport fan if that's your attitude though.

Great tennis all the same

That’s just it. In 2007 and 2008 he was a “baby” compared to a near peak Nadal and Federer. Nole “peaked” aged 24/25/26...

A brilliant player right from the get go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Watching live tennis from Wimbledon at 11pm. - that was a first.

Great tie-breaker there at the end. Pity it couldn't continue.

You're the absolute worst kind of sport fan if that's your attitude though.

What? Being skeptical of some of the feats of some of these supermen over the last 15 years? I'd rather say the worst sort of fan is the naive twat who buries his head in the sand and pretends everything's ok.

I've followed Nadal's career since he was about 13 years of age and there was a piece on him in my first year Spanish textbook. That's why he's my favourite. Do I think he's in any way above any of the suspicion I hold for any of the others? Categorically not, so there's no hypocrisy in the slightest.

Finally, to reiterate the difference seeing as you have so much difficult understanding it:

Nadal's improvement at the net is a matter of skill and technique. I don't think any sinister elements could improve that, hence I find it particularly admiralty

Djokovic's turnaround from 2011 on was primarily physically driven, although his backhand got better as the years went on.

Can you see the difference in those two things?

And for all my controversial talk of Nadal's improved volleying, it was that half-volley that let him down.

Going to be hard to see Djokovic losing from here. Haven't seen the stats but I'd suspect Nadal hit more winners in that 3rd set. He really got the FHDTL going (whilst Djokovic cranked up the BHDTL) and seemed to be, marginally, holding serve easier. Should hopefully still be a cracker tomorrow.

lostcat wrote: »
    I think both players have to agree to open the roof tomorrow, can't see Djokovic agreeing to it

That seems unfair. It's an outdoor tournament and the roof should only be closed if weather/daylight forces it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Nadal left that 3rd set behind him. Think he would of went on to win anyway if they continued to play, he was really beginning to get on top. Can't see anything other than a Novak win now as he'll be fresh once more

Nadal left that 3rd set behind him. Think he would of went on to win anyway if they continued to play, he was really beginning to get on top. Can't see anything other than a Novak win now as he'll be fresh once more

Some gluten free porridge in the morning will have him flying...

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What a great match this is. Djokovic has to get more aggressive, if he keeps staying so far behind the baseline Nadal will drop shot him to oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Nadal to win this easily.

I have just realised something, this will be the 1st time in Nadal's career that he has won multi slams in consecutive years.

At the age of 32.

With his knees.

He must be on super orange juice!

RIP tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

gmisk wrote: »
    Yeah his wife has dark hair she is very pretty as well, she is lady beside sister.

Not his wife, though. His girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I really enjoyed those three sets. When two of the all time greats go head to head its always a joy to behold

What? Being skeptical of some of the feats of some of these supermen over the last 15 years? I'd rather say the worst sort of fan is the naive twat who buries his head in the sand and pretends everything's ok.

Being skeptical is one thing. You flat out made a very nasty claim about tennis players whose good names have never fallen foul of the rules. They are people, and deserve their name and reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Is there a reason why the roof must remain closed again today ? Surely its an open air competition and no reason to close it on a fine day ?

Being skeptical is one thing. You flat out made a very nasty claim about tennis players whose good names have never fallen foul of the rules. They are people, and deserve their name and reputation.

I'm not the first, I won't be the last and a make no apology for it.

Bury your head in the sand all you want. Tennis has a drugs problem and the dogs in the street know it.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Is there a reason why the roof must remain closed again today ? Surely its an open air competition and no reason to close it on a fine day ?

Because those were the conditions the match was being played under. It's a continuation of that same match. Changing the conditions would have to be agreed on.

I'm not the first, I won't be the last and a make no apology for it.

Bury your head in the sand all you want. Tennis has a drugs problem and the dogs in the street know it.

That has nothing to do with my point about what you “flat” out claimed...

Regarding the roof. Surely it is only used for conditions? If conditions are fine the match must be open roof, regardless of what it was previously?

• Advertisement

Regarding the roof. Surely it is only used for conditions? If conditions are fine the match must be open roof, regardless of what it was previously?

Yes, it was closed for the conditions. You don't then change the conditions in the middle of a match.

If it had started at 1pm, closed for rain at 3pm, they wouldn't then open it at 4pm because the rain had stopped if the same match was still going on.

Perfectly logical. Perfectly fair.

Advertisement