Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake EU Passport

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

GarIT wrote: »
    Yeah, anyone caught should serve prison time whatever their nationality or country they are defrauding. I've previously made comments on the double standards of calling Irish illegal imigrants undocumented.

OK, but to call someone working "a lowlife scumbag" is too harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Uboat wrote: »
    And if they don't? They still illegally in USA.

I don't think you're understanding my point.

The gentleman in question used a fake EU passport to try to stay in the EU. A jail sentence, IMHO is an appropriate response to such an action.

Using a fake US Passport to try to stay in the US is essentially the same, therefore anyone doing so should be locked up in the US as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Squatter wrote: »
    Is that a climbdown from your earlier statement that "He should have been let in legally to begin with."

If not, then when are you going to recant?

Oh no I do believe that he should have been let in legally. But the law is the law and while I don't blame him or think less of him for trying to skirt it, it needs to be enforced.

Immigration law is often heartless and nonsensical, but not enforcing it is even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

First of all we didn't present any passport to the customs!!!! He just got that passport to be safe if Garda will stop him on the street ant that's All!!!!

So he bought a forged (or stolen) Irish (or EU) passport while he was in Ireland?

I'm not passing any judgement on that, (because we both know that it was wrong!), but I would be interested in knowing whether it was difficult for him to obtain one and how much it cost him, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

OK, but to call someone working "a lowlife scumbag" is too harsh.

So if another type of criminal was working we can't label them as what they are either?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 olgalitvinenko

And so should everyone in the world who wants to work in Ireland to support their daughter's (or son's) education?

Or, if not, then why should an exception have been made for this lady's father?

Don't know what to say.... The only difference that my dad never broke the law (Except this passport). and at the moment I leave in Ireland for many years and work, pay taxes and so on. have a family and kids. the only thing i want is my parents to be with us.
    It was probably a mistake. but it worked out good for me and now I want to do something for my parents.
    At the first place i think it should be no boarders for people. there are always good and bad people in every country.....

First of all we didn't present any passport to the customs!!!! He just got that passport to be safe if Garda will stop him on the street ant that's All!!!!
    Second - I am from Ukraine and we do have marks and for bachelor degree and for master. in my country we call it Red Diploma what means - marks of distinctions. Google it you smart ass!

Oh so you told or implied to customs that you were on a holiday? Same **** different method.

Don't know what to say.... The only difference that my dad never broke the law (Except this passport). and at the moment I leave in Ireland for many years and work, pay taxes and so on. have a family and kids. the only thing i want is my parents to be with us.
    It was probably a mistake. but it worked out good for me and now I want to do something for my parents.
    At the first place i think it should be no boarders for people. there are always good and bad people in every country.....

To be fair I don't think the passport is the issue. He committed at least two crimes and by far the greater of the two is that he was living in Ireland illegally.

Most ciminals never broke the law except that one law they were caught breaking.

Do you not realise working in Ireland while not here legally is breaking the law? Living here while not here legally is breaking the law?

Using any of the heavily subsidized public transport systems, buying any medicine or many other things is stealing from the Irish taxpayer. And we have to deal with the increased rents and overcrowded houses illegals cause.

Ah c'mon Olga! There's no need for the fluffy lambs, rainbows and unicorn bit! :(

• Advertisement

Go home then, live with them where they can be legally. Does he have a pps number?

I think you're fully of ****. You can't pay tax without having a pps number, you can't get a pps number without being here legally. If he had a pps number for as long as you say he could have just claimed Irish resedency or citizenship.

So he bought a forged (or stolen) Irish (or EU) passport while he was in Ireland?

I'm not passing any judgement on that, (because we both know that it was wrong!), but I would be interested in knowing whether it was difficult for him to obtain one and how much it cost him, please?

I am not aware of detail to be honest. but as i understand it's not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Are you ok with locking up tens of thousands of lowlife Irish citizens scumbags who stay illegally in USA?

I wouldn’t use that language, but yes Irish or not and regardless of which country they are in - someone who enters/resides illegally in a country should be deported no question asked. I don’t care about their story, not enforcing the law only encourages more infrigments and erodes the local population’s trust in democracy and the rule of law. And to be clear both myself and my partner immigrated to Ireland including a lot of efforts and a long wait for her to be legally allowed to join me, so it is not a lack of empathy for immigrants - I very well know how the system works.

