Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fastest way to fill a back garden pool

• 29-06-2018 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Spent the evening rigging a 3/4 inch pipe from the attic tank down to the pool. I had to drain the tank which is a bit of a **** thing to do with the water shortage but worth it. It’s a huge pool about the size of a normal patio I half filled it tonight to see how it goes. Took about an hour and a half. I’d say it’ll be quicker once the tank fills right up and increases the pressure.

So people of after hours, while I wait for the pool to drain and have a can, what’s the quickest way to fill a pool?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Invite everybody around for a piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Popcorn is'a pop'n :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Get a farmer with a slurry spreader to pump some water out of the local river and fill it for you.

Water might be a bit sh1tty, but at least you'll have the pool filled quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A hosepipe ban is coming into force on Monday, so fill your boots (not literally, as that would be unnecessary and uncomfortable) between now and then.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/heatwave/ireland-swelters-amid-confirmation-a-hosepipe-ban-is-to-be-imposed-in-dublin-from-monday-37064414.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Work away, don't mind them. They'll get desperate in a few days, out to go au natural.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

A hosepipe ban is coming into force on Monday, so fill your boots (not literally, as that would be unnecessary and uncomfortable) between now and then.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/heatwave/ireland-swelters-amid-confirmation-a-hosepipe-ban-is-to-be-imposed-in-dublin-from-monday-37064414.html

It’s not a hose pipe it’s 3/4 inch qual-pex direct from my tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Blast it with piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have an outside tap and a hose

The joys of middle age

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Spent the evening rigging a 3/4 inch pipe from the attic tank down to the pool. I had to drain the tank which is a bit of a **** thing to do with the water shortage but worth it. It’s a huge pool about the size of a normal patio I half filled it tonight to see how it goes. Took about an hour and a half. I’d say it’ll be quicker once the tank fills right up and increases the pressure.

So people of after hours, while I wait for the pool to drain and have a can, what’s the quickest way to fill a pool?

I thought you were some kind of plumber, working on the sites and all that.
    With all your experience and perfect health, I would have thought you would have the solution in your non-office job brain.

I have an outside tap and a hose

The joys of middle age

It was on the list. But then I said feck it if they cut the pressure I want to have a feed off my tank for the pool.

• Advertisement

yesto24 wrote: »
    I thought you were some kind of plumber, working on the sites and all that.
    With all your experience and perfect health, I would have thought you would have the solution in your non-office job brain.

I did hence the 3/4 inch pipe off the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Standpipe key and bar, bit of 60mm hose and you'll be done in 7mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It’s not a hose pipe it’s 3/4 inch qual-pex direct from my tank.

Oh, well that's ok then.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Standpipe key and bar, bit of 60mm hose and you'll be done in 7mins.

I thought of that but I think it’s a legal grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

When your finished using it as a pool just put in some fish and use it as a pond

EPAndlee wrote: »
    When your finished using it as a pool just put in some fish and use it as a pond

Then I’d have to feed them and all. Feck that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Build the pool in the sea

hairyslug wrote: »
    Build the pool in the sea

The thread title says fill a back garden pool.

I like your ingenuity I really do. But it’s too late to start a thread asking how to move the sea to the back garden.

Draining away nicely think I’ll go inside. Don’t want to get my feet wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Have you got a lifeguard for that thing?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Have you got a lifeguard for that thing?

It was only a test and half filled. Tomorrow I might have to get the red shorts on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What's in the cage?

What's in the cage?

The wife.

It’s an old fire guard keeping all the junk that needs to be skipped away from the baby. The amount of skips I’m going through lately, jaysis that’s a whole new thread. A lot of home improvements being forced upon me.

How do you feel when people insult travellers on here?

Hammer89 wrote: »
    How do you feel when people insult travellers on here?

I told the clock fella he cracked me up every time and I got a mod thingy.

I don’t mind travelers though. When I was young there was a halting site across the road from my house. We went to school together.

I told the clock fella he cracked me up every time and I got a mod thingy.

I don’t mind travelers though. When I was young there was a halting site across the road from my house. We went to school together.

I was actually suggesting that your back garden looks a bit like a travellers front garden, as a joke. That's what John Connors meant when he said he had a swimming pool in his gaf.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I was actually suggesting that your back garden looks a bit like a travellers front garden, as a joke. That's what John Connors meant when he said he had a swimming pool in his gaf.

Ah it’s not Facebook people have real lives. I’ve a bathroom to redo. New downstairs floors and a bit of a kitchen rejig on while I work full time.

