Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay Transactions over €30

Options
  • 29-06-2018 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I read online that some retailers will actually accept Apple Pay even when the transaction cost is over €30. I never see any signs in stores mention if they accept it over €30 or not. So do customers just have to try it every time to see if it works or not in a particular store?

Does anyone know any places themselves? Or is there a list somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

I have used applypay in Elverys for over €30. When I was in a London a few weeks ago most restaurants were promoting the fact there is no restriction. It might just be the fact shops don’t know it can be done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I've paid for over €30 petrol with Apple Pay a few times in a Maxol near me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

TK Maxx will accept Apple Pay over €30. Used my watch earlier there without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Paid €46 in Aldi yesterday with Apple Pay. Cashier in Lidl said she saw a €77 transaction go through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

I regularly use Google Pay to go up to €100 (not Apple ID I know). I think it has to do with if you use fingerprint or FaceID, that extra layer of authentication allows you to go higher. Means you have to explain every time in the shop though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Having installed these and semi supporting them. I can confirm that the default setting is any amount or the same as your card. In order to place a limit. It has to be requested from the terminal support company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

elgriff wrote: »
    I regularly use Google Pay to go up to €100 (not Apple ID I know). I think it has to do with if you use fingerprint or FaceID, that extra layer of authentication allows you to go higher. Means you have to explain every time in the shop though!

It’s nothing to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I pay with apple pay quite a bit for transactions over €30 in Ireland and abroad, I only had issues once soon after it launched in Ireland in Lidl they said machine wasn't ready for transactions over €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

FourFourFM wrote: »

It actually does. Everyone seems to be comparing contactless with apple pay/google.

Using apple pay/google is actually more like putting your pin in as you are authenticating.
    Contactless is limited to €30 as you are not authenticating. No security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

pjproby wrote: »
    Paid €46 in Aldi yesterday with Apple Pay. Cashier in Lidl said she saw a €77 transaction go through.

Lidl advertise that they accept Apple Pay so that would mean without limits so €77 should not be any surprise.

I have spent over €30 in loads of places with Apple Pay without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

As I said, requires a lot of explaining to those who aren't sure what they are talking about...

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/payments-and-transfers/google-pay/google-pay-overview

All high value payments over £30 require the device to have been unlocked using authentication from the account holder via the fingerprint sensor, your PIN, password or pattern for each transaction.

It actually does. Everyone seems to be comparing contactless with apple pay/google.

Using apple pay/google is actually more like putting your pin in as you are authenticating.
    Contactless is limited to €30 as you are not authenticating. No security.

Authentication is in the definition of Apple Pay. That is obvious.

I said it’s nothing to do with it not working over €30. There is no limit on Apple Pay. The limit is set by the merchant’s terminal.

No “explaining” is going to change that at the point of sale.

elgriff wrote: »
    As I said, requires a lot of explaining to those who aren't sure what they are talking about...

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/payments-and-transfers/google-pay/google-pay-overview

All high value payments over £30 require the device to have been unlocked using authentication from the account holder via the fingerprint sensor, your PIN, password or pattern for each transaction.

This is all very obvious. I never said I didn’t know how it works. Facial / Fingerprint / Passcode authentication has got nothing to do with Apple Pay working over €30 or not as there is no limit to Apple Pay. It works regardless of what the spend is.

You could be the most knowledgable person in the world on Apple Pay / Google Pay when you’re at the counter but what’s that going to achieve if the card reader has a limit set for payments that aren’t used with chip and pin.

Apologies if my original comment caused confusion. I believe we’re on the same page.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

This is all very obvious. I never said I didn’t know how it works. Facial / Fingerprint / Passcode authentication has got nothing to do with Apple Pay working over €30 or not as there is no limit to Apple Pay. It works regardless of what the spend is.

You could be the most knowledgable person in the world on Apple Pay / Google Pay when you’re at the counter but what’s that going to achieve if the card reader has a limit set for payments that aren’t used with chip and pin.

Apologies if my original comment caused confusion. I believe we’re on the same page.

Thanks for the info!

Advertisement