If there are situations whereby a majority of citizens in the host society think more people should be allowed to immigrate/stay, immigration laws can be democratically changed to allow for them to do so legally. Encouraging/tolerating them to do it illegally would both threaten the rule of law and be anti-democratic.

ok guys. Thanks for all your comments.
    Unfortunately your opinions can't solve the problem.

Wish you all the best!!!

Bob24 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t use that language, but yes Irish or not and regardless of which country they are in - someone who enters/resides illegally in a country should be deported no question asked. I don’t care about their story, not enforcing the law only encourages more infrigments and erodes the local population’s trust in democracy and the rule of law. And to be clear both myself and my partner immigrated to Ireland including a lot of efforts and a long wait for her to be legally allowed to join me, so it is not a lack of empathy for immigrants - I very well know how the system works.

If there are situations whereby a majority of citizens in host society think more people should be allowed to immigrate/stay, immigration laws can be democratically changed to allow for them to do so legally. Encouraging them to do it illegally would both threaten the rule of law and be anti-democratic.

I'd agree with this. I don't know how you can't have empathy for individuals but the system as a whole needs to be credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭rock22

ok guys. Thanks for all your comments.
    Unfortunately your opinions can't solve the problem.

Wish you all the best!!!
    I am sorry you have to read such awful comments from some posters here.

Welcome to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm still a bit confused. Did your father come to Ireland with the fake passport and use it to gain entry and stay in the country?

Or did you father come and buy a fake one here, what did he use it for, and how did they find out about it?

Honestly, while although his motive was noble using a fake identification for those purposes is fraud and something the EU and Ireland are trying to combat more, due to the increase in movement.

It's hard to know how it will go for your father. Other punishments from around the world for Passport Fraud include (but depends on severity):
    -A fine
    -Removed from the country and banned from entering for a period of time
    -Record of fraud being kept against you in the country
    -Prison sentence

It's an odd one as can't find anything too specific about it for Ireland/EU but others may know.

I will say that although it seems unfair to you, your father must have known the risks he was taken when he decided to get a fake passport. And so while it's a terrible situation for you I don't have too much sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Surely some of the posters here should be getting a ban? Disgusting overreactions.

Keyboard warriors at their finest.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Surely some of the posters here should be getting a ban? Disgusting overreactions.

Keyboard warriors at their finest.

Why? There was nothing racist. Just a strong defense of the immigration system.

RossieMan wrote: »

Surely some of the posters here should be getting a ban?

Or why not deport them while you're at it?

How dare they express strong opinions with which you disagree? The nerve of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No I agree with their premise, just not the way they express it. This is a forum for information, not for bashing on someone looking for information. The OP seems like a genuine person who doesn't deserve some of the ****e been posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Or why not deport them while you're at it?

How dare they express strong opinions with which you disagree? The nerve of them!

Sure throw them all in jail while you're at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You can't pay tax without having a pps number, you can't get a pps number without being here legally..

Not true, he might have used his "Fake EU" passport to get a PPS number, and then paid his fair share of TAX ;).
    Using any of the heavily subsidized public transport systems, buying any medicine or many other things is stealing from the Irish taxpayer.

The level of subsidy on Public transport is quite low, compared to the mainland Europe, but by your standard then, most tourist are stealing from the taxpayer if they get a bus, or "buy something"
    And we have to deal with the increased rents and overcrowded houses illegals cause.

Do you seriously think "undocumented" workers are the cause of the housing crisis, if anything by living in "overcrowded houses", they are helping to solve it.....

Not true, he might have used his "Fake EU" passport to get a PPS number, and then paid his fair share of TAX ;).

The level of subsidy on Public transport is quite low, compared to the mainland Europe, but by your standard then, most tourist are stealing from the taxpayer if they get a bus, or "buy something"

Do you seriously think "undocumented" workers are the cause of the housing crisis, if anything by living in "overcrowded houses", they are helping to solve it.....

I didn't think that would be enough to get a pps number but alright. Tourists contribute a lot to the economy. I didn't say causing it, but contributing to it, everyone is, but the other people contributing to it have a right to be here.

I wasn't saying about uncrowded houses being related the housing crisis. they're a nightmare to live near, and it seems likely that illegals are more likely than other people to live there.

Advertisement