Do the kids still say #nofilter

Do golf courses still water their grass today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Looks like you might want to move it from resting on the edge of those bricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Do golf courses still water their grass today?

No unnecessary water usage, so no.

Entire thread is a thinly veiled "look at me: I'm wasting water before the ban comes in" hard man shtick.

Looks like you might want to move it from resting on the edge of those bricks.

It’s patio I’ll drag it over a bit before I fill it today.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    No unnecessary water usage, so no.

Entire thread is a thinly veiled "look at me: I'm wasting water before the ban comes in" hard man shtick.

Jesus every shop in Dublin has sold out of pools near enough. I’m nothing special. The kids love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Jesus every shop in Dublin has sold out of pools near enough. I’m nothing special. The kids love them.

Saves on baths sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Why didn't you just T off the mains pipe into the tank and put a valve on it?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Why didn't you just T off the mains pipe into the tank and put a valve on it?

Haha you see this is where the technical advice from a plumber will save you in the long run.

Say they cut the pressure during the day to stop the pools filling. I have an attic tank full of water to fill the pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Why not fill it at night? (Or ideally don't and go to the beach or something)

TheChizler wrote: »
    Why not fill it at night? (Or ideally don't and go to the beach or something)

I read a thread on here about the local beach sounds like the atmosphere is a bit more uncomfortable than the atmosphere in the back garden. I also don’t have to put the kids in the car and drive home from the back garden which helps when you like a fizzy drink or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

That’s pretty grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Haha you see this is where the technical advice from a plumber will save you in the long run.

Say they cut the pressure during the day to stop the pools filling. I have an attic tank full of water to fill the pool.

Haha. I mentioned before, I do enjoy your posts.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    That’s pretty grim.

Yeah soggy socks is no laughing matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Outdoor swimming pools, the new decking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

If you filled it last night, why are you draining it again??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So, you would prefer to draw from the attic tank to fill a pool, leaving you with less water for washing and flushing toilets during mains pressure reductions?
    If you had of thought it out, you would see it was less work fitting a garden tap from the kitchen mains and filled your pool from that. Even with reduced water mains pressure the head of pressure may not reach a tank but would still feed a low level draw off point leaving what is in storage intact.

Outdoor swimming pools, the new decking.

They really are. Probably the new property. I’m hoping to flip my outdoor pool in two years and buy one 4 times the size because the prices are going up. I was talking to neighbour this morning and he congratulated me on getting on the outdoor pool ladder. He said it was nice for a starter pool and when him and the wife started out they got a little paddling pool in Leixlip. Now they have a hard plastic one located within spitting distance of Beaumont hospital. Drink holders on the side and everything.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    So, you would prefer to draw from the attic tank to fill a pool, leaving you with less water for washing and flushing toilets during mains pressure reductions?
    If you had of thought it out, you would see it was less work fitting a garden tap from the kitchen mains and filled your pool from that. Even with reduced water mains pressure the head of pressure may not reach a tank but would still feed a low level draw off point leaving what is in storage intact.

You should really only take your kitchen tap and tank off the mains. What you describe is fairly common but not great plumbing practice. If everybody ran their outside tap at once the mains pressure would drop to nothing. That’s why a lot of people think their pressure is dropping, It’s actually half of Dublin filling their pools off the mains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What feckin size is your attic tank???? I have a similar pool to yours and it takes 2700L to fill it, I filled mine nearly 3 weeks ago with a hose from the outside tap. I have a cover and filter for it so the water stays clean.

Sadb wrote: »
    If you filled it last night, why are you draining it again??

There’s be bird droppings and leafs in it by now if I didn’t. I thought I had tarp to cover it but it must have went in one of the skips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

There’s be bird droppings and leafs in it by now if I didn’t. I thought I had tarp to cover it but it must have went in one of the skips.

Fitted bed sheet on top and some Milton into the water and no more arsing with filling and draining!

What feckin size is your attic tank???? I have a similar pool to yours and it takes 2700L to fill it, I filled mine nearly 3 weeks ago with a hose from the outside tap. I have a cover and filter for it so the water stays clean.

You wouldn’t believe it if you seen my attic tank setup. It looks like a train with loads of carriages linked to each other. The wife went out and bought it I’d have gone with the filter and cover myself but she used a bicycle pump cello taped to the valve to fill it with air, so in a survival situation she’s quite good but she could have planned it better, I agree.

Sadb wrote: »
    Fitted bed sheet on top and some Milton into the water and no more arsing with filling and draining!

I’ll try that tonight thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement